themaninblack

Dick Francis

86 in October, has suffered from Prostate Cancer for 12 years and has published

surely his last book after a 6 year gap.....

...and has published

We can but hope so.

The only appropriate demise for Dick would be if he were murdered whilst holidaying on the Devon canals.

His body being discovered in a lock.

D'ya think any obit writer would have the nerve to title the piece; FLACCID DICK!"

or

DICK IS STIFF!

86 in October, has suffered from Prostate Cancer for 12 years and has published

Well, Dick Francis has been discussed a fair bit here.

I'd have to say that I don't think he'll die that soon. He certainly looked well at Aintree at the Grand National earlier this year.

Dick was on the morning BBC1 show a few weeks back - promoting his book and I'll hazard a bet he will be still arround into 2008 since he looked "spry" and said he spends over half the year in the Caymon Isles over the winter months.

Excellent article on Dick here - although still working & upbeat, the article mentions the following:

A tiny old man in a large Oxfordshire kitchen is neatly writing postcards to America despite the fingers misshaped into question marks.

His light frame is now frail. Last year he had a triple heart bypass and a foot amputated, yet he’s still the most commanding person in the room. He signs his postcards “Legless Dick”.

A walking frame and a wheelchair are close by.

Had I stumbled upon this article earlier, I may well have given serious consideration to including Dick on my DDP team this year. It dates from around the same time as OoO's article, and despite continuing to work, he does sound hilariously accident prone in recent years. It also concludes by saying that he's already planned the epitaph for his headstone.

I always thought that Dick Francis used to be the request of Frankie Howerd when encountering one of the many nubile men he regularly accosted...

Oh ok, it wasnt.

Former jockey and author Dick Francis has died, aged 89

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/b...es-aged-89.html

Very surprised that Dick Francis was not on the 2010 list - but even more amazed that Sir Bernard Lovell (96 this year) & Ruby Mohammad (The Mother of Islam & 112 this year) are not on our sacred role of mortality.

Yeah... Why wasn't Dick Francis on the list? :lol:

Was he on the tip of your tongue before today?

Didn't think so.

I'd have said he was a dead cert myself.

Before I get my coat, I'll just add that someone didn't like him much

Also, it'd be nice if it turned out that he died yesterday, being the 13th.

The world's supply of Dicks is waning, this sad news brings the world takes another small step towards Dicklessness.

Is it time for a thread of Dicks (insert your own punchline here), after the rapturous reception the Jean/Jane one got? Strongly considered Dick Bruna for this year, and Dick Clark is rumoured to not have long left to go.

I picked up a book written by him once. I had colorful dust jacket and a profile of a horse. I didn't read the book, I had no interest in it, especially upon realizing he wasn't the Dick I had thought he was, which was Dick Schapp, who made the mistake of titling his memoir Flashing Before My Eyes and then promptly dropped dead.