Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Paul

The Canadian Paul Deadpool

Site updated to reflect the death of James Brown.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Oh dear! What is Windsor going to make of this news about James Brown death affecting my position on the Hall of Scores?

By the way CP, are you sure its not more points for James Brown since I was under the impression he was also in South Park as well as the Simpsons?

Oh dear! What is Windsor going to make of this news about James Brown death affecting my position on the Hall of Scores?

By the way CP, are you sure its not more points for James Brown since I was under the impression he was also in South Park as well as the Simpsons?

According to his IMDB profile, his song was used in an episode of South Park, but he did not provide - as CPDP rules require - a "guest voice." His performance is characterized as a "Soundtrack" for South Park, not as part of his filmography (as with The Simpsons)

I wouldn't have known about it had you not boasted about it you complete and utter ass.

Well I hope you are happy - you have ruined my Christmas cheer*.

*There was a massive argument at work today over a birthday cake. One girl ended up crying, another woman ended up feeling guilty and I managed to make my arch nemesis look like the villan! Fat cow.

It's quite sad that this is the highlight of christmas 2006...

Site updated to reflect the death of Gerald Ford, but a special congrats to Tempus Fugit, who is now in the Top 10 in the RDP!

Meanwhile, I'm off to sulk after losing first place in the WDP, a shot at the top 100 in the RDP for a long while and getting relegated to God only know on the DDP. :)

This what I get for gloating about Barbera. :(:P

At last my first ever deadpool hit!

Site updated to reflect the execution of Sadaam. It seems Barzan avoided the hangman's noose... for the moment anyhow.

Now that Magnus is dead, do I nominate another candidate?

I don't understand the rules.

I also forgot I put Ford on this pool...

Also, what is the Death Fame Test Multiplier? What does that do?

Now that Magnus is dead, do I nominate another candidate?

I don't understand the rules.

Nope, you just score points.

I also forgot I put Ford on this pool...

Well I gave you your points anyhow. :rip:

Also, what is the Death Fame Test Multiplier? What does that do?

When a candidate dies, you gain points, which are then multiplied by the figure in this box. If they get no obit, that number will 0 thus nil point. If they get BBC/CNN/Canadian it's 1 and you get full points. If they get an obit, but it's not one of those three, then it's *, which means you only get points if the person is on your theme team (ala. Michael Mayne, Henry Beachell).

In other words, it's just a place to note whether or not the candidate has passed the fame test.

Anyhow, BBC notice is more than sufficient, so the site has been updated.

Speaking of which CP I noticed that Henry Allingham is docked a point on the basis of famous for being famous. He's the last survivor of the founding members of the Air Corps - pre RAF - so rather like Sister Lucia or a few of them I'd have thought he doesn't deserve being penalised in this way. Can he help it if he's also Britain's oldest man?

Harry Patch on the other hand, fair enough.

Speaking of which CP I noticed that Henry Allingham is docked a point on the basis of famous for being famous. He's the last survivor of the founding members of the Air Corps - pre RAF - so rather like Sister Lucia or a few of them I'd have thought he doesn't deserve being penalised in this way. Can he help it if he's also Britain's oldest man?

Harry Patch on the other hand, fair enough.

Last surviving anything is famous for being famous. If Sister Lucia had died 70 years before she did, she still would have been famous. The same cannot be said for Allingham.

Site updated to reflect the death of Yvonne De Carlo. She was a Canadian, so bonus points will be given if Boys and Girls Come Out to Play or Madame Defarge Death Barge have another Canadian hit.

Forgot to mention, site updated for the death of al-Tikriti.

MPFC's discussion of an animal theme team got me thinking. Since animals are allowed on the CPDP, the age limits wouldn't quite correlate. Many cats, dogs, horses etc. can live full lives before the age of 15. An 85-year old tortoise, on the other hand, is practically a spring chicken. Thinking ahead, I'm not sure if the best solution would be to ignore the age penalties for animals, or to re-calibrate them in the case of animals. For cats and dogs, there are online calculators, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd imagine a creature like a chimp or a tortoise would pose more of a subjective problem.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ignore the age penalties I'd say. I mean, the world isn't exactly a wash with famous animals to start with and when you get down to famous tortoises you're scraping the barrel worse than picking WW1 vets. Any famous animal team would probably include a few bankers - like an aged presidential cat - but the less likely picks would be longer shots than - say - Tammy Faye Messner. As it is, the fairly strict rules on news sources on your deadpool mean the more trivial animal deaths will be less likely to count than those of many people.

