CarolAnn

Baseball

During a tribute to those afflicted with cancer between innings during Game 4 of the World Series on Saturday, Astros manager A.J. Hinch held a card with former Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers’ name on it.   A fact previously unknown to the general public, Hinch apparently revealed Towers has cancer.
SC

• Like 1

Rick Hader, better known as Myron Noodleman, a clown who appeared at many minor league baseball games and other public events, has died aged 59 from sinus cancer. He was also the uncle of comedian/actor Bill Hader and brother of screenwriter Matt Hader.

6 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Rick Hader, better known as Myron Noodleman, a clown who appeared at many minor league baseball games and other public events, has died aged 59 from sinus cancer. He was also the uncle of comedian/actor Bill Hader and brother of screenwriter Matt Hader.

Deathrace candidates just don't have the staying power in October/November.

Of course, they make it to January, and suddenly they're Lazarus - sods law.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 22:45, FixedBusiness said:

Never heard of any of them.  A clown at minor league baseball events—you know, it’s ok to NOT post every single obit you come across (yes I saw and dismissed this one).  Is there a bar that isn’t too low for some of you?

SC

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Never heard of any of them.  A clown at minor league baseball events—you know, it’s ok to NOT post every single obit you come across (yes I saw and dismissed this one).  Is there a bar that isn’t too low for some of you?

SC

Says the guy who posts obscure American politicians and unknown university president. 

• Like 4

On 11/3/2017 at 07:56, Joey Russ said:

Says the guy who posts obscure American politicians and unknown university president. 

Oh look the teenagers all loved your childish response.  FWIW I'll amuse you further.  Those posts are precisely the topic at hand.  University Presidents -- am I not supposed to post them?  No one has ever heard of ANY of them, but the thread exists.  Now, if you are arguing to delete the thread altogether, I'm on your side, my childish teenager.  OTOH if you are saying we aren't supposed to post university presidents in the university presidents thread -- well then I'm all ears waiting for who we ARE supposed to post in there.  If you're waiting for a university president you know of, well you may get 1 addition per 5 years.
As to the politicians, I say the exact same thing.  The thread exists, and I think we have all understood we don't post minor people like the mayor of a town.  However, all state and federal congresspersons are certainly people we should post in the thread, but if you want to have an intelligent discussion (LMAO) on it, please feel free to explain how that isn't the scope of the thread.  
However.....I think like local mayors, it is well understood that people who participated in baseball at nothing more than the minor league level couldn't be less important, other than perhaps a guy who was a fucking CLOWN/MASCOT at the minor league level.  But by God, I'm so happy you filled the gap with that obit, my teenage friend.  

If you're to busy to respond, maybe Zsa Zsa's leg or FixedBusiness or Phantom will be happy to be your champion on this one and explain away the differences and defend your posting a clown who appears at minor league baseball games in the baseball thread.  I'll assume the family members of all baseball players and concession stand workers are also proper to post here.  Am I missing anyone?
SC

• Like 1

Minnesota Twins third base coach, and 32-year coaching veteran (3rd longest in MLB history), Rick Stelmaszek, who also oversaw the bullpen, organized spring training, tutored the catchers and kept generations of Twins players entertained with his droll and biting sense of humor, died Monday of pancreatic cancer in Chicago. Stelmaszek, the longest-serving uniformed employee in Twins history, was 69.
SC

WOW..... big news.  RIP, way too young. (I know I know...save it).
SC

Doc Halladay?

Did he have a nemesis called Roy Ike Clanton or Roy Johnny Ringo?

What about Whitey Ford? He just turned 89, and next year he'll be 90.

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah, that’s another one on my Poker Tournament squad. Mind you, I’m honestly surprised that so many people on my team are still alive, but you know, that’s how life works sometimes.

Tracy Stallard, who pitched seven seasons in the big leagues and was best known for giving up Roger Maris’ record-setting 61st home run in 1961, has died at the age of 80.

While pitching for the Boston Red Sox, Stallard served up the fateful home run to Maris on Oct. 1, 1961 at Yankee Stadium as the slugger eclipsed Babe Ruth’s single-season mark of 60 homers.

The Red Sox lost that game 1-0 and it was the only hit Maris managed against Stallard in seven career at-bats.
SC

Frank Lary, MLB player for the Detroit Tigers (1954-1964), New York Mets (1964, 1965), Milwaukee Braves (1964) and the Chicago White Sox (1965), has died aged 87. He played for the All-Star team in 1960 and 1961.

Jerry Kindall, a former major-leaguer and the greatest coach in Arizona Wildcats baseball history, has died. He was 82.

Kindall suffered a major stroke Thursday. He was taken off life support Sunday, and died at Tucson Medical Center.  The UA confirmed his death around 9 p.m.

Kindall was a Tucson sports legend and the first person ever to win a College World Series title as both a player (at Minnesota) and a head coach (at Arizona). His Wildcats won national titles in 1976, 1980, and 1986.  Kindall was a "bonus baby"draft pick of the Chicago Cubs who went on to play eighth seasons in the big leagues with the Cubs, Twins and Indians.  Kindall was voted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007 
SC

Former major-league infielder Rob Picciolo, who was traded from Oakland to Milwaukee in May 1982, just in time to be part of the Brewers' surge to their only World Series, died Wednesday at age 64. His family did not announce the cause of death.

Picciolo played nine years in the majors for the Athletics, Brewers and Angels but spent many more years as a minor-league manager and coach, and later a big-league coach. He saw action in only 22 games for the Brewers in '82, batting .286, and played in 14 games for them in '83 before moving on to the Angels. 
SC

s-l640.jpg

Bob Bailey, an original Montreal Expo who got the team's first base hit in 1969, has died. He was 75.

Bailey was a star high school player in southern California in 1961 when he signed as a free agent "bonus baby" with the Pittsburgh Pirates for US$175,000, a whopping sum at the time.

He began his major league career the next season with Pittsburgh. After a disappointing start to his career, he was traded the Los Angeles Dodgers, who sold his contract to Montreal in 1968.

His 17-year major league career also took him to Cincinnati, where he won a World Series in 1976, and the Boston Red Sox. Bailey batted .257 with 189 home runs and 773 RBIs in 1,931 games played.

SC

PS: I was always a huge Montreal Expos fan, not many left.  RIP

s-l225.jpg

On 10/29/2017 at 08:13, Sir Creep said:

During a tribute to those afflicted with cancer between innings during Game 4 of the World Series on Saturday, Astros manager A.J. Hinch held a card with former Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers’ name on it.   A fact previously unknown to the general public, Hinch apparently revealed Towers has cancer.
SC

Dead!
Fuckall.... anyone DDP him?
SC

Edit -- nope, and that was with the above info!  Not even a theme team etc.  Quite a miss for 600 teams imho, not like his cancer was a secret.

New San Francisco Giants hitting coach Alonzo Powell diagnosed Jan 2 with prostate cancer, undergoing surgery today.  Supposed to be ok, but aren't all cancer patients?
SC

• Like 1

Oscar Gamble, a lefty-swinging hitter popularly known for the large Afro hairstyle he wore in the 1970s, died Wednesday at age 68.

the cause of death was not reported.  

Gamble played seven of his 17 Major League seasons with the Yankees, who employed him as a pull hitter who could play part time or come off the bench and take aim at the short right-field porch at Yankee Stadium, in 1976 and again from 1979-84. He hit a career-high 31 home runs for the White Sox in 1977 and also spent time with the Cubs, Phillies, Indians, Rangers and Padres.

Best afro ever.  RIP

SC

download.jpg