Guest Guest

Steve Irwin

I see he's had a passing mention here before.

Steve Irwin would be one to keep an eye on

......../snip/........

What was it the big bearded pointy-hatted fellow said?

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.'

We certainly didn't see that particular end coming, but I daresay we'll be getting to watch it on telly soon.

One of the best "ironic" deaths for a long time.

After successfully grappling with most of the world's dangerous animals for many years, he becomes only the third person ever killed by a stingray in Australia.

Strange but somehow fitting.

He was filming a TV series at the time.

His last words were reportedly "Anything can happen in the next half-hour!"

:rolleyes:

I hear Australia Zoo has a vacancy. I don't think it's in pets corner somehow.

Any takers!!!

Congratulations must go to The Merry Harvester on the DDP, the only one to have Irwin among his picks. I was chased by a stingray a few weeks' back. Not a fish to F**k with. This must make Irwin a prime candidate for a Darwin award.

His last words were reportedly "Anything can happen in the next half-hour!"

Sentence of slang and to put a long story short he's talking about possibility. He has met the odds.

Dasyatids generally do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves, except when cornered by Steve Irwin. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away.

From the Wikipedia right now, I'm guessing these words will soon be stung in the heart by an editor.

Dasyatids generally do not attack aggressively, or even actively defend themselves, except when cornered by Steve Irwin. When threatened their primary reaction is to swim away.

From the Wikipedia right now, I'm guessing these words will soon be stung in the heart by an editor.

Should also be edited on the ground that it's bollocks. They are very territorial. I went a bit near to a big one when I was walking in the mud near a patch of mangrove and it came for me. It's no joke running in mud from a fish that can glide after you. My little heart was panting. The bloke I was with had been stung by one and he said it hurt like buggery (not that I think he knew about the pain of buggery).

Thanks for that Godot, 'hurt like buggery' is a common phrase all over Northern England. For years I lived in fear as a result of taking it literally. You've no idea how it feels to think you're the only straight in the village.

I bow to yer knowledge shown in the post above. Assuming the flat faced little buggers are so territorial I guess the 'Oceans Deadliest' could make the point that Aussie waters are safer all round without Steve Irwin winding up the predators!

The good news is that they were filming. The show will be pure dynamite when it's aired. Mind you I think I'd have preferred to see him go one down to a crocodile.

The good news is that they were filming. The show will be pure dynamite when it's aired. Mind you I think I'd have preferred to see him go one down to a crocodile.

Dynomite is a phrase I often use, and what a show it would be. Talk about ratings going off the charts. Although since he actually died the chance of it being aired is probably slim. I remember about 6 or 7 years back I was very into the WWF, a wrestling federation that is still widely popular today. I ordered almost every single pay per view, besides 'Over The Edge' which took place in mid May. Owen Heart a fairly famous wrestler died on live telivison while screwing up a stunt that had him flying from the upper seats into the ring, he hit his head on the turnbuckle and died moments after. The match was cut from the pay per view and camera's were fiming the audience. It was a sad day, but proving a point you probably won't get to see the last acts of Steve Irwin who actually would have made a fine random canidate.

Although since he actually died the chance of it being aired is probably slim.

I think that Godot's idea of blacking out dead munchkins and others (link here) could happily be extended to having Irwin blacked out in Ocean's Deadliest and replaced by some super-imposed celebrity. Actually, you could then have several editions of Ocean's Deadliest, and customers would buy the one with their favourite celebrity apparently swimming with sharks and all that.

Personally I'd go for Barry Scott of Cillit Bang advertising fame.

Who would you choose?

Hmm, time for my tablets I think...

Wow. This really came out of left field didn't it.

I heard a bunch of people talking about it on the radio this morning, and one of the presenters had a slight air of 'I told you so' in the way he talked.

I guess it happens if you constantly put yourself in dangers way.

RIP Steve.

Behind all the "croc hunter" bullsh*t, I believe, lay a committed conservationist and animal rights campaigner, who brought the beauty of nature's diversity and power to an audience who may never have bothered watching anything animal-related, if it weren't for his "WOW! Look at the teeth on THAT beauty! She could rip your arm off without any trouble at all!" style.

On hearing the news of Mr. Irwin's death this morning, I was genuinely saddened. One of a rare breed indeed, his life and work cut tragically short. I couldn't, however, help raising a smile as the simple truth of that old adage sprang back to my mind; "You play with matches, you get your fingers burnt."

Star Crossed, there's more poetry and insight in your two paragraphs than all the rapidly assembled drivel I heard on radio today. I got the distinct impression that - despite his dangerous lifestyle - this liddle fella caught the pre-prepared obitsters totally unprepared.

Mebbe you should get into that game yourself. You could also tip us the wink when you were told to ready one for publication.

Irwin suntan lotion:

Protects against ultra violet but not harmful rays.

Surely the only song appropriate for the funeral is this

Aye OSP but that'll never do on its own, maybe if they file in to: 'This Ole Heart of Mine.'

Aye OSP but that'll never do on its own, maybe if they file in to: 'This Ole Heart of Mine.'

I liked Slow To Fade by Red Guitars way back. It has a song called "Crocodile Tears" on it, as well as "Sting in the Tale" (sic). A bargain for the funeral director, methinks... :rolleyes:

Surely the only song appropriate for the funeral is this

'Somethings gotten hold of my heart

Keeping my soul and my senses apart

Somethings gotten into my life

Cutting its way through my dreams like a knife'

I fancy that'll be a stingray!

Wave Of Mutilation - The Pixies

Well I may be in a Minority here..but I gotta say, personally I liked the guy and loved his tv shows..OK I admit he was a wee bit eccentric at times AKA the thing with the baby....but he was still a good guy.

He would have been a good laugh round the dinner table or on a night out.

Personally I'll miss him & his patter

Croc on Stevo

regards

scsi