Sign in to follow this  
Canadian Paul

The Canadian Paul Deadpool

I'd also like to point out that the reason that I made the obituary requirements for the ordinary team so harsh was specifically to minimize the amount of dying nobodies *coughLaurelHestercough* picked.

Methinks, MPFC, that you're also going to have a bit of trouble scraping by an obit for John Bowman who, by the way, still hasn't met the "wikipedia page or 3 friends" criteria.

Methinks, MPFC, that you're also going to have a bit of trouble scraping by an obit for John Bowman who, by the way, still hasn't met the "wikipedia page or 3 friends" criteria.

and almost surely, Lindsay Hughes, likewise. Fine for the DDP, but not for the CPDP.

Rather than kick a man when he is down, I thought I would offer a few crumbs of comfort to MPFC.

I think Mayne's best chance of an obit is on the previously mentioned "Last Word" show on Radio 4, which is broadcast tomorrow at 4 o'clock. Conveniently for MPFC, editions are availible to listen to the Radio 4 website, here. So if his death is mentioned on the programme, that should be enough to get him the points, I don't see anything in CP's rules that states the BBC online obit must be written. :birthday:

I think Mayne's best chance of an obit is on the previously mentioned "Last Word" show on Radio 4, which is broadcast tomorrow at 4 o'clock. Conveniently for MPFC, editions are availible to listen to the Radio 4 website, here. So if his death is mentioned on the programme, that should be enough to get him the points, I don't see anything in CP's rules that states the BBC online obit must be written. :birthday:

True. If they put a clip on the site and I'm able to verify it (ie. if it's not live, if I can actually replay it as much as I want), that will count just fine. My aim is not to be a jerk and deny points, just to dissuade people from picking the Laurel Hesters of the world.

Good luck with Hughes and Bowman though. :birthday:

True. If they put a clip on the site and I'm able to verify it (ie. if it's not live, if I can actually replay it as much as I want), that will count just fine. My aim is not to be a jerk and deny points, just to dissuade people from picking the Laurel Hesters of the world.

Good luck with Hughes and Bowman though. :birthday:

Indeed CP, I was guessing the more marginal picks on my list would be fit for the Radio Four show and/or one-liner news on the beeb. I take yer point about not pickin' nobodies but I was trying to field a team somewhat in the spirit of your unique pick rule. Re Bowman the black panther, I'm guessing he got through on the basis you have three friends who've heard of him. The pick is based on the fact he's gonna cark it on your deadpool time and he's not that old hence decent points. My gamble there is that a Canadian online source - which gives a pretty wide scope - might pick him up. Roll on this aft on Radio Four.

I think Mayne's best chance of an obit is on the previously mentioned "Last Word" show on Radio 4, which is broadcast tomorrow at 4 o'clock. Conveniently for MPFC, editions are availible to listen to the Radio 4 website, here. So if his death is mentioned on the programme, that should be enough to get him the points, I don't see anything in CP's rules that states the BBC online obit must be written. :pop:

Good luck with Hughes and Bowman though. :)

Indeed CP, I was guessing the more marginal picks on my list would be fit for the Radio Four show and/or one-liner news on the beeb. I take yer point about not pickin' nobodies but I was trying to field a team somewhat in the spirit of your unique pick rule. Re Bowman the black panther, I'm guessing he got through on the basis you have three friends who've heard of him. The pick is based on the fact he's gonna cark it on your deadpool time and he's not that old hence decent points. My gamble there is that a Canadian online source - which gives a pretty wide scope - might pick him up. Roll on this aft on Radio Four.

Any joy MPFC?

Aye loads, didn't hear the programme mind, too busy working. They haven't updated the web page yet.

They've updated it now and he ain't there, but then there's no death more recent than October 21st on the show. Mebbeze next week me thinks since Jeff Getty, amongst others made the show this week, less a contender than the Mayne man methinks. Just hopin' there's no mass deaths amongst the famous in the next six days.

Last Word page on BBC site.

If Julian Worricker visits this place and has any sense of fun and justice he will leave Mayne out in the cold and MPFC clutching at his tendril-thin straws. Talk about flogging a dead horse. It's about time the nonentity backers were given a slice of humble pie.

They've updated it now and he ain't there, but then there's no death more recent than October 21st on the show. Just hopin' there's no mass deaths amongst the famous in the next six days.

