CarolAnn

Baseball

Davey Nelson (NAMES I DON"T LIKE -- A GROWN ASS MAN GOING BY "DAVEY'), a Milwaukee Brewers broadcaster and former All-Star infielder who also coached in the majors, has died. He was 73.

The Brewers say Nelson died Monday after a long illness.

Nelson had coaching stints with the White Sox, Athletics, Indians and the Montreal Expos.  He played in the majors from 1968-77 as an infielder with the Indians, Senators, Rangers and Royals. Nelson made the 1973 AL All-Star team after batting .286 with 43 stolen bases with Texas.
SC

dave_nelson_autograph.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Damn (well good for him, but...) 

I was hoping he’d stay deeper in the woods, looks like he’s scratched from May entries. :angry:

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Damn (well good for him, but...) 

I was hoping he’d stay deeper in the woods, looks like he’s scratched from May entries. :angry:

Well, since I’m probably not going to make it to next round, I don’t feel as obligated in hiding certain names...

On 4/24/2018 at 07:37, Joey Russ said:

Well, since I’m probably not going to make it to next round, I don’t feel as obligated in hiding certain names...

Names are getting harder to find, young Joey.  I have a couple interesting discoveries (one person even better than my tractor pulling hall of fame guy lol) but nothing to write home about.  May re-boot a few from this month, frankly.  The next 72 hours better be fruitful.

Frank Quilici, the second baseman who played five seasons for the Twins in the 1960s and later served as coach, manager and broadcaster for the organization, died Monday after a lengthy illness, the team announced.  He was 79.

Quilici spent his entire baseball career with Minnesota after being signed as an amateur free agent in 1961. He made his big-league debut in 1965 and was part of the Twins’ American League championship team that lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers in a seven-game World Series.   Quilici played 405 games for the Twins over five seasons (1965, 1967-70). He was then hired by the Twins as a coach under manager Bill Rigney in 1971 and before taking over managerial duties for the final 84 games of the 1972 season.  He went 280-287 in parts of four seasons as Twins manager and joined the WCCO radio broadcast crew as an analyst working alongside Herb Carneal from 1976-77 and 1980-82.

I remember having this particular baseball card posted below.  Wonder if any of the coaches on it are alive....
SC
(EDIT: Bob 'Buck' Rodgers became a famous manager and is 79, alive and well.  3rd base coach Ralph Rowe (d. 1996, age 71) and 1st base coach Vern Morgan (d. 1975 after transplanted kidney rejected, age 47) aren't so lucky.  NOTE: The year prior to this card, Al Worthington is the pitching coach on the Twins, and was one of the first great relief pitchers in baseball.  Alive and well at 89!

447f.jpg

Dave Garcia might be the one of the only people in sport who's  managing career spanned before John Wayne's Red River was released in theaters and  ended post  9-11

DDP pick Chuck Stevens is dead at 99. Can't post a link as I'm in Europe.

Just now, YoungWillz said:

DDP pick Chuck Stevens is dead at 99. Can't post a link as I'm in Europe.

Here’s the link to his death.

1918 really seems to have bad luck for their 99 year olds not making the century mark.

• Like 1

Bruce Kison, a pitcher who helped the Pittsburgh Pirates win the World Series in 1971 and 1979 and spent three decades in player development and scouting roles, has died of cancer. He was 68.

His wife said Kison died Saturday at the Tidewell Hospice in Bradenton, Florida, near his home. He had been diagnosed with renal cancer on Feb. 14.

Kison won Game 4 of the 1971 World Series — the first night game in World Series history.
SC

kison.jpg

Red Schoendienst is dead according to stltoday.com. As you know, such sites are now no longer valid links in Europe.

Oh, DDP Pick.

Allow me:

1954-Wilson-016.jpg

• Like 1

Dutch Rennert, a National League umpire from 1973 to 1992 who was known for his animated, booming strike calls, has died. He was 88. A cause of death wasn’t given.

Laurence “Dutch” Rennert Jr. was a longtime minor league umpire before his promotion to the National League in 1973. He worked 2,693 regular-season games plus six NL Championship Series, three World Series, in 1980, ‘83 and ‘89, and two All-Star Games.
SC

Billy Connors, a longtime Yankees executive and pitching coach, died on Saturday. He was 76.  Connors was a fixture around the Yankees for many years, first joining the club at the end of the 1988 season. The next year, he began three stints as Yankees pitching coach. In addition to serving in that role in 1989-90, he also worked in that capacity in 1994-95 and 2000.

He was perhaps best known with the Yankees for his time as vice president of player personnel from 1996 to 2012.
SC

Maybe a little misguided placement, but:

Dr. Ken Ravizza, a Cal State Fullerton professor who was among the leading sports psychologists in the nation and a guru of sorts for dozens of major league baseball players, died Sunday night, six days after suffering a heart attack while driving in Orange County. He was 70.

A professor of kinesiology, Ravizza taught classes at Fullerton on stress management and applied sports psychology for nearly 40 years, and his mental skills training helped the Titans baseball team and women’s gymnastics teams develop into national powers in the late 1970s and 1980s.  Ravizza worked with the Angels for about 15 years, from 1985 to 2000, where he developed a close relationship with then-Angels coach Joe Maddon, who went on to become manager of the Tampa Bay Rays in 2006 and the Chicago Cubs in 2015.
SC

Former major league pitcher Tony Cloninger, perhaps best known for hitting two grand slams in a game, has died. He was 77.

Cloninger died Tuesday. He had worked as a consultant for the Boston Red Sox since 2002.

Cloninger went 113-97 during 12 seasons in the big leagues, mostly with the Braves.

On April 12, 1966, Cloninger threw the first pitch for the new Atlanta (Braves) franchise.

He had 11 career homers, making his 2 grand slam game all the more incredible.

SC

3D329FB9-C9A6-451E-B184-35D6B780440E.jpeg

Johnny Lewis, a former Major League Baseball player in the mid 1960s for the St. Louis Cardinals & New York Mets and a coach with the Cardinals in the early-to-mid 70s & again in the mid--to-late 80s, has died.  He was 78.

Image result for Johnny Lewis baseball card

• Like 2