Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Ferenc Puskas

Ferenc Puskás,born in 1927 the legendary Hungarian Footballer, is almost certain to die during 2006. His family have just put all his medals and memorobilia up for sale to pay for his continuing care for advanced Alzheimers.

He was injured and did not play a part in the infamous "Battle of Berne" during the 1954 World Cup. This did not stop the Brazilians stabbing him with a broken

bottle during the post match punch up. A superb all round player - better than Best in my opinion. The national stadium in Hungary is named after him.

Guest Obi

Ferenc Puskas(ex-Hungerian footballer) should probably be considered. 78 and very ill for many years now. There was a chairty game for his hospital care recently, though Real Madrid decided to keep all but £5'000 of the money rasied for themselves. He was too ill to attend the game anyway and has now sold hundreds of footballing mementos to raise money. Has alzheimers amogst other illnesses. Theres probably better links than this but can't find them at the minute.http://www.theglobalgame.com/gleanhgy.htm

Ferenc Puskas(ex-Hungerian footballer) should probably be considered. 78 and very ill for many years now. There was a chairty game for his hospital care recently, though Real Madrid decided to keep all but £5'000 of the money rasied for themselves. He was too ill to attend the game anyway and has now sold hundreds of footballing mementos to raise money. Has alzheimers amogst other illnesses. Theres probably better links than this but can't find them at the minute.http://www.theglobalgame.com/gleanhgy.htm

Here's the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferenc_Puskas

Might be a good talking point, don't know about candidacy/fame test

Puskas has already been mentioned earlier in this thread. A very safe bet for 2006 DL and an ideal replacement for George Best.

Puskas has already been mentioned earlier in this thread. A very safe bet for 2006 DL and an ideal replacement for George Best.

I didn't realise Puskas was stil alive. One of the finest European footballers, one of the stars of Hungary's 1950's side (the greatest team never to lift the world cup?). It's sad that he's apparently fading, but it's gotta happen sometime.

I didn't realise Puskas was stil alive. One of the finest European footballers, one of the stars of Hungary's 1950's side (the greatest team never to lift the world cup?). It's sad that he's apparently fading, but it's gotta happen sometime.

I think he's a wonderful candidate, but does he pass the fame test in the UK? I doubt he would here, but we're not as much into the sport as you gents are.

I think he's a wonderful candidate, but does he pass the fame test in the UK? I doubt he would here, but we're not as much into the sport as you gents are.

I think he should pass the fame test. He is quite well known in the UK as he scored

3 of the 6 goals Hungary put past England in 1954, the first time England were beaten on home soil.

Somewhat surprised, when searching to post the below news, that he's only mentioned in bits & bobs.

Anyway, Ferenc Puskas, 79, is one of the greatest living footballers, and has for some years suffered from Alzheimers. Before that, he was hugely fat (see picture below from 1997) and suffered from heart-trouble.

180px-N97_puskas.jpg

Now, he's in intensive care.

If - and it's a big if - he makes it through, I'd strongly advise DL to take out de Stefano and put in his old team-mate.

and, if he does survive 9 days plus - it's worth considering him for CP's new DP.

Somewhat surprised, when searching to post the below news, that he's only mentioned in bits & bobs.

Anyway, Ferenc Puskas, 79, is one of the greatest living footballers, and has for some years suffered from Alzheimers. Before that, he was hugely fat (see picture below from 1997) and suffered from heart-trouble.

180px-N97_puskas.jpg

If - and it's a big if - he makes it through, I'd strongly advise DL to take out de Stefano and put in his old team-mate.

and, if he does survive 9 days plus - it's worth considering him for CP's new DP.

Truly, Puskas was one of the greatest of all time. Other agencies are slowly picking up on the story. The Guardian, CNN

I remember that last year his family sold all his medals to pay for ongoing care. It has to be said that it looks bleak - don't bet on the nine days.

He's on my DDP Team. I could do with a fifth hit.

[Posts from I&P topic moved here -- MH]

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein

Does he past the fame test? Does he past the fame test? I can't believe you guys. It's like asking whether Neil Armstrong passes the fame test. Of course he wasn't on Big Brother so I suppose that raises doubts. Good grief, get a sense of perspective and start to appreciate that history didn't begin in 1985.

To be fair, it was Canadian Paul who suggested he may not be eligible, and he qualified that by stating that was a Canadian view. I think we're pretty much in accord that the greatest of the 'Golden Team' would walk the obits.

Does he past the fame test? Does he past the fame test? I can't believe you guys. It's like asking whether Neil Armstrong passes the fame test. Of course he wasn't on Big Brother so I suppose that raises doubts. Good grief, get a sense of perspective and start to appreciate that history didn't begin in 1985.

Of course he passes the fame test; The General, a central part of the Mighty Magyars of

the 1950s and the all-conquering Real Madrid team of the late 50s.

Television still show footage of Hungary's epochal performance against England in 1953.

I think it was Puskas who scored a wonderful goal that day (dragging the ball past a bewildered

England defender before blasting it into the net in the same movement).

Devon, this could be very good call...

Who's Neil Armstrong?

Who's Neil Armstrong?

Neil Armstrong

I think LD might have been being ironic, and stuff

180px-N97_puskas.jpg

I hope he doesn't die, well at least not this year. But if he does die this year. How did we miss DDT's suggestion to put him on the list when looking at the 50 that were chosen at least half should not be considered for a couple of years.

It will be a real shame when he does die. Such a great player with a true talent and didn't possess an over-inflated ego like so many football players today.

I took the precaution of listening to my own advice and placed him on my DDP.

BTW I wrote off my car this morning. Do you think I should tell the insurance company I was trying to roll a cigarette when I crashed in to a wall? :)

I took the precaution of listening to my own advice and placed him on my DDP.

BTW I wrote off my car this morning. Do you think I should tell the insurance company I was trying to roll a cigarette when I crashed in to a wall? :banghead:

I'd mention about hitting the wall, but omit about rolling a cigarette.

What were the road conditions like?

I crashed my car last December into a telegraph pole. Then again the road was icy and it made me feel better when the police officer that came to investigate nearly crashed into the same telegraph pole.

I think LD might have been being ironic, and stuff

Indeedy. :banghead:

I am an old bird (47) so I remember the first men on the moon and all that stuff.

Aye well, a car crash is impressive, as we discussed a few weeks back, I broke my arm crashing a pushbike. Wasn't rolling a cigarette at the time, mind.

If the doctors prepared the world for Puskas' death, do you think Canadian Paul would allow some last minute revisions to our lists?

Puskas would beg to differ, or summat. Could be good in the long run if he lasts till December and then starts to crumble leaving us with a Lou Rawles style fall guy for the top spot on the list.

Puskas would beg to differ, or summat. Could be good in the long run if he lasts till December and then starts to crumble leaving us with a Lou Rawles style fall guy for the top spot on the list.

As he's not on my DDP list I rather hope he makes it to the new year, although he is in my Deadlypool Poolofdeath team. :banghead:

Be funny, like, if his number of caps for deadpool teams exceeded his international footie caps. He's been courting some kind of collapse for a while since he's packing some serious pork and has been for a while but was still prone to rapid sprints and shimmies in charity games well into his late fifties.