Guest Guest

Steve Irwin

This must make Irwin a prime candidate for a Darwin award.

If I'm not mistaken though, the Darwin Awards imply that you don't have any progeny (thus removing your genes from the pool so that your stupidity doesn't survive the adaptation process or something that I lost track of while writing this run-on sentence).

As for Steve Irwin, I can't say that I was a gigantic fan, but I can respect the fact that he was a committed (if annoying) conservationalist.

As my Grandpa (and I think someone else on this thread) said though, "Live by the sword, die by the sword."

If I'm not mistaken though, the Darwin Awards imply that you don't have any progeny (thus removing your genes from the pool so that your stupidity doesn't survive the adaptation process or something that I lost track of while writing this run-on sentence).

I made a similar remark in the Interesting ways topic. I had a look and I was wrong.

regards,

Hein

I made a similar remark in the Interesting ways topic. I had a look and I was wrong.

regards,

Hein

Thankyou MH. I had chosen not to dignify CP's attempt at pedantry with a response since he qualified his remark with "if I'm not mistaken", always a sign of one who can't be bothered to check. A quick Google would have avoided the whole sorry intervention.

regards,

Hein

Thankyou MH. I had chosen not to dignify CP's attempt at pedantry with a response since he qualified his remark with "if I'm not mistaken", always a sign of one who can't be bothered to check. A quick Google would have avoided the whole sorry intervention.

Or perhaps because I'd rather have happen, as turned out to be the case, that someone who already knew the answer would post it for the benefit of all. If I were to look it up on google and post it here without an instigation, no doubt I would get accusations from Star Crossed about post whoring and posting irrelevant information, so it was very much damned if you do damned if you don't.

My intention was not to insult nor be pedantic although. If you took it as an attack Godot, that's not my fault. I'll thank you not to insult me and shall expect an apology.

Or perhaps because I'd rather have happen, as turned out to be the case, that someone who already knew the answer would post it for the benefit of all. If I were to look it up on google and post it here without an instigation, no doubt I would get accusations from Star Crossed about post whoring and posting irrelevant information, so it was very much damned if you do damned if you don't.

Nah CP, a mark or two for effort but ultimately not very convincing. Why not admit that you chipped in without thinking or checking or even working out where your sentence started. I didn't feel insulted and wouldn't care anyway. Your sensitivity meter is off the clock again, not for the first time. No need to be scared of other Deathlisters. Old Star Crossed is a kitten (or three). Your intention was not to be pedantic? That's disingenuous. There was pedantry all over that post and it backfired. Pure cant.

Nah CP, a mark or two for effort but ultimately not very convincing. Why not admit that you chipped in without thinking or checking or even working out where your sentence started. I didn't feel insulted and wouldn't care anyway. Your sensitivity meter is off the clock again, not for the first time. No need to be scared of other Deathlisters. Old Star Crossed is a kitten (or three). Your intention was not to be pedantic? That's disingenuous. There was pedantry all over that post and it backfired. Pure cant.

If I was trying to be pedantic, I'dve used some of the big GRE words I've been studying and I'd not have qualified by statement with "If I'm not mistaken," I'dve asserted myself more strongly and, in order to do that, would have gone and done the research first.

I apologize if it came off pedantic, but it's pointless to discuss further. One's intentions are nearly always invisible, especially over the internet. I learned this summer that I'm a nerd first, a drunk second and a pedant third, so I can't be overly surprised if the occassional (or perhaps frequent) comment comes off as pedantic, but I try and restrain myself to the first two on DL if at all possible. <_<

If I was trying to be pedantic, I'dve used some of the big GRE words I've been studying and I'd not have qualified by statement with "If I'm not mistaken," I'dve asserted myself more strongly and, in order to do that, would have gone and done the research first.

I apologize if it came off pedantic, but it's pointless to discuss further. One's intentions are nearly always invisible, especially over the internet. I learned this summer that I'm a nerd first, a drunk second and a pedant third, so I can't be overly surprised if the occassional (or perhaps frequent) comment comes off as pedantic, but I try and restrain myself to the first two on DL if at all possible. <_<

Ah CP you're too nice. Just when I thought this had possibilities. That's a real argument stopper not unlike my own favourite: you could be right. Always works.

That's the most rediculous thing I've heard in a while.

His fans probably don't realise that what they have done goes against everything he stood for.

You'd expect this from Americans, not Australians...

Found some rather amusing tributes to Steve Irwin.

Tribute 1

Pretty sick, but kinda funny.

Tribute 1

Funny because it's sick :o

Tribute 1

Funny because it's sick :o

There is also a comical value in the crudeness of it all. :D

Tribute 1

, despite it's unpromising start.

That's the most rediculous thing I've heard in a while.

His fans probably don't realise that what they have done goes against everything he stood for.

You'd expect this from Americans, not Australians...

Nah, Americans wouldn't stop with cutting the tails off. We'd call the media, pile the stingrays up, take all our clothes off, cover ourselves with paint and - right when the cameras showed up - douse the stingrays on fire and dance around the pyre self-flaggelating with the tails we'd cut off. Then PETA would raid the demonstration and start beating the crap out of the original demonstrators. The National Guard would be called out and the city would be burned to the ground. The President would appear on TV appealing for calm and threatening to mobilize the army - except that he already would have done it without telling anyone. Tanks would roll into the streets and crush all the Democrats, Independents, atheists and PETA representatives in the crowd, miraculously sparing the Christian Republicans. Bill O'Reilly would have a special two hour presentation on "What Went Wrong!" and parents would be sobbing about how they "just don't know what made their baby go off" like that - must be anti-depressants! After a week it would be forgotten and America would refocus on its sports cars, overpaid athletes and proliferation of McDonald's.

Alternatively, we would consider ourselves above it all and not care.

Tribute 1

, despite it's unpromising start.

Probably the worst Australian accent in history....

According to Irwin's wife, film of his death will never be shown.

Killjoy.

Killjoy.

Is she right about running with a pencil? Has anybody ever died because they were running with a pencil? I can't think of a less spectacular death although I do know someone who died in a bowl of soup (actually a heart attack before his head slumped in said bowl of soup).

Killjoy.

Is she right about running with a pencil? Has anybody ever died because they were running with a pencil? I can't think of a less spectacular death although I do know someone who died in a bowl of soup (actually a heart attack before his head slumped in said bowl of soup).

My great uncle lost an eye when he was trying to un-knot a shoelace with a fork & it slipped.

Russell Crowe is busy denying that he'll play Irwin in a biopic. Dunno, could see that working pretty well.

Fantastic!

My Great Grandfather would win arguments in pubs by removing his glass eye and claiming he lost his real eye fighting in the trenches. Ironically he actually lost it in a pub argument that turned nasty.

My great uncle lost an eye when he was trying to un-knot a shoelace with a fork & it slipped.

Killjoy.

Crafty cow is already pushing the price up.

Fantastic!

My Great Grandfather would win arguments in pubs by removing his glass eye and claiming he lost his real eye fighting in the trenches. Ironically he actually lost it in a pub argument that turned nasty.

Well since everyone else is at it...

My great grandfather lost three fingers in an accident involving his bike and a bus.