Well, the ex-Pakistani President has gone today, so that's one slot filled for next week at least and there's still 6 days to go. Still, we must allow MPFC some hope, for without hope, what are we? :pop:

They've updated it now and he ain't there, but then there's no death more recent than October 21st on the show. Just hopin' there's no mass deaths amongst the famous in the next six days.

Well, the ex-Pakistani President has gone today, so that's one slot filled for next week at least and there's still 6 days to go. Still, we must allow MPFC some hope, for without hope, what are we? :pop:

Realists?

I think the bulk of my DDP selection will be classified as non-entities, but they will all get UK obits, you just got to select your team to fit the relevant deadpool rules.

PW Botha is dead, points to me & Tempus. :crossbone:

Tempus running away with it at the moment.

Also with this, Franklyn, Berbick, Auerbach, Ishaq Khan & Kneale dying, I think it's safe to say Michael Mayne's hopes of an obit are very, very, very slim indeed. Slimmer than an Olsen twin, in fact.

PW Botha is dead, points to me & Tempus. :D

Also with this, Franklyn, Berbick, Auerbach, Ishaq Khan & Kneale dying, I think it's safe to say Michael Mayne's hopes of an obit are very, very, very slim indeed. Slimmer than an Olsen twin, in fact.

I don't believe it. :crossbone: He has also a DDP and was going to be top of my HDP list too.

We'll see Octi, they often top and tail the contents from Sunday to Sunday although the show goes out five days later.

Actually, just points for you, which actually puts you on top of the Theme Team race with 5 points OoO. (He was on TF's old Theme Team, I forgot to remove him from the page). No indication that the means of his death fit into bonus or penalty land at the moment though.

I've also noticed that there's no way to resolve a tie in score in my rules. I'll have to think of a way to revise those soon too.

EDIT: Turns out he died of a heart attack, which means he was actually worth 6 points for you OoO.

In keeping with your theme how about resolving a tie with the ruling that in the event of a tie every Canadian in a tied team automatically accrues one extra point?

In keeping with your theme how about resolving a tie with the ruling that in the event of a tie every Canadian in a tied team automatically accrues one extra point?

That's actually not such a bad idea - at least maybe the first way to resolve a tie could be how many Canadians you have on your team. Most people only have one though, so there'd definetely need to be backup strategies, but I like that as a starting point.

Boy, you'd be kicking yourself for dropping Lara Roxx in favour of Mayne though MPFC. B)

Site updated as of yesterday of course too.

Roxx will be alive at the end of your DP, I think. I mean call me old fashioned but who's the greater player in life, a guy who was involved at the policy making end of anglicanism or someone who caught a fatal disease from having a party in her rear end?

Re the tiebreak: You could go on the number of Canadians as a tie break, if people were still tied you could give preference to Canadian women, if they were still tied you could give preference to the tied person with the youngest average age of a team. I think no two teams have the same average age if you split the ages down to one decimal point.

Sorted!

No Michael Mayne on The Last Word this week either

and no BBC coverage of the funeral.

Looks like MPFC's gamble failed:- Nuil Points? :lol:

He might still get a mention if he achieves a posthumous award for "The Enduring Melody", which was very good.

Nil desperandum, MPFC!

Well today is the funeral for Michael Mayne. I'd guess that if the Beeb doesn't cover it today, most likely all hope for an obit will be lost.

Also, I'll be away until Sunday night, which will be Monday morning for all you in the UK, so if someone on the CPDP dies while I'm out, don't expect an update until then.

Turkish ex-PM Bulent Ecevit dies.

Congratulations to the teams who selected him.

BBC obit

Turkish ex-PM Bulent Ecevit dies.

Congratulations to the teams who selected him.

BBC obit

Haha, this weekend taught me that sometimes modesty can be ignored. Well done FF! Obit came with ease of course, so I'll update later tonight, my time.

I knew someone would die while I was out. Thought it'd be John Archibald Wheeler to be honest though.

I'm going to be counting this as death from a stroke by the way, which means infarction bonus is applicable.

Site updated to reflect Ferenc Puskas' death.

Because college students never sleep. :rolleyes:

Oh, I think you forgot my points. :party:

Oh, I think you forgot my points. :party:

F**k F**k F**k F**k F**k F**k F**k.

OK, I fixed it, but I'm not sending out another email until someone else dies.