James

Opera

34 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

English language obit for her: https://english.radio.cz/czech-opera-singer-sona-cervena-dies-97-8782380

She's a Hare's Pool pick @An Fear Beag.

Of course she is- and she was obviously waiting until I did an update of the pool before deciding to pop off. How bloody selfish can you get! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 13/07/2020 at 11:00, ThePrematureBurial said:

55857754_10214854007727276_5119605895914848256_o.jpg

I just found out, that Antonietta Stella (born 1929), one of the last great divas,  is still alive.

She looked very healthy last year, when she celebrated her 90th anniversary, but one never knows...

Edit: Met star Lucine Amara (1924), who sang with Corelli & Richard Tucker is also alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucine_Amara

...and so are Grace Bumbry (1937),  Martina Arroyo & Gwyneth Jones (1936).

Various reports that Grace Bumbry has died after suffering a recent stroke: https://www-swissinfo-ch.translate.goog/spa/austria-ópera_muere-grace-bumbry--la-primera-cantante-negra-que-actuó-en-bayreuth-y-la-ópera-de-parís/48495344?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

I believe she's a DDP pick.

Instantly ninja-ed. :lol:

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Instantly ninja-ed. :lol:

Sorry :lol:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

QO from the Telegraph.

Grace Bumbry, a pioneering mezzo-soprano who became the first Black singer to perform at Germany’s Bayreuth Festival during a career of more than three decades on the world’s top stages, has died. She was 86.

SC

• Facepalm 6

11 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Grace Bumbry, a pioneering mezzo-soprano who became the first Black singer to perform at Germany’s Bayreuth Festival during a career of more than three decades on the world’s top stages, has died. She was 86.

SC

Think you need the Clive Dunn emoji awarded to you SC as see previous posts above.

6 hours ago, Steve said:

Think you need the Clive Dunn emoji awarded to you SC as see previous posts above.

Fair enough, Clive me!

John Dobson, long serving tenor at the Royal Opera, reportedly dead aged 92: 

I see we have shared the role of Dr Blind in Die Fledermaus. A thin connection I grant you, but for that he gets a RIP from me.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2023 at 13:16, YoungWillz said:

John Dobson, long serving tenor at the Royal Opera, reportedly dead aged 92: 

I see we have shared the role of Dr Blind in Die Fledermaus. A thin connection I grant you, but for that he gets a RIP from me.

Guardian obit for John Dobson.

• Like 2

Gabrielle Schnaut died aged 72, German from Mannheim, Baden-Württemberg, was a German classical singer who began her operatic career as a mezzo-soprano in 1976 and switched to dramatic soprano in 1985. She has appeared internationally and performed at the Bayreuth Festival from 1977 to 2000. She recorded works by 20th-century composers and appeared in opera premieres by Wolfgang Rihm and Jörg Widmann.Died on 19/jun

English tenor mainly associated with Wagnerian roles Graham Clark reportedly dead: 

• Like 3

Swedish soprano Berit Lindholm (Wikidead at 88

Lindholm_IsoldeHHGK.jpg.6747e52bbbe5da7b142df8ff8dee527d.jpg

• Like 1

Serbian opera singer Milka Stojanović (Wikidead at 86

• Like 1

French operatic soprano Suzanne Sarroca (Wiki

dead at 96

image.thumb.png.1f19fe8c1cc8b2b684d36506b549d590.png

• Like 1

On 06/09/2023 at 21:10, alt obits guy said:

Tenor Stephen Gould diagnosed with incurable bile duct cancer. Gould said it is fatal with “an outlook of several months to 10 months”. “There is no cure.” 

https://apnews.com/article/tenor-stephen-gould-cancer-a796419e295b7f90c4e7ece4b16e76a5

That was really quick: Gould has died on September 19th.

https://kurier.at/kultur/opernsaenger-stephen-gould-gestorben/402601613

• Like 6

Jaqueline Dark was born in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia and died in Sydney on 3 October aged 55, having been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer the previous year, was a young artist with Opera Queensland in 2000, performed at the Vienna State Opera the roles of Giovanna (Rigoletto), Grimgerde (Die Walküre), Annina (La traviata), Mercedes (Carmen), and Il Pastore (shepherd) in Tosca

https://limelightmagazine.com.au/news/opera-star-and-cabaret-singer-jacqueline-dark-has-died/

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Evil Grimace said:

For those of the forum who like myself (briefly) considered him for next year and wondered if he'd QO, the Gurnard belts out the answer:

Stephen Gould obituary 

Meanwhile, The New York Times had a Stephen Gould obit within days.

• Like 1