I'm guessing the amazing love affair between the Canadian parliament and its resident cats would be good for some points but whether a successful horse less famous than - say - Desert Orchid gets any kind of notable obit over here, let alone the BBC, is questionable.

An interesting bonus - to add a competitive edge to animal teams - would be Maryportfuncity's taxidermy bonus. It could apply to ALL picks, though obviously the animals would be more likely than the humans to score.

Ignore the age penalties I'd say. I mean, the world isn't exactly a wash with famous animals to start with and when you get down to famous tortoises you're scraping the barrel worse than picking WW1 vets. Any famous animal team would probably include a few bankers - like an aged presidential cat - but the less likely picks would be longer shots than - say - Tammy Faye Messner. As it is, the fairly strict rules on news sources on your deadpool mean the more trivial animal deaths will be less likely to count than those of many people.

I'm guessing the amazing love affair between the Canadian parliament and its resident cats would be good for some points but whether a successful horse less famous than - say - Desert Orchid gets any kind of notable obit over here, let alone the BBC, is questionable.

An interesting bonus - to add a competitive edge to animal teams - would be Maryportfuncity's taxidermy bonus. It could apply to ALL picks, though obviously the animals would be more likely than the humans to score.

Mrs Turpin, Pitcairn Island's only tortoise and one of the world's most isolated reptiles will certainly get a mention in the press if she dies (which is unlikely in the next 50 years or so)

:) There are human examples, so why not.

regards,

Hein

I think it's likely that I'll just ignore the age limit, particularly for the reason that there's not a whole lot of animals that are reasonable picks. Also, as you mentioned, the obit requirements are tough for a normal team, so you may be restricted to picks like Koko the Gorilla et al. For the Theme Team, they need only be mentioned in an online news source, and since there are plenty of racing journals and whatnot, I'm sure a Theme Team could be well pulled off.

I like the idea of a "preserved after death" bonus - taxidermied animals, people who are mummified, cryogenically frozen, even stuffed like that one fellow who wanted to attend university board meetings after his death - could all be worth an extra point.

Anyhow, site updated to reflect the death of Art Buchwald.

I think it's likely that I'll just ignore the age limit, particularly for the reason that there's not a whole lot of animals that are reasonable picks. Also, as you mentioned, the obit requirements are tough for a normal team, so you may be restricted to picks like Koko the Gorilla et al. For the Theme Team, they need only be mentioned in an online news source, and since there are plenty of racing journals and whatnot, I'm sure a Theme Team could be well pulled off.

I like the idea of a "preserved after death" bonus - taxidermied animals, people who are mummified, cryogenically frozen, even stuffed like that one fellow who wanted to attend university board meetings after his death - could all be worth an extra point.

Sorry to be difficult CP, but Art wasn't a unique pick for Handrejka..... Don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I picked him as well.

Sorry to be difficult CP, but Art wasn't a unique pick for Handrejka..... Don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I picked him as well.

Whoops. How'd I miss that? I'll get right on it.

EDIT: Sorted now.

And now, site update for Julie Winnefred Bertrand (and I actually checked to make sure it was only the three who picked her...)

Ace customs dog retires. Six years old, middle aged in dog terms but given the tonnage of class A drugs she's sniffed out in her working life the cold turkey could kill her. Next CPDPs animal theme team beckons.

Emiliano Mercado Del Toro - worlds oldest living person - has made way for young Emma Tillman. I'm considering re-naming the theme team; 'Old and Getting Out of the Way.'

The ever-reliable Wiki page is already updated.

Emiliano Mercado Del Toro - worlds oldest living person - has made way for young Emma Tillman. I'm considering re-naming the theme team; 'Old and Getting Out of the Way.'

The ever-reliable Wiki page is already updated.

Finally, I've updated the site for del Toro's death. No change in the scoreboard though.

Eh? There is, my oldsters have stumbled into third place, overtaking DDT's altogether more daring selections.