Death in Pixie Boots

Phil Spector

Rot in hell you old bastard

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Oh wow, big!

He produced my favourite song "River Deep, Mountain High".

Oh, the moral dilemma...

He produced a lot of stuff I love, that whole wall of sound stuff, Beatles, Righteous Brothers, etc, etc,

I think we can admire the art, if not the artist.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, time said:

He produced a lot of stuff I love, that whole wall of sound stuff, Beatles, Righteous Brothers, etc, etc,

I think we can admire the art, if not the artist.

Aye, summat that occurs to me when I'm alone in the car and still slammin' to Gary Glitter!

• Like 1

Looks like he’s the first COVID casualty from the DDP 

17 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Aye, 17 years ago in the thread opener.

Lost that livin’ feeling etc

Da Doo Gone Gone Gone, then? :lol:

I adore all of his Wall of Sound productions, Ronettes, Righteous Brothers, etc... The man truly pushed pop beyond its prior boundaries. Add to that the domino effect of his work - no peak Beach Boys without Be My Baby, etc - he was undoubtedly one of the key forces behind my love of 60s music.

So as time said, loving Spector's work makes me a master at separating the art from the artist. It pleases me to see Ronnie Spector outlive him.

• Like 1

No question he was one of the great musical geniuses of the modern age.It's just a shame he tainted his reputation by murdering someone.. :mellow:

52 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

maybe the biggest death of 2021 so far ?

Biggest miss maybe? 

26 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

I adore all of his Wall of Sound productions, Ronettes, Righteous Brothers, etc... The man truly pushed pop beyond its prior boundaries. Add to that the domino effect of his work - no peak Beach Boys without Be My Baby, etc - he was undoubtedly one of the key forces behind my love of 60s music.

So as time said, loving Spector's work makes me a master at separating the art from the artist. It pleases me to see Ronnie Spector outlive him.

Also, his work on a few bespoke productions is worth mentioning - he got the very best out of George Harrison, for example, and whilst his Ramones collaboration made for a patchy album their take on Baby I Love You is a real standout in their catalogue. Question is - what do we put out on our List of the Lost radio show at the start of next year as a track to mark his passing?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N. Fritz said:

Biggest miss maybe? 

Aye, but...

Covid puts a curve-ball into the Deathlist 50 - granted, anyone hugely famous and in a US jail might have been a contender on that basis, but it's summat of a lottery all the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N. Fritz said:

Biggest miss maybe? 

Biggest miss SO FAR* : King, Menem, Gorbachev etc would probably be the biggest ones but there's a thread for that, no need to pollute this one with my lingering disapointment :lol:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, N. Fritz said:

Biggest miss maybe? 

I don't think so.  Would've been a fairly random selection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Also, his work on a few bespoke productions is worth mentioning - he got the very best out of George Harrison, for example, and whilst his Ramones collaboration made for a patchy album their take on Baby I Love You is a real standout in their catalogue. Question is - what do we put out on our List of the Lost radio show at the start of next year as a track to mark his passing?

I'm very fond of  Dion's mid 70s comeback album he produced most of, in his inimitable style.

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, but...

Covid puts a curve-ball into the Deathlist 50 - granted, anyone hugely famous and in a US jail might have been a contender on that basis, but it's summat of a lottery all the same.

In fairness, we knew as far back as 2014 that Spector's Parkinsons was bad. It was reported then that he could no longer walk or speak.

So I would classify it as a miss, even with or without COVID as a factor, because I think he would've likely gone this year regardless.

• Thanks 1

As others have said, not a nice person but a genius.  I love his work and appreciate his influence.

He didn't miss Lana Clarkson did he?

But the committee missed him. Worst miss of 2021. Terrible shooting.

Who at the BBC thought this headline was a good idea?

C48EDAB9-3CC2-4ACD-9295-67DC6CCB7C1E.png.95dd3490bdadfe5e99ec8daeb08d380a.png

Right. And Fred West was a talented but flawed builder was he?

• Like 1

YES YES YES!  I promise to never gloat at any death as much henceforth – but this is the first hit on my first shadow list. Great year so far as far as I'm concerned.

Good riddance... Hard for me to reconcile Phil’s massive artistic contributions with his utterly demented personality. I’m honestly surprised he only killed one person in his life, considering he was always flailing his gun around like an unhinged Yosemite Sam.

The first hit of my shadow list 2021.

I noticed he had been put into the medical wing of his prison so thought I'd give him a punt.

• Like 1