Sign in to follow this  
Tempus Fugit

Hugo Bleicher

Hugo Bleicher, according to most sources was born in 1899, making him 107 this year.

He is quite a popular pick in deadpools but is he really still alive? Or is he another Norah Baring?

The last time Bleicher seems to definitely have been around is way back in 1954 when his memoirs were published.

I can't find any more up to date news than that. The man, if he is alive, is as quiet as the grave.

Can anybody else give a link to a recent news source that verifies that Bleicher is still in the land of the living?

This question has raced through my mind several times once before. He is said to be 107 years old, if Hugo Bleicher is still alive, he is probably housed somewhere in Germany kept in the dark from any spot light. Although I remain open in thought that he could be dead.

I was facing the same dilemma when picking my DDP team for this year. Despite doing an extensive search, I was not able to find any death notices for him, so my conclusion was that he was still alive and maybe tucked away in an old peoples home somewhere. He was pretty famous in his day, so I would expect to find an orbit somewhere if he had died.

It's possible that he died way back in the 60s but because of his past record, the family may have kept it quiet to keep themselves out of the glare of the press.

I know nothing about this man and have never heard of him before now, so you must excuse me if he had no family.

It's not my thing to have a DDP team of 105 and up years old...

I was just thinking... Doesn't Notapotato live in Germany? Why don't he flip through the phone book and look under section B. Give some close relatives a call?

I was just thinking... Doesn't Notapotato live in Germany? Why don't he flip through the phone book and look under section B. Give some close relatives a call?

Of course did that immediately I read this thread the other night.

there are three Hugo Bleichers in the phone book. One is a practising doctor, so he's unlikely to be our man. The other two are listed in the phone book so are unlikely to be our man.

I'm not inclined to call any of them to see if they're in any way related.

There is almost no mention of Hugo Bleicher on the German-language bit of the web.

The other two are listed in the phone book so are unlikely to be our man.

It may be unlikely but that isn't certain. With the advanced age of this man, only WW2 veterans would be the only living people who might recognize the name. It's not like he will have dozens of incoming calls on his telephone. Notapotato if I were you, I would dial these numbers and then, you just might speak to the man himself.

Nah.

I wonder if this old lady is still on the go? The pair of them were a hot item back then, it would seem.

Carre, Mathilde "The Cat" ("La Chatte") (c. 1909-?) -- French double agent {arrested by British authorities c. Jul 1942; turned over to French authorities c. 1944; put on trial Jan 1949 by a French court at Paris on charges of betraying at least 48 resistance members to her lover, German intelligence officer Hugo Bleicher; convicted and sentenced to death 7 Jan 1949 (LT 8 Jan 1949:4f); sentence commuted to life imprisonment May 1950; released 7 Sept 1954 (To Set Europe Ablaze p, 86).}

She might know where he is.

Another place where they might know is at the Simon Wiesental Institute for Finding Old Nazis or Whatever it's Called. Or the FBI.

Of course did that immediately I read this thread the other night.

there are three Hugo Bleichers in the phone book. One is a practising doctor, so he's unlikely to be our man. The other two are listed in the phone book so are unlikely to be our man.

I'm not inclined to call any of them to see if they're in any way related.

There is almost no mention of Hugo Bleicher on the German-language bit of the web.

I think Argentina would be a better place to look. Perhaps even Bolivia.

Even in the days before the name Banshees Scream ceased to exist, the entity within often preached the urge to lock the hated nazi Alois Brunner on Deathlist every year untill he had died. I recall it was Anubis The Jackal who claimed his life on earth wasn't really certain...

Aribert Heim on the other hand seems almost certain -

In early 2006, Heim was believed to be in Chile where his daughter Waltraud is reported to live since the early 1970s.

Worth the risk in my eyes. His death will come soon.

Wrongopedia says he died in 2002.

Try as I might, I'm struggling to find any evidence online to support it.

Can't you leave this gallant soldier alone, Oct?

Gawd bless him.

It's good to be back.

He's dead so I put that there a long time ago. O and welcome back bubbles!

I hope you haven't been doing alot of popping lately.

Thanks BS & no, no popping lately.

My irresponsible days of popping are now all in the past, although I did pop to the shop earlier for some milk, but I don't think that really counts.

I bring this up because it has potential DDP consequences. If Erich Kästner was the last German veteran of World War I, doesn't that mean Bleicher, who served as a private during the conflict, is dead?

Guest Shawn Bleicher

He looks like he could have been my Grand fathers father Just saying......

Guest Shawn Bleicher

He looks like he could have been my Grand fathers father Just saying......

Operation paper clip my grandma worked at Wright Patterson AFB in photo analisis but died VERY young of a mysterous cancer which my father took very bad he never missed a Christmas mothers day b-day grave visit my whole life. Any info found mail to Shawn Bleicher 107 Kewaskum St. Iron Mountain Michigan 49801

Guest SB Sb

Magere Hein -- you got any info for me? Also I notice the masonic checker floor on your profile )o,,,

Magere Hein -- you got any info for me?

No, I know nothing about Bleicher.

Also I notice the masonic checker floor on your profile )o,,,

It's not a floor, it's a chessboard. It's part of a medieval painting showing the Grim Reaper playing the game.

regards,

Hein