maryportfuncity

Suicidal Celebs

The award-winning writer Paul Abbott, who created the TV dramas Clocking Off and Shameless, has spoken of his "constant" thoughts of suicide.

"It crosses your mind every day," he said. "You look at a bridge and think: 'Oh, that's high enough.'"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6351709.stm

I f*****g don't, I look at a bridge and think; 'that's a bridge.' Think it works better my way, despite the fact he's famous.

Bugger you've got me worried now MPFC because I look at bridges in the way that Mr Abbott does. I was crossing one yesterday and looked down and that was exactly what I was thinking. I had the dog with me and I was wondering if he would survive (there was about 2 ft of water flowing underneath). Cliff edges, tall buildings all do the same for me - this thought that one step could change everything. I imagine the drop too; it's almost exciting. But I don't imagine the splat. I don't care for the splat much.

Once I had one suicide attempt under my belt I noticed that whether or not I was actively suicidal I still thought in those terms. It continues to this day.

I think that once you have stepped over and broken the taboo against suicide it stays in your mind as a viable option - whether or not you have a serious intent to follow through.

• Like 1

Once I had one suicide attempt under my belt I noticed that whether or not I was actively suicidal I still thought in those terms. It continues to this day.

That's horrible. Your optimistic mind is sure thinking fabulous. :(

The award-winning writer Paul Abbott, who created the TV dramas Clocking Off and Shameless, has spoken of his "constant" thoughts of suicide.

"It crosses your mind every day," he said. "You look at a bridge and think: 'Oh, that's high enough.'"

I f*****g don't, I look at a bridge and think; 'that's a bridge.' Think it works better my way, despite the fact he's famous.

Bugger you've got me worried now MPFC because I look at bridges in the way that Mr Abbott does. I was crossing one yesterday and looked down and that was exactly what I was thinking. I had the dog with me and I was wondering if he would survive (there was about 2 ft of water flowing underneath). Cliff edges, tall buildings all do the same for me - this thought that one step could change everything. I imagine the drop too; it's almost exciting. But I don't imagine the splat. I don't care for the splat much.

Too true. If you jump from height into water, you die because your inner organs (eg lungs, aorta, guts) continue to fall rapidly while the rest of you decelerates rapidly. If you jump from a height onto terra firma you die from what is known as a 'burst injury'. All in all there's little, but for an overdose of insulin, that assures a peaceful departure. And, even then, I've known someone survive with terrible brain damage.

Suicide - the ultimate act of courage or the complete expression of selfishness? Discuss.

Did that insulin OD case go by the name of Iain? Might explain a lot.

Suicide - the ultimate act of courage or the complete expression of selfishness? Discuss.

To be honest, you're not really thinking in those terms at the time.

If you jump from height into water, you die because your inner organs (eg lungs, aorta, guts) continue to fall rapidly while the rest of you decelerates rapidly.

I never knew that Pook, yet some people do survive falls in to water from big suspension bridges. Is a belly flop your best chance of survival I wonder?

Guest Guest

If you jump from height into water, you die because your inner organs (eg lungs, aorta, guts) continue to fall rapidly while the rest of you decelerates rapidly.

I never knew that Pook, yet some people do survive falls in to water from big suspension bridges. Is a belly flop your best chance of survival I wonder?

Feet first is yer best bet. Minimise the surface area that hits the water. That way you'll just fracture the femurs ....... not a boon for swimming unfortunately.

Guest Guest

To be honest, you're not really thinking in those terms at the time.

Difficult to say. How would you know what they were thinking? 'Successful' suicides are difficult to interview. And unsuccessful attemptors may be qualitatively different types of people and so give a different account.

Too true. If you jump from height into water, you die because your inner organs (eg lungs, aorta, guts) continue to fall rapidly while the rest of you decelerates rapidly. If you jump from a height onto terra firma you die from what is known as a 'burst injury'. All in all there's little, but for an overdose of insulin, that assures a peaceful departure. And, even then, I've known someone survive with terrible brain damage.

I think that's a tricky one. Speaking as one that has wobbled along the tightrope between doing it and not doing it, and who still does peer over the edge of the cliff at the rocks below at times, I think it's an act of complete and utter despair and desperation because you simply cannot see another way out, and you feel that everyone around you will be relieved that they don't have to live with your misery and madness any longer. It would be a blessed relief all round. So in that sense, I don't think it can be construed as selfish, because you're not thinking that way at the time, you're thinking 'if I'm gone, they won't have to deal with my sh*t any longer'. Courage? I think it takes a strange sort of courage to do it. A tricky subject, and one that has any number of different answers, I feel.

