Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Z Cars

Was looking up the IMDB on this old telly police series and was amazed it had run so long. There were loads of regular actors playing cops - ie they were 'okay' actors playing fairly easy parts - obviously some of these haven't been over-burdened with work since. A few like Douglas Fielding, Sebastian Breaks and David Dakar would still net obits. Does anyone know what state of health they're in?

I noticed Breaks doesn't even have a date of birth on his IMDB entry.

• Like 1

You asked for it. (admittedly that was six years ago). Surprinsungly many of the cast are still with us. Those that have died include Stratford Johns, Derek Waring & David Jackson.

This list includes those that Wikipedia lists as main cast members who actually have their own page. It is interesting to note that not a single female cast member is included.

James Ellis (1931) - James is the only cast member to appear in all series

Frank Windsor (1927)

Brian Blessed (1936)

Colin Welland (1934)

Jeremy Kemp (1935)

Geoffrey Whitehead (1939)

Marcus Hammond (?)

David Daker (1935)

Stephen Yardley (1942)

Bernard Holley (1940)

Joss Ackland (1928)

John Woodvine (1929)

Paul Angelis (1943) - Brother of Michael and provided the voice for Ringo in the Yellow Submarine film

Ian Cullen (1939)

Geoffrey Hayes (1942) - Better known for presenting Rainbow

Allan O' Keefe (?)

Ray Lonnen (1940)

So most of them are now in their early seventies but a few are older but a lot of them may have been discussed elsewhere but I am certainly going to add Frank Windsor to my data base.

A lot of them have also cropped up in Doctor Who or Blake's 7.

On Monday I switched over to BBC1 Northern Ireland to witness the end of analogue TV. They had a special programme called The Magic Box, celebrating Norn Iron TV in the analogue age. On it reminiscing was James Ellis. He looked old, but still had his faculties...

Colin Welland has died at 81, complications from alzheimers. Link to follow. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11972463/Colin-Welland-dies-at-81.html

Yes I know he could have gone in the Oscar Winners thread. One lucky DDP team's chariot is on fire.

I hate Kes.

We were made to read the book at school. I think I might promote Barry Hines to my theme team.

Colin Welland has died at 81, complications from alzheimers. Link to follow. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11972463/Colin-Welland-dies-at-81.html

Yes I know he could have gone in the Oscar Winners thread. One lucky DDP team's chariot is on fire.

Things were ruined when Eastenders decided to cast Wellard the dog.

I could never separate Welland from Wellard.

Guest Guest

You asked for it. (admittedly that was six years ago). Surprinsungly many of the cast are still with us. Those that have died include Stratford Johns, Derek Waring & David Jackson.

This list includes those that Wikipedia lists as main cast members who actually have their own page. It is interesting to note that not a single female cast member is included.

James Ellis (1931) - James is the only cast member to appear in all series

Frank Windsor (1927)

Brian Blessed (1936)

Colin Welland (1934)

Jeremy Kemp (1935)

Geoffrey Whitehead (1939)

Marcus Hammond (?)

David Daker (1935)

Stephen Yardley (1942)

Bernard Holley (1940)

Joss Ackland (1928)

John Woodvine (1929)

Paul Angelis (1943) - Brother of Michael and provided the voice for Ringo in the Yellow Submarine film

Ian Cullen (1939)

Geoffrey Hayes (1942) - Better known for presenting Rainbow

Allan O' Keefe (?)

Ray Lonnen (1940)

So most of them are now in their early seventies but a few are older but a lot of them may have been discussed elsewhere but I am certainly going to add Frank Windsor to my data base.

A lot of them have also cropped up in Doctor Who or Blake's 7.

3 have died in the last 3 years( Colin Welland, James Ellis and Ray Lonnen).At t hat rate it will take another 14 years for all of them to die

Talking of Frank Windsor (in connection with Dear John of all things), he turned 91 earlier this month.

Any recent sightings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Talking of Frank Windsor (in connection with Dear John of all things), he turned 91 earlier this month.

Any recent sightings?

Ghost Light has just been shown on Twitch

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Any recent sightings?

I've had a good look for things posted on the internet in the last year and the only things I can find are all relating to historical stuff.  :(

• Like 1

Happy 78th birthday to Bernard Holley! :birthday:

Ah, also in a few Doctor Who things...

• Like 1

John Wreford, who appeared as PC Jackson n the series, has died aged 75: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/john-wreford-hotchkiss-75-actor-pr-executive-and-fisherman-who-had-a-fly-named-after-him-3tr3h7lr9

Also appeared in the first Star Wars movie and Dalek Invasion Of Earth 2150 AD.

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1635261/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

John Woodvine

Superintendent Ross. Unforgettable.

7 hours ago, En Passant said:

Superintendent Ross. Unforgettable.

I'll take your word for that. I loved him as Frank's dad in Shameless.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'll take your word for that. I loved him as Frank's dad in Shameless.

Edge of Darkness is fantastic. That's the 6 part series and not the 90 minute film with Mel Gibson, naturally. Oh, and so is An American Werewolf in London. Armageddon Factor is less fantastic, mind you. Top actor. Similar vintage to the also seen in bloody everything Geoffrey Palmer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Edge of Darkness is fantastic. That's the 6 part series and not the 90 minute film with Mel Gibson, naturally. Oh, and so is An American Werewolf in London. Armageddon Factor is less fantastic, mind you. Top actor. Similar vintage to the also seen in bloody everything Geoffrey Palmer.

Was in Knights of God and the 1996 BBC adaptation of Persuasion. In The Armageddon Factor the scenes with him and Tom Baker are great its everything else that's a bit rubbish.

• Like 1

Twitter indicating Jeremy Kemp may have died.

Needs further investigation, guv.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Was in Jonathan Miller's BBC Shakespeare version of The Winters Tale with Robert Stephens and Anne Calder Marshall 

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Guardian QO for Jeremy Kemp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2006 at 15:00, maryportfuncity said:

Was looking up the IMDB on this old telly police series and was amazed it had run so long. There were loads of regular actors playing cops - ie they were 'okay' actors playing fairly easy parts - obviously some of these haven't been over-burdened with work since. A few like Douglas Fielding, Sebastian Breaks and David Dakar would still net obits. Does anyone know what state of health they're in?

I noticed Breaks doesn't even have a date of birth on his IMDB entry.

You are right.

Douglas Fielding's death was reported elsewhere on the Forum, The Times definitely went with the Z Cars theme: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/douglas-fielding-obituary-08xphs58q

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

You are right.

Douglas Fielding's death was reported elsewhere on the Forum, The Times definitely went with the Z Cars theme: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/douglas-fielding-obituary-08xphs58q

Interesting read - married four times!

BBC have just reported Frank Windsor's death. RIP.

• Like 3