CarolAnn

Baseball

George Steinbrenner III, one of the most powerful men in baseball and owner of the New York Yankees, is now a befuddled, bloated old man in "dreadful" shape

American Deathlisters, how does The New York Post rank as a news source? It's style does seem a bit similar to the National Enquirer.

• Like 1

George Steinbrenner's Yankees are three games back from the Wild Card and talking reality here with the highest payroll in Baseball they have it shouldn't be that difficult for them to regain a trip to the playoffs.

If the Yankees have anything going for them it's the amount of games they have left to play. In my professional opinion 'if' and I say 'if' the Yankees ever did make the playoffs and won the world series it would be one of the most dramatic events in sports history. A team that was disgraced and annihilated by critics has won their 27th Ring. The pay roll speaks for itself ... Torre on top again ... Clemens was worth the money ... and so on.

Now if this ever happened Red Sox fans would be shitting their pants and the suicide rate in Boston would go up like 30%.

Sorry Dead Sox, just talk if this ever went down. But I doubt it especially after the moves Boston has made. I don't really think the Yankees deserve to make the playoffs but if they make it - they make it. In the end we will just have to see what happens.

George Steinbrenner III, one of the most powerful men in baseball and owner of the New York Yankees, is now a befuddled, bloated old man in "dreadful" shape

American Deathlisters, how does The New York Post rank as a news source? It's style does seem a bit similar to the National Enquirer.

It's rarely completely untrue, and rarely completely true. My guess is that the underlying problem (dementia) is likely there and that he has health problems, but it's probably not as bad as they make it out to be... I wouldn't bet the farm on it anyways.

Especially now that you don't even have a tractor. :)

Talking Baseball soon I'll be making my prediction of who gets the ring this year ... but first

And I thought Mark Maguires 'I'm not here to talk about the past was funny' only excluding the fact that before steroids he was a good player, the true story of Barry Bonds.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_T6Hj2XMiWg

We're waiting for your prediction with bated breath, BS.

Getting down too business ............ it's crazy in New York. The Florida Marlins and the whole Mets club house has cleared twice in the passed ... 10 minutes! It's a major Show Down between The Phillies and The Mets at this point 'they are up 9 - 0) and John Maine hasn't given up a hit through five. In the next two days the final standings will be clear and I'll state my bet on who wins. I think we are in for a shock.

Guest Babe Ruthless
I think we are in for a shock.

It would take a shock from a TASER to get Brits interested in baseball. Tell us when "it's bottom of the 9th and the bases are loaded", Mister Scream.

I think we are in for a shock.

It would take a shock from a TASER to get Brits interested in baseball. Tell us when "it's bottom of the 9th and the bases are loaded", Mister Scream.

It's not like I created this thread, but I've been analyzing the sport for some time. Anyway Baseball is ten times better then Cricket, not to mention more popular.

Anyway Baseball is ten times better then Cricket, not to mention more popular.

if you exclude India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, then maybe.

However I see no reason why they should be excluded, as they account for about 25% of the world's population.

The Mets choke. A wonderful thing.

The Baseball Post Season Series

American League

Los Angeles Angels vs Boston Red Sox

New York Yankees vs Cleveland Indians

National League

Colorado Rockies vs Philadelphia Phillies

Chicago Cubs vs Arizona Diamondbacks

The Boston Red Sox have rallied from a 3-1 series deficit to defeat the Cleveland Indians 4-3. They outscored Cleveland 30-5 in the final three games. Bring on those red hot Rockies!

Three outs away from being World Series champions. I take it all back, crack open a cold one Dead Sox man.

It's Bostons night.

The Red Sox will be cursed for another lifetime.

A sweep of the Rockies and a second World Series title in four years. Some curse, BS. I'll have a cold one with you!

Three outs away from being World Series champions. I take it all back, crack open a cold one Dead Sox man.

It's Bostons night.

One question. How, exactly, can any of your Baseball teams be crowned "World Series Champions" if the competition excludes any teams outside of North America?

Guest Arrogant & Sarcastic Brit :-

It's Bostons night.

One question. How, exactly, can any of your Baseball teams be crowned "World Series Champions" if the competition excludes any teams outside of North America?

There are countries outside of North America? Perhaps that is what Miss South Carolina was alluding to in her eloquent acceptance speech.

america.gif

It's Bostons night.

