Guest Arnold

Emlyn Hughes

Those lucky enough to see him play will recall his boundless enthusiasm, 100% commitment and unrelenting passion for the club whenever he had the Liver Bird or the 3 Lions close to his chest.

Signed in 1967 by Bill Shankly, he was to be one of the most inspirational signings Liverpool FC ever made.

Hughes, who also played for Blackpool, Wolves, Hull, Mansfield and Swansea, went on to make his mark in television as a captain on the BBC's A Question of Sport quiz show.

His rival captain Bill Beaumont, the former England rugby union captain, said: "He had an infectious laugh, wasn't afraid to laugh at himself and was a great team man."

R.I.P "Crazy Horse"

Guest Emlyn

Gone today!

Very sad to hear the news of Emlyn's death today.A nice bloke who will be missed by many. :flame:

Reading some of the messages above* I have come to the conclusion that some people have a better idea of how to deal with death than others.We are all going to die at some stage and if only one thing is sure about life it's death.If coming to this website and ranting and name calling helps some people deal with the death of someone they have admired then that is fine with me. :ghost3:

Just think about what the world would be like if nobody ever died.

[*The posts referred to have been moved to here - Teddy]

Edited by Teddy

A great sportsman passed away today and a lovely individual. For those of you who support other football clubs, I'm sure you all have an individual who at one time in your life epitimised what it was to follow 11 men around from city to city while they wellied a football up and down the park. Emlyn was that man for me. Not the best footballer to wear either the red of Liverpool or the white of England, but no better smile to lift a trophy. Rest in peace Crazy Horse.A true gent. I'm not going to get into the rant about the site. :rip:

I think he's a bit over rated. He was after all, a footballer and a quiz show captain. Nothing much more. Also I remember reading a newspaper interveiw a couple of years ago and thought What a chauvinist this guy really is.

Guest get real

FYI teddy*.... emlyn did have selfless dedication to others.... yes he was a great tv personality and sportsman.... but he did a tremendous amount of work for charities also..... and i think a truely great person would not have to splash the facts of selfless acts or dedication to others or fighting for their country all over a cv to show that

R.I.P emlyn

[*This is a reference to my post here - Teddy]

Edited by Teddy

Guest thebadgerboy
I think he's a bit over rated. He was after all, a footballer and a quiz show captain. Nothing much more.

You clearly have no idea.

He WAS an inspiration to many.

People who had bvery little in their lives could watch him once a week and for 90 minutes they would have some magic in their lives.

People grew up idolising Emlyn, and he was many people's hero, and it is sad that you can post about such an emotive subject with such little knowledge.

Guest Human Being 1

This site is sad

RIP Emlyn Hughes.

Guest Google Fan

Oh well done DeathList - number 2 on Google for "Emlyn Hughes" thanks to all the people who forgot who he was and had to google him up, and then came here to offer abuse ;-)

Edited by Teddy

Missed the ball, kicked the bucket instead. He was on the second football card I got when I was a kid in the 70's. The first was Eddie McReadie, which is why I became a Chelsea supporter. (In hindsight a good choice these days).

Has anyone noticed celebrities are dropping like flies in the last few days?

:rip:

Guest Arnold

Sorry if this post is late but I've been trying to battle my way to the front of the queue, which has ben hogged for the past 24 hours by a lot of very irate and seemingly drunk people from Liverpool.

Anyway, my point is the maths were stacked against Emlyn since his diagnosis last year. We should have had a more scientific discussion about his possibilities before last Christmas I think.

A great footballer in his time. But a professional ass in retirement. :rip:

Guest kingjobson

hi guest bobnudd but why would you say good riddance. seems like he was a nice bloke ... king

Good to see you're back Arnold after your original post all that time ago triggered such fury yesterday.

I'm sure Boris Johnson could learn something from your diplomatic skills :(

Guest noone

R.I.P :( Emlynr.i.p-emlyn.jpg

I think he's strangling a bunny rabbit. He used to do that, you know...

And voles...

Guest Emlyn's Ghost

:bomb::old::(

By christ, i hope you miserable bar stewards are happy now i'm brown bread. I seem to have ended up in some sort of pergatory where i'm continually playing in a Merseyside Derby and it's on a continuous loop. If this is hell i'd rather be a Bluenose.

Won't be long before some of you gloomy deatheads will be joining me. The death clock ticks inexorably onward. :dead::dead::dead:

:bomb::(:old::(

If you look closely enough you'll see that he's seated next to a horse-headed mascot with a big thumb for hitchhiking.

It look like some sort of evil omen that he's about to hitch a ride with one of the four horses of the apocalyspe to me. :(

I never thought he'd turn out to be one of the ghost-rider harbingers of doom, just goes to show you can't trust anyone these days.

Do you think that's why he was known as "crazy horse?" :bomb:

As Crazy Horse has now passed, and we all know what happens to horses when they die, should he now be known as "Crazy Glue"?

Well thank you for that Cowboy Ronnie - now I have to take my trousers to the cleaners as I laughed so much

As Crazy Horse has now passed, and we all know what happens to horses when they die, should he now be known as "Crazy Glue"?

Or perhaps even a new super concentrated gelatine based confectionery title, Crazy Gums.

Still pondering what the strap line would be for these.

Crazy Gums, A Question of Sweets ?

If you've got a bit of the super-gelatine left over then perhaps I could even suggest a spin off product... Crazy Lozenges or Crazy L's, for when you are feeling a bit horse.

For L's sake, if you feel horse, get crazy.

As loathed as I am to cast aspersions towards a normally sober & upstanding pillar of the DL committee, don't these...

If you've got a bit of the super-gelatine left over then perhaps I could even suggest a spin off product... Crazy Lozenges or Crazy L's, for when you are feeling a bit horse.

For L's sake, if you feel horse, get crazy.

...sound like the ramblings of a drunk who's just rolled in at 1 a.m. with half a kebab down the front of his shirt?

Hope the head's clearing nicely, Mr A :(

... if you feel horse, get ...
help.

Or a girlfriend :(