And on that happy note, I'll go to work. Have a good day everyone! :(

Feet first is yer best bet. Minimise the surface area that hits the water. That way you'll just fracture the femurs ....... not a boon for swimming unfortunately.

PS That last reply was me on another PC

Trust Channel 4 to have something to say on the matter:

Why Did Dad Choose to Die?

9:00pm - 10:00pm, Channel 4

This documentary mines such deep wells of pain involving children whose fathers have committed suicide that it's often hard to take. I'm sure I'm not alone in finding the sight of a teenage girl sobbing, having been asked by director Jane Treays if she "would like to have a cry now", upsetting and intrusive. (The girl's father killed himself when she was very young.) I hope the children involved in the programme found it cathartic in some way, but these are still stories of unbearable sadness, no matter how stoic the youngsters can sometimes seem. Luckily for them they are helped by the wholly admirable charity Winston's Wish, which exists solely to aid children in coming to terms with the death of a parent or close relative. Treays's tightly focused interviews with her subjects provide the main thrust of the programme. Yet however gentle and well-meaning her questions, it's still difficult to eavesdrop on intense, very private grief.

I think that once you have stepped over and broken the taboo against suicide it stays in your mind as a viable option - whether or not you have a serious intent to follow through.

Absolutely - once you cross that line you never really go back....and that's the scary part...death is in your own hands and it loses it's power over you.

I've never felt like killing myself, even when a bit depressed, but I do rather like the "death, I spit in your face" idea so have been "on the edge" as they say on a few occasions. Funnily enough those have been the times when I have felt most alive.

My main concern about death is to be well and truly dead before I'm dispensed with. I was discussing this with a doctor friend at the weekend and he was saying how difficult it is these days to be sure that people are actually dead. A lot of doctors leave things as long as they can before pronouncing.

Richard Jeni, one of Comedy Central's Top 100 Comedians of All Time is dead - looks like suicide.

Edit:

just looked into this guy, he came 57th in the Top 100 list (above Eddie Izzard, Jackie Mason, Bernie Mac among others) but he was also on the panel of judges that decided the list... hmmm

Also, he was an actor and was in the Mask with Jim Carey.

quote: "My mother never saw the irony of calling me a son of a bitch."

Guest Esmeralda
Richard Jeni, one of Comedy Central's Top 100 Comedians of All Time is dead - looks like suicide.

Edit:

just looked into this guy, he came 57th in the Top 100 list (above Eddie Izzard, Jackie Mason, Bernie Mac among others) but he was also on the panel of judges that decided the list... hmmm

Also, he was an actor and was in the Mask with Jim Carey.

quote: "My mother never saw the irony of calling me a son of a bitch."

and he was an integeral part of the short lived series Platypus Man.

Comedian Richard Jeni is dead, an apparent suicide.

Stand-up Comedian Richard Jeni has died. Committed suicide.... :banghead:

Guest Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lets get this right, either there are three Richard Jenis ( comedians ) who have departed or 3 people decided to really hammer the point home by multiple announcement...............................

If its possible to add the amount of times he died on his arse infront of an audience perhaps we should contact the Guiness book of Records .

Guest Guest

Lets get this right, either there are three Richard Jenis ( comedians ) who have departed or 3 people decided to really hammer the point home by multiple announcement...............................

If its possible to add the amount of times he died on his arse infront of an audience perhaps we should contact the Guiness book of Records .

Stating the obvious hmmmm................you suck

Guest Guest

Yes I do, but not you matey!!

Yes I do, but not you matey!!

Ouch.

(and you neglected to give honorable mention to DeadSox and RealMadron, RM being the one who first alerted us of this unexpected almost forseeable tragedy)

The reason for these apparent multiple reports of Richard Jeni's demise is that someone decided to move the posts. Mine was originally posted under "the dead". While I appreciate the fact that I could have posted under "suicidal celebs", I didn't and would prefer that my posts remain where I put them unless there's some huge discrepancy. After all, Mr. Jeni is "dead".

Well, Boston lead singer Brad Delp's death has now been confirmed as suicide. He did so by firing up some grills in a bathroom.

He left a chain of notes - on the front door "To whoever finds this I have hopefully committed suicide. Plan B was to asphyxiate myself in my car."

At the top of the stairs - "I take complete and sole responsibility for my present situation. I have lost my desire to live."

The case is certainly strange - he was working on new albums and new tours and had a lot coming up for him later in the year. He was even engaged to get married this summer. Unfortunately his wife was out for the weekend and his depression must have worsened when he was lonely.

You just never know who is going to go next - this was certainly a surprise for me.

• Like 1

Bill Chinnock, a founder member of the E Street Band, who was replaced by Bruce Springsteen, has killed himself. He suffered from Lyme Disease.
  • Like 1