James

Opera

German-Austrian operatic soprano and actress Renate Holm (Wikidead at 90

Renate Holm - IMDb

• Like 1

On 09/02/2020 at 21:44, ThePrematureBurial said:

I forgot to put Christa Ludwig, Renata Scotto, Marilyn Horne, Placido Domingo, Martina Arroyo, Jane Berbié, Mady Mesplé, Reri Grist & Teresa Berganza on my lists. They're in grave danger, I fear. :crossbone:

Teresa Berganza dead at the age of 87:

https://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura/20220513/8264098/muere-teresa-berganza-mezzosoprano-cantante-opera.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ronnie Hellstrom, eat your heart out.

Obligatory grumble, grumble, etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Ronnie Hellstrom, eat your heart out.

Yes, I see your point, @YoungWillz.

But Teresa Berganza was one of the greatest of all time.

I cried during one of her performances.

Her talent was really impressive.

And she seemed like a good person, always doing concerts for the benefit of associations dedicated to children with autism.

I'm happy for her QO. ;)

• Like 3

I think, that the most important name that ought to be included in the 2023 deathlist is Leontyne Price (1927). The most famous surviving diva from the golden age of opera. She made recordings at a time when Maria Callas, Renata Tebaldi & Joan Sutherland were her only rivals. 

Screensho1001-996x675.jpg

Sutherland's widower, Richard Bonynge (1930) is still alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GoVJwW5oNg

So is Renata Scotto (1934)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI44z_42oS4

Sherrill Milnes (1935)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn45-a9KUaw

and Zubin Mehta (1936), who is still conducting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45b8fets84

Renato Bruson (1936) seems to be in good health. Domingo & Carreras are still singing, too.

• Like 2

We have been notified of the death of Jan Grissom, a cherished soprano for two decades at the Metropolitan Opera, Houston and Hamburg Staatsoper. She had been suffering from breast cancer and died on Christmas Eve.

In later years, she taught at Mississippi State University and latterly was professor of voice and opera at Brenau University in Gainesville.

SC

• Like 1

On 24/01/2023 at 15:37, Gisooo said:

Canadian soprano Claire Gagnier (Wikidead at 98

Claire Gagnier - Wikipedia

Thank you but I don’t read the language of this publication.

(I’ve decided to post this stock response on every foreign language obit nonsense that gets posted on DL. That should keep the post count up!  The reason I will be posting this stock response in protest is that the link proves nothing, as I can’t read it.  Nothing has been communicated.  The onus is not on the reader to assure that the message being communicated has actually done so. It’s on the communicant. For all I know this article says happy 98th birthday.

English is the dominant language in the media.  Ridiculously so. If a person does not get a single English language obit in this, the 2023rd year of our Lord, then maybe—just maybe—they weren’t that important, and should be ignored.).

SirC

• Facepalm 9

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

(I’ve decided to post this stock response on every foreign language obit nonsense that gets posted on DL. That should keep the post count up!  The reason I will be posting this stock response in protest is that the link proves nothing, as I can’t read it.  Nothing has been communicated.  The onus is not on the reader to assure that the message being communicated has actually done so. It’s on the communicant. For all I know this article says happy 98th birthday.

English is the dominant language in the media.  Ridiculously so. If a person does not get a single English language obit in this, the 2023rd year of our Lord, then maybe—just maybe—they weren’t that important, and should be ignored.).

SirC

Zzzzzz!

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

SirC

I know that you're a slack jawed small town Yank who is uncultured and thick as pigshit, but even you must surely be able to decipher that "est décédée" = is deceased/dead.

:rolleyes:

This - 

Claire Gagnier 1924-2022

right at the top of the article, no idea what that means either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I know that you're a slack jawed small town Yank who is uncultured and thick as pigshit, but even you must surely be able to decipher that "est décédée" = is deceased/dead.

:rolleyes:

To be fair, French obits can be a little confusing when they say that someone "a disparu(e)".

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

To be fair, French obits can be a little confusing when they say that someone "a disparu(e)".

Nothing confusing about the obit that was posted.

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Nothing confusing about the obit that was posted.

Yes, I agree, but most French obits seem to use the term "disappear".  I suppose it's a euphemism like the overused "passed", or my particular hate "sadlypassedaway".

A refreshing change when people avoid such pusillanimous circumlocution.

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yes, I agree, but most French obits seem to use the term "disappear".  I suppose it's a euphemism like the overused "passed", or my particular hate "sadlypassedaway".

A refreshing change when people avoid such pusillanimous circumlocution.

Some of the euphemisms they use in obituaries are hysterical. “Called home” and “promoted to glory” come to mind. It also amuses me how African Americans say “rest in power” on Twitter. 

Most opera is in Italian and French anyway, so I figure an opera fan could make out a few of those words. Why bother translating it into English?

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Some of the euphemisms they use in obituaries are hysterical. “Called home” and “promoted to glory” come to mind. It also amuses me how African Americans say “rest in power” on Twitter. 

As a child it freaked me out when I read on a gravestone "Fell Asleep"

Austrian opera singer Melitta Muszely (Wikidead at 95

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Book said:

English language obit for her: https://english.radio.cz/czech-opera-singer-sona-cervena-dies-97-8782380

She's a Hare's Pool pick @An Fear Beag.

• Like 1