maryportfuncity

John Hogan

Yer man John Hogan has been giving it some ferocious over-acting since his base jumping career stalled at the first attempt. He's on suicide watch in a secure psychiatric unit in Greece.

Given the dumbing down of news and the rest, how long before he goes from this to the suject of posts on sick message boards and gradually takes on an Ian Huntley kind of status? Cos when that happens he'd qualify for an obit in the national press. So - in other words - if he stays a complete suicidal nutcase for - say - three years, is he worth listing for us?

Actually Maryport I cannot even see listing him now...except perhaps in the Who the f..king bloody Hell is this? cartemaway category.

Maybe we ought to toss him off a much higher balcony as well...(we too can claim manic depression) this time though he will be going solo.

I don't think he's worth listing, being a complete waste of space, but whether he should or not is an interesting point. There's such a high turn-over of fame & celebrity these days that obits could appear for some twat who's been famous for F**k-all for fifteen seconds, and also obits for another twat who was once famous for fifteen seconds for F**k-all, but has been remembered by the obits editor who thinks someone else might. After all, as the concensus behind editorial opinion changes, who's to say what the criteria would be for getting in there? Editorial follows what it thinks the demographic of the paper might be: in a few years, the Times could be pandering to a Sun style demographic. Which makes the kind of rules that exist here obsolete. So, do they get changed and adapted, or what? And on whose say-so? And how in touch with what's happening in the mainstream media are those who make the rules (or how much do they want to be)? Just askin', like...

Quite true pulphack. The demise of Jade Goody's dad last year got quite a lot of press coverage, viz the drug abusing father of one such "celebrity" who has certainly outstayed her 15 minutes. I may even have been guilty of posting it on here - slapped wristies (well, maybe things were a bit quiet!).

Entirely my point guys, I wouldn't consider listing the sorry chore (that's Cumrbian for cartemaway, Bruno) for 2007. But the hideousness of the crime will give him lasting cult status, certainly whilst he's alive and once his name becomes a byword for the worst case scenario in a domestic argument he'll have achieved celebrity status of a sort. As a yardstick, Ronnie Biggs will be obituaried by everyone when he goes. Had he died on the day of sentencing in the sixties there'd have been an outcry to see him so treated. Time changes everything, or summat.

I imagine had Hogan's crime took place at the year end he have made his way on to a few DDP lists. Not mine of course.

I'm going to make myself unpopular now but I feel slightly sorry for him.

I imagine had Hogan's crime took place at the year end he have made his way on to a few DDP lists. Not mine of course.

Me too Handrejka, the man is mentally ill and certainly seems to have suffered some recent personal intranquilities. He should be sent back to the UK and given proper psychiatric care and not be paraded in front of TV cameras like a modern day freakshow exhibit.

I felt even more sorry for his poor mother, who has already lost 2 of her 3 sons to suicide.

Handrejka - Did I read somewhere you are a Fairport Convention fan? What a sensible person you are. :)

Me too Handrejka, the man is mentally ill and certainly seems to have suffered some recent personal intranquilities. He should be sent back to the UK and given proper psychiatric care and not be paraded in front of TV cameras like a modern day freakshow exhibit.

I felt even more sorry for his poor mother, who has already lost 2 of her 3 sons to suicide.

Handrejka - Did I read somewhere you are a Fairport Convention fan? What a sensible person you are. :)

Well put DDT. I'm not posting any more in this thread because as you say he clearly needs help and not to be paraded round.

I am indeed a Fairport Convention fan, though I think I've ruined any credibility that may have got me by admitting to listening to the Carpenters more than one should.

Plunge Death Dad on Suicide Watch

Question is, will he make it to Christmas?

He might make it, but I would say the long term outlook is pretty bleak. One of the photos I saw of him in the paper looked like a nurse was putting a glass thermometer in his mouth. All he needed to do was bite the end off the thermometer and the mercury would have trickled down his throat, thus possibly achieving his stated ambition of death. :)

I was a little moralistic in my earlier post (apart from the bit about Fairport Convention) and I am considering him for my DDP 2007 list. Which leads me to ask - has anyone ever scored the extra points for a suicide on The DDP?

Which leads me to ask - has anyone ever scored the extra points for a suicide on The DDP?

No, not yet.

I remember them saying that Milosevic could be the first, but that hope was dashed. Amazingly, considering some selections, no-one chose Harold Shipman.

Plunge Death Dad on Suicide Watch

Question is, will he make it to Christmas?

He might make it, but I would say the long term outlook is pretty bleak. One of the photos I saw of him in the paper looked like a nurse was putting a glass thermometer in his mouth. All he needed to do was bite the end off the thermometer and the mercury would have trickled down his throat, thus possibly achieving his stated ambition of death. :)

I was a little moralistic in my earlier post (apart from the bit about Fairport Convention) and I am considering him for my DDP 2007 list. Which leads me to ask - has anyone ever scored the extra points for a suicide on The DDP?

