The anti-smoking campaigner Allen Carr, has been diagnosed with lung cancer

He says:

"This has come as a shock but I remain very upbeat.”

He might as well start smoking again.

He says:

I'd contend that, strictly speaking, a death can never be ironic and that only certain statements can be ironic.

But that sort of pedantry aside...:

There's a certain irony to the fact that Allen Carr, the how-to-stop smoking guru, was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in July [yes, he used to be a gazillion-a-day smoker and you could argue that, far from ironic, his death is "fitting"]. He was given nine months and should be a definite choice for 2007, I'd say. He will get a UK obituary.

As you can see Allen's predicament has been noted, he will indeed be a good choice for '07, but probably not for DL, a definite for the DDP though.

As you can see Allen's predicament has been noted, he will indeed be a good choice for '07, but probably not for DL, a definite for the DDP though.

OK, I should probably read up on the difference between DL and DDP. I thought that basically DL requires a UK obit and that DDP doesn't -- just that for the latter you need to argue your own case for the person's worthiness.

Allen Carr is going to get a UK obit. So, given that, is there some other reason he "probably isn't a good choice for DL"?

OK, I should probably read up on the difference between DL and DDP. I thought that basically DL requires a UK obit and that DDP doesn't -- just that for the latter you need to argue your own case for the person's worthiness.

Allen Carr is going to get a UK obit. So, given that, is there some other reason he "probably isn't a good choice for DL"?

Whether Carr is considered suitable/well known enough for DL, is up to the DL committee.

You do need to have an obit in a UK newspaper or on the BBC for a DDP hit to count.

Guest Guest
Whether Carr is considered suitable/well known enough for DL, is up to the DL committee.

You do need to have an obit in a UK newspaper or on the BBC for a DDP hit to count.

I see. I ought to read more of the background info about DL and DPP before posting. Thanks for clarifying that.

I'd advocate Mr. Carr for the '07 list. As a professional smoker with an unread copy of one of his books given to me by a well-meaning relative, I'd welcome the debates his inclusion would bring. Smug git.

I'd advocate Mr. Carr for the '07 list. As a professional smoker with an unread copy of one of his books given to me by a well-meaning relative, I'd welcome the debates his inclusion would bring. Smug git.
Whatever you do don't read it then AtJ! I actually finished it, and despite thinking I could see how he was attempting to pitch his message (repeated use of the same phrases through the book, lots of recognised sales techniques etc.) I still went over 3 weeks before I managed to start smoking again, and even so it took me a couple of months to get back to my former levels!

To put this into perspective, I've been a 20-30 a day smoker for over 15 years and had never even tried to give up before, and two weeks into giving up I would have put money on never smoking again, I just didn't feel like it, and even managed to go out & get drunk without any cravings. Unfortunately three weeks was as long as I could go without smoking a bit of the good stuff..... :)

The book is now on the floor next to my bed in case I ever want to read it again. If it was back on the bookshelf that would be admitting complete defeat, hence the pathetic reason for leaving the book within my sight.

I think he's famous enough to go on the list too, certainly lots of people I know have heard of him, and I'd have thought most UK smokers and ex-smokers will have, which is quite a large number of people.

The book is now on the floor next to my bed in case I ever want to read it again. ... I think he's famous enough to go on the list too,

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I can't be bothered really and it's pretty pointless but, for what it's worth, I have a good friend who read Carr's book, sceptically at first, and stopped smoking completely after reading the last chapter 3 times. My friend is, however, easily-led, relatively poorly educated and open to almost any suggestive narrative, just like people for whom stage hypnosis works. If you're of that mindset, Carr's book will go a long way to helping you stop. If, like AtJ, you're an independent-minded type of person who isn't open to suggestion, or you just enjoy smoking, don't bother picking up the book.

As for whether he's DL-fodder... of course he is. The world's most famous smoking cessation guru will get obits in every major paper on every continent, given that his book has been translated into 20-odd languages and sold 6 over million copies since it's publication in 1985.

As for whether he's DL-fodder... of course he is. The world's most famous smoking cessation guru will get obits in every major paper on every continent, given that his book has been translated into 20-odd languages and sold 6 over million copies since it's publication in 1985.

