Edited by Magere Hein

Noooooooooooooo :rolleyes:

If only you'd give me my Lev Yashin poster back

6 month ago I returned your brown anorak

but you keep forgetting

and its far too upsetting

so baby Ferenc Puskas to you, to you

Baby Ferenc Puskas to you

Can I just add that 'gone for a pearly bath' sounds a bit rude.

I agree, I don't like it?

I know I'm biased, as I came up with the subheading "Will he Maygar day?, which I'm quite proud of (I started the thread, but all the previous ones (like DDT's in the I & P) were added), actually (quite rare for me) but why not change it to "he Maygar day by dying" or something akin to that?

Can I just add that 'gone for a pearly bath' sounds a bit rude.

I agree, I don't like it?

I know I'm biased, as I came up with the subheading "Will he Maygar day?, which I'm quite proud of (I started the thread, but all the previous ones (like DDT's in the I & P) were added), actually (quite rare for me) but why not change it to "he Maygar day by dying" or something akin to that?

Problem being, that in Hungarian, Magyar is actually pronounced mod-yor. So it doesn't work at all really... <_<

I am shocked by the lack of erudition here really. After all you have had some considerable time to research this and work out that:

a ) Puskás translated into English means Cannon

b ) Ferenc is the Hungarian for Frank

c ) His nickname in English was the "Galloping Major" (He was a major in the Hungarian Army and was subsequently promoted to a full Colonel in 1992)

d ) His nickname in Spain was "Pancho"

e ) In Hungary he was simply called either; Öcsi Bácsi (our little brother) or Öcsi Puskás (our little Puskás).

So there is a lot of material to play with surely. "21 Gun Salute for the Galloping Major" or "The Cannon falls silent"?

Here is a twist too, word in Budapest is that his State Funeral will be held on November 25th, which will be the 53rd anniversary of "The Game of the Century" where the "Aranycsapat" ("The Golden team") smashed England 6-3 at Wembley in 1953 and people first took note of the name Puskás Ferenc (Hungarians put family name first and personal name second!).

Anyone who doubts how important Puskás was, or the influence he and his team mates had on the world game should consider this: One of the most enduring phrases used either seriously, jokingly, culturally or figuratively about football comes as a direct result of what Puskás and his aranycsapat did to England on the cold day in London 53 years ago... "4-4-2"

Goodbye Puskás Ferenc, for my money the world's greatest ever footballer and a kind and genreous man.

As Hungarians say

Nyugodjál békében (Serene and in Peace)

I am shocked by the lack of erudition here really. After all you have had some considerable time to research this and work out that:

To be fair, when I'm starting a new thread, I'm not going to spend hours working on a snappy subtitle. Some of us have to work and haven't got considerable time to have better erudition... Maygar day popped into my head & I went for it, and I am truly sorry it doesn't meet your high standards, but not being a mod, I can't change the title anyway <_<

Problem being, that in Hungarian, Magyar is actually pronounced mod-yor. So it doesn't work at all really... <_<

Much like the case of Steaua Bucharest. Contrary to what British commentators believe, "Steaua" is pronounced "stair-wa" not "shtoya". "Shtoya" in Romanian means "small penis", which made things awkward for one British journo when he told his Romanian in-laws that he was going to see "Shtoya" play.

Saw the obit on Puskas on Football Focus...

Gerald Sindstat didn't sound right, almost as if he's had a stroke.

One to keep an eye on?

As opposed to one for the police to keep an eye on, since that unfortunate misunderstanding in the Kings Cross Bongo Emporium.

Saw the obit on Puskas on Football Focus...

Gerald Sindstat didn't sound right, almost as if he's had a stroke.

One to keep an eye on?