Death Watch Beatle

Stan Lee

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Stan Lee has a huge cultural impact that is still very relevant today that Kissinger and Mugabe don't have. That why he is way too big to miss...

Kissinger very much has a political impact, even today. Mugabe is a trend setter, first Deathlist pick to post on Deathlist Forums.

Lee's cool enough (speaking from a complete lack of interest in comics) but doesn't jump out, tbh!

Anyhow, he should stay on the list as he'll likely be dead within the year.

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Is he? Next to the frequently dropped Mugabe and Kissinger?

I would say all 3 need to be in every future DL until their death.

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Kissinger very much has a political impact, even today. Mugabe is a trend setter, first Deathlist pick to post on Deathlist Forums.

Lee's cool enough (speaking from a complete lack of interest in comics) but doesn't jump out, tbh!

Anyhow, he should stay on the list as he'll likely be dead within the year.

All 3 are incredibly famous but all seem set to last to 2018.

1 minute ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

All 3 are incredibly famous but all seem set to last to 2018.

It's completely unscientific, but never rule out healthy old guys just keeling over after a long term partner goes. iirc up to 18 months after a spouse death is the danger zone for OAP men - live through that and you're as likely to live on for a bit.

A very healthy celebrity who were old and healthy at the time can go very quickly anytime. Christopher Lee and Chuck Berry immediately come into mind.

Lauren Bacall Mickey Rooney George Cole P D James Pete Seeger Don Rickles and Roger Moore come to mind.

4 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Lauren Bacall Mickey Rooney George Cole P D James Pete Seeger Don Rickles and Roger Moore come to mind.

Actually, there were some health issues with Rickles iirc before his death, but the others are good examples. It could happen to anyone anytime, so it's never should be shocking for a nonagenarian to die at some point. 

Pete Seeger went about 6 months after his wife of 70 years.

Anyone who thinks Stan Lee isn't famous enough is an out of touch dinosaur who should shut the fuck up.

• Like 1

I think one can argue that Stan Lee only had a major impact on two generations: The Baby Boomers in the 1960s, and the millenials onwards with the introduction of the mcu. But if he dies and he wasn't on the list, you'll certainly hear the majority of the millennials (maybe not the baby boomers as there doesn't seem to be a lot on here) complaining about why he wasn't on the list cause he's still very relevant in their world today.

• Like 1

Stan Lee amongst my age group will be seen as a colossal loss.Marvel films and comics have been the soundtrack to our lives.The first comic I ever bought was a marvel.The first VHS I got was a Marvel.My first date was a marvel film at the cinema.Must have seen at least a dozen Marvel films at the cinema. Stan Lee for many my age can simply not be overstated as a cultural icon.When he dies it will be no 1 trending on all social media and will make the news at ten.No one over 15 does not know who he is.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think one can argue that Stan Lee only had a major impact on two generations: The Baby Boomers in the 1960s, and the millenials onwards with the introduction of the mcu. But if he dies and he wasn't on the list, you'll certainly hear the majority of the millennials (maybe not the baby boomers as there doesn't seem to be a lot on here) complaining about why he wasn't on the list cause he's still very relevant in their world today.

Stan Lee will be a huge death.Guaranteed news at 6 and 10 coverage in England and the US.

9 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

.No one under 15 does not know who he is.

Pretty sure my niece doesn't. She's 2 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JR976evil said:

Pretty sure my niece doesn't. She's 2 

Maybe he should've clarified that to anyone between the ages 5 - 15...

I meant over.

I think there's probably a massive swathe of the population who have never looked at a Marvel comic.

9 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think there's probably a massive swathe of the population who have never looked at a Marvel comic.

True, but even if they haven't looked at a comic, I would suspect at least 7 out of 10 people who haven't touched a comic, if not more, would've still at least heard of Stan Lee in some way, shape, or form. And without those people, he still has a following massive enough to guarantee massive news. Not the news coverage like Bowie or Jackson was, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had more news coverage than Prince, for example. 

Leonard Nimoy was a hit 2 years back, and I'm pretty sure a certain amount of the population has never seen a Star Trek film, yet, he still got a lot of news coverage at his death...

2 hours ago, msc said:

Is there any people that were on the deathlist to wear deathlist merchandise or something? I think I remember seeing someone looking back a couple of years ago who died and he was wearing a deathlist shirt/deathlist mug.

19 minutes ago, Toast said:

And they are all in retirement homes or on their way to them, grandma!

No, can't think.

143_2de69cf0040e5a951c28397e2e2d5104.jpg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, msc said:

No, can't think.

143_2de69cf0040e5a951c28397e2e2d5104.jpg

Ultimate DL legend!

4 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Ultimate DL legend!

Even more of a legend than this guy? 

IMG_0419.JPG

17 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

And they are all in retirement homes or on their way to them, grandma!

Just for accuracy, wanker:  I'm not a grandma. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just for accuracy, wanker:  I'm not a grandma. 

Give it a couple of years.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Give it a couple of years.

IMG_0420.GIF