CarolAnn

Baseball

6 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I think this is a Bob Gibson update, the octogenarian with pancreatic cancer, but it's behind the EU wall for me:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/resilient-cardinals-legend-gibson-throws-cancer-a-curve/article_94bb386f-a16a-51e9-87d5-7dc0d04b831f.html

Here's the health bit of the article for those who can't access it. Had a few bad months mid last year, but okayish for now:

For painfully obvious reasons, the Cardinals didn’t open their home schedule Thursday against the Baltimore Orioles. The good news is that Bob Gibson would have been there if there had been no coronavirus pandemic-fueled shutdown of sports.

Diagnosed last summer with pancreatic cancer, Gibson, 84, had no guarantee he would see many, if any, more Cardinals openers. But now his chemotherapy treatments have been moved from once a week to every three weeks and he said he feels no pain.

Gibson is due for a couple of days of tests this week but for now, as he told someone recently, “The reaper came the other day — and I wouldn’t answer the door.”

When a veteran reporter called him the other day, Gibson asked, “Are you still kicking? Me, too.”

With Gibson having been slated to ride in the caravan around the track on Thursday, his scheduled chemo for this week was moved back a week.

“The problem with waiting that long is that when you start with your treatment it’s like starting all over,” the baseball Hall of Famer said. “You have a little ‘sicky feeling.’”

Yet, he allows that, overall, he feels “pretty good.

“I don’t know where I’m going with this disease but they’ll take some tests and they’ll see where it is,” he said. “But I’m not in any pain. I haven’t been in any for two months, maybe three. I’ve been doing this (rehab) for eight months now.

“I had a lot of pain in July, August and September and then in the fall it stopped hurting. But I had back aches and stomach aches. Right now, I don’t have anything aching at all. The only way I know I’m sick is that the doctor keeps telling me. I tell him, ‘Bull(feathers).’”

Gibson said he had had a feeding tube attached for several months.

“It was my idea to get rid of it,” he said. “I had it in for a month-and-a-half without using it.”

With the feeding tube in, Gibson lost 35 pounds, down to 170. But, his appetite restored, he now is closing in on 185 pounds.

• Like 1

I was literally about to post that ^^^ lol beaten to the punch.

18 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

Al Kaline has died

He's faced the final acid test.

Come on, I don't even need my coat for that open goal....;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

For anybody interested in baseball cards, I made an updated list of hall of Famers with rookie cards in the 50s. It’s really becoming the end of the best era or the hobby and the sport.

1951 Willie Mays, Whitey Ford

1954 Hank Aaron, Tommy Lassorda

1955, Sandy Koufax

1956 Luis Aparichio 

1957 Brooks Robinson, Bill Mazeroski

1958 Orlando Cepeda

1959 Bob Gibson

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ajlposh said:

Al Kaline has died

Fucking Detroit legend.

3000 hits.

RIP

6 hours ago, Doc said:

For anybody interested in baseball cards, I made an updated list of hall of Famers with rookie cards in the 50s. It’s really becoming the end of the best era or the hobby and the sport.

1951 Willie Mays, Whitey Ford

1954 Hank Aaron, Tommy Lassorda

1955, Sandy Koufax

1956 Luis Aparichio 

1957 Brooks Robinson, Bill Mazeroski

1958 Orlando Cepeda

1959 Bob Gibson

Christ sake:

Aparicio

Lasorda

38 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Christ sake:

Aparicio

Lasorda

I blame autocorrect 

Former big-league infielder (basically 2b) Glenn Beckert, who played in parts of 11 seasons (nine with the Chicago Cubs), died on Sunday. He was 79 years old.

Beckert won the 1968 Gold Glove Award, and made four All-Star Games during the '60s, including the 1969 affair that included an all-Cubs infield: catcher Randy Hundley, first baseman Ernie Banks, Beckert, third baseman Ron Santo, and shortstop Don Kessigner. Beckert would even earn consideration for the Most Valuable Player Award on three occasions.