There are countries outside of North America? Perhaps that is what Miss South Carolina was alluding to in her eloquent acceptance speech.

america.gif

A/S Brit:

Thank you for your kindness, guest. As you know, we are suffering from a shortage of maps in my country. I don't mean to be a fussbudget, but something seems to be, like, missing. Where's Ittlie?

Regards,

Grateful Yank

It's Bostons night.

An interesting question as always, Lord. The reason we call them "world champions" is because there isn't any team anywhere in the world that has even a chance at beating them. Major League Baseball has players from all over the world and the very best players come to North America to vie for the World Series title. It's not that we don't consider the rest of the world, we just know that they can't compete with Major League Baseball. If you have any evidence that this isn't true, I'd love to hear it.

Japan would surely give them a run for their money? Provided all the MLB players hailing from Japan were allowed back, of course......

Japan would surely give them a run for their money? Provided all the MLB players hailing from Japan were allowed back, of course......

We'd first need to clarify the question - I read our esteemed colleague LFN's initial e-mail to be in reference to the World Series champs the Boston Red Sox. Major league baseball has for many years sent an All-Star team to Japan at the end of the two countries' respective seasons. I believe the US team wins slightly more than they lose, but it's fairly close. Applying these results to the question of would the World Series winner beat the Japanese champion, the answer is probably more often than not, but certainly not every time. The results would also vary according to how strong the World Series winner is, because some years (e.g. St. Louis in 2006) a mediocre team can get hot at the right time, win 11 games in the playoffs and become champions, and the Japanese winner would probably be rubbing their hands at the prospect of playing them. The 2007 Boston Red Sox would likely beat all comers, aided in no small part by the fact that two of their better pitchers are Japanese.

TFH is commenting on how would a team comprised of US players do against teams of other nationalities. The World Baseball Classic took place for the first time last year, and the top four teams were Japan, Cuba, Dominican Republic and Korea. The US has won the Olympic gold medal in baseball once, Cuba three times. Of course, thanks to DL favourite Fidel Castro the only Cubans playing in the US major leagues began their journeys to the promised land by raft.

With respect to the World Series name, remember it's been around for 100 years and back when it started baseball wasn't much played outside the US, so it wasn't such a self-absorbed sounding moniker.

The map thingy, by the way, is rubbish - Americans would never spell "civilisation" with an "s", it's civilization, and they would not have a "u" in "Neighbors". So whoever created it is showing their own ignorance about another country's customs. Stupid first stone caster.

With respect to the World Series name, remember it's been around for 100 years and back when it started baseball wasn't much played outside the US, so it wasn't such a self-absorbed sounding moniker.

It all comes down to the fact of MLB being the most dominant and respected league in the world. The players of Japan are very talented, but it's not like ten players from America are hustling to Japan to sign four year - multi - million dollar contracts.

For any basic talent from Japan baseball in the US will get them eye brow raising contracts, even if they spend it in the minor leagues like Kei Igawa of the Yankees for example. The reason why players of Japan have such high value is because of their experience, but even more so because they have gone unseen by the current players in MLB. A Japanese pitcher has the edge.

The only problem with players of Japan is they usually don't live up to the standards of what their contract reads. Bostons Daisuke Matsuzaka for example signed a contract that 'could be' worth up to 60 million dollars. It's f****n incredible, since the guy only won fifteen games with a high ERA on a Boston Red Sox team.

Anyway, I expect around ten Japanese players to be on the market this winter. All who are overrated, and all who will be overpaid.

Remember folks, I'm not talking about how Americans would fare against the rest of the world (it was rightly pointed out that the World Baseball Classic addressed that), I'm talking about Major League Baseball, which consists of the best players from all over the world. To be sure, the Japanese play a very good brand of baseball but their very best players (Matsuzaka, Matsui, Suzuki, e.g.) are playing in the Major Leagues. As BS rightly pointed out, Matsuzaka was very much a rookie this year with a high Earned Run Average. He still needs to adjust to the higher level of competition in the Majors (especially in the American League) and I believe that he will. The teams that represent the Major Leagues in Japan are not really the best examples of Major League Baseball. It's well known that many lower level Major League players go to Japan and have good success. Even a less impressive World Series winner like last year's St. Louis Cardinals would beat any Japanese team in a meaningful series.

• Like 1