James

Opera

3 hours ago, msc said:

Posted in the entirely wrong place:

Obit was never a worry. State of illness last December was. Still, these things happen. Like Sharon Jones.

I never doubted his obit, he just didn’t seem deathlisty at all...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

"Legendary" Lithuanian opera singer Virgilijus Noreika dead at 82:

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-03/03/c_137013919.htm

(chinese source for lithuanian opera singer - wow!)

People's Artist of USSR in 1970. They fall like flies.

Hey alt obits guy, I like your work.  Good to see you finding the threads, I know it takes a while.  
I was in charge of all the human obscura posts, looks like you've taken over :( lol
Anyway don't let it be said SC can't dole out a compliment on rare occasion.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2018 at 08:28, Sir Creep said:

Hey alt obits guy, I like your work.  Good to see you finding the threads, I know it takes a while.  
I was in charge of all the human obscura posts, looks like you've taken over :( lol
Anyway don't let it be said SC can't dole out a compliment on rare occasion.

Thank you.  (Just seeing this today, July 18th)

Not me SC, not got a team in.

15 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Scavenger hunt DP by chance??

Not a pick.

Already on the site. Classy pick, one of my favourites in this year for research I think.

His pancreatic cancer was high on the search results for a long time, or so it seemed to me. But the AP obit was the question I thought.

Definitely a classy pick. Wish I had picked him somewhere before his death...

I saw the Plasmatics and the B-52s (two different shows) at what would become the Detroit Opera House.  Pavarotti opened the place back around 1995.  I wonder if he chainsawed a tv like Wendy O.? 
SC

David DiChiera? Michelangelo.

Hope someone on the forum will undestand the joke...

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I saw the Plasmatics and the B-52s (two different shows) at what would become the Detroit Opera House.  Pavarotti opened the place back around 1995.  I wonder if he chainsawed a tv like Wendy O.? 
SC

My all-time-favorite-band!!! :wub:

When was it and how did you like them?

Kate or Cindy??? ;)

3 hours ago, Book said:

My all-time-favorite-band!!! :wub:

When was it and how did you like them?

Kate or Cindy??? ;)

They were loads of fun, original lineup back then (1982 I think).  The building was actually one of the original motion picture theaters in the USA, built in the 1920s.  The stage was massive as it was a theater and/or stage productions.  (well here, here is the history rather than me guessing.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Opera_House).  So Fred and the gang had lots of room to party out of bounds.  Only downside is that it WAS a theater, and there was seating, meaning it wasn't designed for dancing around other than near your seat.  I'd have liked to see them at a general admission open floor place, maybe would have been cool. 
I saw the Stray Cats at this venue as well, I had forgotten to mention.  

LOL I"m not choosing sides, Kate AND Cindy! :)

[Edit: From Wiki: "The present Detroit Opera House opened in 1922 and was known as the Capitol Theatre. It was among the first of several performance venues built around Detroit's Grand Circus Park. When it opened, the Capitol was reportedly the fifth largest movie theater in the world, seating about 3,500 people. In 1929, the Capitol Theater became the Paramount Theater, and in 1934, the Broadway Capitol Theater."
I had almost forgotten this.  In typical Detroit fashion, they trash their history for modernism.  It's amazing anything is saved.  I went to school a couple blocks from the ongoing renovations to the opera house.  One day they were tearing down the facade and behind the present day sign on the entrance was a large metal sign that said 'Paramount' in stylized lettering known to them.  It had been lovingly tossed in the construction bin.  Sometimes I hate my city of birth and/or the attitudes of people these days.  If I could have climbed the fence and dragged that sonovabitch sign away and kept it I would have.  SC]

Edited by Sir Creep
  • Like 1