His baseball card in 1974 (Cubs/Padres) were one of the hardest ones for young SirC to obtain, so here is.  Note he was traded and he has Cubs jersey on Padres card :wacko::facepalm::D

Exacerbating that was the Padres were runoured to be moving to D.C. and so there were releases of all Padres players as Washington Nationals (non existent team at the time).   

SC

44D56583-7CEB-4439-B330-F719189C9106.jpeg

6CDCA329-B5E5-44EE-9F84-5CCD24993AF2.jpeg

8726E875-B17F-46E5-B2BE-FDEC7483C8FD.jpeg

Damaso Garcia, a two-time all-star second baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays in the 1980s, is dead at 63. He was given six months to live about 30 years ago after they found a brain tumor, so you could say he beat the odds.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29038959/former-blue-jays-2b-damaso-garcia-dies-63

I don’t really remember seeing him play, though I’m sure I did, but his ‘84 Topps baseball card was one of the first I ever owned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DemBones said:

Damaso Garcia, a two-time all-star second baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays in the 1980s, is dead at 63. He was given six months to live about 30 years ago after they found a brain tumor, so you could say he beat the odds.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29038959/former-blue-jays-2b-damaso-garcia-dies-63

I don’t really remember seeing him play, though I’m sure I did, but his ‘84 Topps baseball card was one of the first I ever owned.

garciaas%2B85T.jpg

4 hours ago, DemBones said:

That's TWO Blue Jays 2B so far this year.

4 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

That's TWO Blue Jays 2B so far this year.

Hmm, I had written that he was a very good player, and that was my recollection (he did make a couple of All-Star teams, as was noted), but his career stats paint a different picture.  Regardless, RIP.

19 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Hmm, I had written that he was a very good player, and that was my recollection (he did make a couple of All-Star teams, as was noted), but his career stats paint a different picture.  Regardless, RIP.

I remember the name for sure.  

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I remember the name for sure.  

I remembered him as being a good-hitting second baseman.  And he did win a Silver Slugger once.  His .283 average is solid.  But his OBP was horrific at .309 and he only had 36 HR in his entire career.  He hardly struck out though, never more than 55 times in a season, and he once stole 54 bases (203 total).  If a second baseman was putting up sub-.700 OPS's now, though, they'd be at risk of losing their starting job.  It was just a different era then, of course.  Contact hitters were valued by managers, particularly middle-infielders who could "handle the bat."

• Like 2

Bobby Winkles, who managed and coached in the Major Leagues after having built Arizona State into a powerhouse baseball university, has died. He was 90.  Winkles managed the Oakland A's and California Angels in the majors and had assorted coaching roles with the San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox and Montreal Expos.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29058840/ex-sun-devils-angels-manager-bobby-winkles-dies-90

145694.jpg

• Sad 1

Former major league outfielder and first baseman Bob Oliver, an original member of the Kansas City Royals in 1969, died on Sunday in Rio Linda, Calif. He was 77.

Oliver, the father of former major league pitcher Darren Oliver, spent eight seasons in the majors, including parts of four seasons as a member of the Royals.
SC

C66F710C-0300-4BC3-BCD5-C56A047F716E.jpeg

35 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

Vin Scully has been hospitalized after a fall. It seems like he’ll be okay though

Personally I know Vin Scully because in the X-Files second season episode "Irresistible" Donnie Pfaster asks another inmate what is the name of the female FBI agent and he replies "Scully, like the baseball broadcaster" (or something like that).

I know Vin Scully because whenever the Simpsons used to do commentary voices they'd always try and riff on Vin Scully. Genuinely about 99% of American pop culture from before 2000 that I know is thanks to that show!

Dan Walters, who played 84 games for the San Diego Padres over the 1992 and 1993 seasons before a career change saw him become a police officer, has died. He was 53. Walters was shot and paralyzed in 2003. His death is considered to have been in the line of duty.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/story/2020-04-23/dan-walters-padres-catcher-san-diego-police-dies

1993 Donruss #48 Dan Walters Front