Don't think I could bring myself to select him for the DDP, I'd feel bad about collecting the points if he killed himself. The whole situation is just so tragic.

I'll stick to selecting the extremely elderly or terminally ill, much better Karma.

I'll stick to selecting the extremely elderly or terminally ill, much better Karma.

Not to mention a much better position in the scoreboard as well.

Don't think I could bring myself to select him for the DDP, I'd feel bad about collecting the points if he killed himself. The whole situation is just so tragic.

It's a toughie mind, if he wants to go and half his family think it a good idea, not to mention folks who read The Sun......

The BBC news ticker is reporting Hogan has made a failed suicide attempt.

I think it must have been a few days ago, as he's been in the hospital unit for a little while now, I think. But maybe not...

1 COURTS Crete, 1705

FATHER ACCUSED OF MURDERING SON TRIES TO KILL HIMSELF<QA1>

By Nick Foley, PA<QA1>

A British father who is accused of killing his six-year-old son in a fall from

a hotel balcony made an unsuccessful attempt to kill himself in prison, his

lawyer said today.<QA1>

Businessman John Hogan, 32, is accused of killing his son Liam, when they

plunged 50ft from the fourth floor during a family holiday on Crete.<QA1>

The boy and his sister, Mia, two, were allegedly being held by their father

when he jumped from the building on August 15.<QA1>

Hogan, 32, from Bradley Stoke, Bristol, cut his wrists in Korydallos Prison in

Athens, two days after being charged with Liam’s murder and the attempted murder

of Mia.<QA1>

His lawyer, Dimitris Xyritakis, told The Press Association: “Mr Hogan is in

prison in Korydallos, where he attempted suicide.<QA1>

“He tried to cut his arms and had the tool to do it.<QA1>

“He is now in the hospital in the prison, but was not successful in his

suicide.”<QA1>

mfl

[serious for once] I don't feel sorry for him at all. If he had killed a child unknown to him he'd be villified, mental illness or not. The fact that they were his children makes it worse in my opinion.

I wonder if Mrs Hogan is biding her time. She has one child left so I dare say she doesn't want to go down for G.B.H just yet. [/serious]

If I was Mrs Hogan I'd be ringing a showbiz agent and going down for Celebrity Love Island, and any other excuse for making money without doing any real work.

Erm.......I'll see meself out, alright.

There's a very similar thing in this morning's Sun (too tired and tipsy to find a link) about an ex-para who stabbed his little kid to death before topping himself. I expect this whole malarkey isn't terribly uncommon but that, like when dangerous dogs atrocities were all the rage, once one is reported others are [cf the whole silly stuff about stabbings during the recent knives amnesty...]

Should I have posted this in the "drunk and rambling thread"...? Maybe I can come back and edit in a link...?

On another note, while I'm rambling -- somebody mentioned somewhere that it wasn't obvious that James Randi would get an obit; he will.

And whilst drivelling like this: I was going to start a thread about organ donor matters, my thought being that people on this forum would be more likely to have a sane, pragmatic approach to the issues raised by developments the other day... but I didn't... and this isn't that...

Goodnight...

James Randi; respect to the man, totally deserving of an obit since he's one sceptic who put a large amount of his own money where his mouth is.

Congratulations on a superb ramble Alphonsin; we've missed such performances since Bruno Brimley went on the wagon.

Sun newspaper today reported more suicide attempts, can't post a link because it's a very small story and not - apparantly - on their site, which has already been updated with some 'Bomber in a Burka' stuff ahead of tomorrow's edition.

If he lives that long - debateable I'd say - he'd be a deffo DDP candidate next year.

John Hogan = Not famous enough. Instead why not include Charles Manson, a guy who has been in jail for around thirty five years, or the guy who shot Bobby Kennedy. Sir Ha Sir Sa or something like that, whatever his name is, who cares.

I have also come across a rewarding list of politicians. From a couple dusty cabinet members, to former senators. Sargent Shriver is a selection of mine this year, and so are many others that the list doesn't have. I consider Frankie Laine a miss, but I can't blame anyone because I didn't think this was his year either. Overall it has been a slow year period, and thrown off topic now i'll leave it for someone else who wants to talk about this unknown, unfamous, person.

Unknown and unfamous, yes, but since some of us hereabouts do deadpools where news coverage counts the man has a toehold on DL thread worthiness.

Opening paragraph of that Sun report in full:

Balcony Dad Held (little dig at how he killed his own kid here)

Death plunge dad John Hogan is to stay in jail for an extra six months before trial afer making five more suicide bids.

Unknown and unfamous, yes, but since some of us hereabouts do deadpools where news coverage counts the man has a toehold on DL thread worthiness.

Death plunge dad John Hogan is to stay in jail for an extra six months before trial afer making five more suicide bids.

You'd figure after at least six failed attempts he might as well stop trying and embrace life.

Guest Guest

You'd figure after at least six failed attempts he might as well stop trying and embrace life.

He was embracing life the second he hit the ground!

I'll get me coat.