Valdreth

Department S

Hi there,

I'm new to this site so this may have been asked before. Is Peter Wyngarde on this list anywhere or does anyone know what's happened to him. Does he still have all that hair??? V x

Welcome aboard, Peter Wyngarde (Jason King) has been mentioned frequently in dispatches hereabouts, most notably in the Richard O'Sullivan thread here

However, as the sprawling monstrosity that is the R O'S thread has mentioned in passing about 84% of the worlds population, that's not such a surprise.

There is a 'Search' box down at the bottom left of the main forum screen, but after using that a few times, you'll wish I hadn't told you that. It's a temperamental piece of machinery, held together by chewing gum and sticky-backed plastic, a little like The African Queen in that film whose name I can't recall.

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=45&st=855&p=48687entry48687' target="_blank">

You had to laugh with the Jason King character having all the girls swooning over him - probably Peter Wyngarde's worst nightmare!

DWB :lol:

Wyngarde's getting on a bit (b.1933) , plus in famous TV roles he was renowned for smoking 50 fags and drinking 2 bottles of claret in every episode. Then again, he was born in Marseille, so there's the 'French Paradox' working.

As the owner of a copy of Wyngarde's bizarre popular music album let it be said the man is a one off. I think we established on the Dickie O thread that he's now an Australian resident and not 'working' of late, but still alive. I think the 1933 birthdate may - like - be flattering him a bit.

Mmmm, still not able to find much on T'internet about him. After trawling around in Google when I should have been doing housewifey things all I could find out was that he went to Australia following "an unsavoury incident at a bus stop" and that in a popular women's magazine in the 70s he was the man most women wanted to lose their virginity to! I'm not sure which of these is most disturbing! Vx

• Haha 1

He appeared in After They Were Famous in 2002, can't say I saw it myself but someone surfing hereabouts must have.

Mmmm, still not able to find much on T'internet about him. After trawling around in Google when I should have been doing housewifey things all I could find out was that he went to Australia following "an unsavoury incident at a bus stop" and that in a popular women's magazine in the 70s he was the man most women wanted to lose their virginity to! I'm not sure which of these is most disturbing! Vx

Anubis the Jackal gives a link to what there is of the bus station story. A couple of years ago he had rather a louche web-site but its gone, alas.

Seemingly the place Peter Wyngarde's death should really be mentioned despite all of the reports elsewhere.

So I'll do it. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/18/actor-peter-wyngarde-department-s-dies

Now, does this mean that Derren Nesbitt is the only surviving Number Two from The Prisoner, hmm?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Seemingly the place Peter Wyngarde's death should really be mentioned despite all of the reports elsewhere.

So I'll do it. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jan/18/actor-peter-wyngarde-department-s-dies

Now, does this mean that Derren Nesbitt is the only surviving Number Two from The Prisoner, hmm?

Rachel Herbert, the twist ending Number 2 from Free for All (sorry if you've not seen it), is still with us, born 1935 iirc.

Nesbitt still going, yes, though his career pretty much died a death after being convicted of domestic assault.

Just now, msc said:

Rachel Herbert, the twist ending Number 2 from Free for All (sorry if you've not seen it), is still with us, born 1935 iirc.

Nesbitt still going, yes, though his career pretty much died a death after being convicted of domestic assault.

I've seen them all, I'd forgotten about her. But of course, she was credited as Number Fifty Eight? *runs off to check whether she was actually Number Two or about to become Number Two* ;)

Just now, YoungWillz said:

I've seen them all, I'd forgotten about her. But of course, she was credited as Number Fifty Eight? *runs off to check whether she was actually Number Two or about to become Number Two* ;)

iirc she is fully revealed as the new Number 2 by end of the episode. So she counts even if she is credited under a disguise. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

iirc she is fully revealed as the new Number 2 by end of the episode. So she counts even if she is credited under a disguise. :D

She is.

Be seeing you.

• Like 4

:clivedunn:

I think this thread has the longest gap between posts I've seen on this website just shy of 11 years.

I've also wanted to watch the prisoner for a while now though I've heard mixed reviews about it. Some saying its a waste of time and others saying its a must watch.

I never had the slightest idea what was going on, but it was compulsive viewing.  :D

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

:clivedunn:

What are you going to do when someone really popular like Sean Connery dies? Declare that just the first posting counts & berate all the fans who dare to post a link to other websites? 

For many people like myself, who were children during the 1970ies, Peter Wyngarde was some kind of cult star. Department S & Jason King were two of the few shows for grown-ups my parents allowed me to watch & this actor gave me great pleasure.   

• Like 1

I think he was more pointing out that you posted an obit from The Daily Fail when someone else had already posted an obit from a much, much more respected source (Guardian) in the same ~15 hours
aka the daily fail link was redundant, could've just provided an opinion maybe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, the_engineer said:

I think this thread has the longest gap between posts I've seen on this website just shy of 11 years.

Don't give folk a challenge.

The great Rikki Fulton's thread has gone without reply since February 2005, after all, on the spurious grounds that he's dead. :D

How to spot he died before the mass Scot influx on this forum? None of the posters at the time have a clue who he fucking was, for shame!

7 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

I think he was more pointing out that you posted an obit from The Daily Fail when someone else had already posted an obit from a much, much more respected source (Guardian) in the same ~15 hours
aka the daily fail link was redundant, could've just provided an opinion maybe.

I don't have a problem with multiple obit sources.  Sometimes one will have an interesting fact or anecdote not covered in the others.

7 hours ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

this actor gave me great pleasure.   

Rumour has it that he gave great pleasure to various other actors, so you are not alone  :lol:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, msc said:

Don't give folk a challenge.

The great Rikki Fulton's thread has gone without reply since February 2005, after all, on the spurious grounds that he's dead. :D

How to spot he died before the mass Scot influx on this forum? None of the posters at the time have a clue who he fucking was, for shame!

To be honest I thought they got rid of all the old threads/posts when they updated the website . I used to be able to only go back until like 2012 with regards to my posts , but just checked now and they go back to 2009 .

14 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

To be honest I thought they got rid of all the old threads/posts when they updated the website . I used to be able to only go back until like 2012 with regards to my posts , but just checked now and they go back to 2009 .

Threads go to 2004 looking on a laptop here?

Oldest non-locked thread is this:

Just goes to show, Deathlist certs getting grim diagnosis at the wrong time of year has been a tradition as long as the forums been around!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, msc said:

Threads go to 2004 looking on a laptop here?

Oldest non-locked thread is this:

Just goes to show, Deathlist certs getting grim diagnosis at the wrong time of year has been a tradition as long as the forums been around!

I think Peggy Roofer is the oldest; 15th September 2003.