As a non-smoker I'd never heard of him, when I first heard the name Allen Carr I thought it was this camp fellow,

alan-carr-2005-may.jpg

I don't even know why I'm posting this, I can't be bothered really and it's pretty pointless but, for what it's worth, I have a good friend who read Carr's book, sceptically at first, and stopped smoking completely after reading the last chapter 3 times. My friend is, however, easily-led, relatively poorly educated and open to almost any suggestive narrative, just like people for whom stage hypnosis works. If you're of that mindset, Carr's book will go a long way to helping you stop. If, like AtJ, you're an independent-minded type of person who isn't open to suggestion, or you just enjoy smoking, don't bother picking up the book.

I'm so glad you did. I have long suspected that I was easily led, poorly educated and open to suggestion, now I have confirmation :) .

I particularly enjoyed the first part of your post, were you trying to sound like Sir Rodney Ffing, by any chance?

As it seems likely that Allen Carr will be dead inside 9 months, by his own admission, then he really should have his own thread.

From what other DeathList members have said he certainly seems notable enough for inclusion on the '07 list, providing he makes it to then of course.

No doubt if he does he'll also be a favourite pick in the DDP, every deadpooler loves a terminal lung cancer pick.

I think he's famous enough. I own several copies of the Stop Smoking book, the C.D ROM, the "Easy Way to Control Alcohol" book . . .

Whether he's successful enough is not my place to say :)

Carr has published more than one book on how to stop smoking. Given that one of them is called The *Only* Way To Stop Smoking [emphasis mine], what does this say about the man's credibility... ? :)

As it seems likely that Allen Carr will be dead inside 9 months, by his own admission, then he really should have his own thread.

From what other DeathList members have said he certainly seems notable enough for inclusion on the '07 list, providing he makes it to then of course.

No doubt if he does he'll also be a favourite pick in the DDP, every deadpooler loves a terminal lung cancer pick.

Not only that, but says in the article that if the pain is too much he might go to Holland & enthunaisa. If that counts as a suicide point, and he's under 80, then that's what.. 10 points. Seems reasonable to me.

In goes Allen Carr

Out goes.. hmm.. maybe Davidson/Ford or Ian Smith.

I think he's famous enough. I own several copies of the Stop Smoking book, the C.D ROM, the "Easy Way to Control Alcohol" book . . .

Whether he's successful enough is not my place to say :)

Question is... did the books work in helping you give up smoking? or was it a case of having bought the books, you'd spent the money you usually would have bought the cigarettes with?

The first copy I ever owned had a lovely easily-tearable but firm cover. Saved me whole pennies!

No comment.

The first copy I ever owned had a lovely easily-tearable but firm cover. Saved me whole pennies!

No comment.

Reminds me of one of my bibles, printed on rice paper. It's missing a few pages from Numbers and Acts, as it works well as rolling paper in a pinch.

regards,

Hein

Guest Bernard
Carr has published more than one book on how to stop smoking. Given that one of them is called The *Only* Way To Stop Smoking [emphasis mine], what does this say about the man's credibility... ? <_<

His books are called the Easyway not Only way. they work.

He has said that until he gave up, 23 years ago he was smoking 100 a day, and has since spent much time with other people smoking as they did his course.

He is now 75 and accepts his fate gracefully, His credibility intact.

And smoking is stopping him, in the time honoured way.

He's on the DDP 07 list as far as I'm concerned... <_<

Y'know... I'm convinced that I did actually post in this thread some months ago, but it seems my post has disappeared. DL's like the Pinochet regime sometimes; maybe I dissented from the editorial line. <_<

Y'know... I'm convinced that I did actually post in this thread some months ago, but it seems my post has disappeared. DL's like the Pinochet regime sometimes; maybe I dissented from the editorial line. <_<

Do you mean this post? If so: different thread.

regards,

Hein

Do you mean this post? If so: different thread.

regards,

Hein

Perhaps all the Allen Carr posts in that thread could be added to this one.

[Done - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Guest sunsett70

He says:

Devon, or whatever F**k your name is, i hope you die and burn in hell for eternity, you son of a bitch. Allen carr was a good man who helped a lot of people. You asshole, why would someone want to smoke again just because he has lung cancer? At least when allen dies, he would die a free man, not as some cigarrete company addict.

Allen Carr's former 5 pack a day habit will get the best of him. When he croaks next year Deathlist 2007 should be smokin.