CarolAnn

Baseball

Rich Hacker, who played 16 games with the Montreal Expos in 1971, coached for the St Louis Cardinals from 1986 to 1990 and for theToronto Blue Jays from 1991 to 1993, where he won two World Series, has died. He was 72. (Yes, three baseball deaths over two days.)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/former-cardinals-coach-rich-hacker-a-new-athens-product-like-whitey-herzog-dies-at-72/article_e1c3d47d-7755-5d53-afcf-9458e858d930.html

Rich Hacker Autograph on a 1971 ACEO Baseball Card 1991 Toronto Blue Jays Fire Safety #NNO Rich Hacker Front

• Like 2

On 23/04/2020 at 10:07, ajlposh said:

Vin Scully has been hospitalized after a fall. It seems like he’ll be okay though

Vin Scully back home

I just realized that all nine baseball players who appeared in the Simpsons episode Homer’s at Bat are still alive. So I thought I’d make a list of all of them here to keep an eye on for future pools:

Wade Boggs

Jose Canseco

Roger Clemens

Ken Griffey Jr

Don Mattingly

Steve Sax

Mike Scioscia 

Ozzie Smith

Darryl Strawberry 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I just realized that all nine baseball players who appeared in the Simpsons episode Homer’s at Bat are still alive. So I thought I’d make a list of all of them here to keep an eye on for future pools:

Wade Boggs

Jose Canseco

Roger Clemens

Ken Griffey Jr

Don Mattingly

Steve Sax

Mike Scioscia 

Ozzie Smith

Darryl Strawberry 

Straw has to be the betting favorite to go first from that lot, right? I’m half-surprised he’s not dead already.

2 minutes ago, DemBones said:

Straw has to be the betting favorite to go first from that lot, right? I’m half-surprised he’s not dead already.

Yeah, wonder if Bart and Lisa shortened his lifespan a little: 

• Haha 2

Matt Keough, who pitched 215 games in the Major Leagues, most with the Oakland A's for whom he was currently working as a special assistant, has died. He was 64. His cause of death was not disclosed. Keough started 175 of those games and was part of the A's1980 '5 aces rotation' that saw each member complete an unusually high number of games. During that season, Keough started 32 of 34 games pitched and completed 20 of them. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29127902/former-pitcher-executive-matt-keough-dies-64

1980-O-Pee-Chee-Oakland-Athletics-Baseball-Card-74-Matt-Keough-EX-MT

• Like 2

Former player and executive Bob Watson has died at the age of 74.  He was twice an All-Star as a player, and compiled a solid career batting line of .295-.364-.447, good enough for a 129 OPS+.  He was the first African-American GM to oversee a team winning a World Series in 1996 with the Yankees.  

4 minutes ago, MrWonderful said:

Former player and executive Bob Watson has died at the age of 74.  He was twice an All-Star as a player, and compiled a solid career batting line of .295-.364-.447, good enough for a 129 OPS+.  He was the first African-American GM to oversee a team winning a World Series in 1996 with the Yankees.  

Former Poker Deadpool pick of mine. He had refused a donor kidney mid-2018. The kidney failure still took two years to do it's evil deeds.

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Former Poker Deadpool pick of mine. He had refused a donor kidney mid-2018. The kidney failure still took two years to do it's evil deeds.

Looks to be a DBN pick, and for that here’s the obit

On 15/05/2020 at 00:53, gcreptile said:

Took two years?  His ailment on average had a life expectancy of 6-7 years after diagnosis, which was only a few years ago.  I had him as a sleeper 2022.  Guess I was right :D

SC

1C02475A-7A77-4363-A86F-75A4C16EF67E.jpeg

Larry Gowell, former Yankees pitcher who became more famous for one batting exploit, has died aged 72.

He was the last AL pitcher to record a hit before the introduction of designated hitters.

See the source image

• Like 1

Bobby Locke, who played in all or parts of nine seasons for the Cleveland Indians, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds and California Angels, has died at the age of 86.

Bobby Locke Baseball Stats by Baseball Almanac

Report of the death of Claudell Washington, left hander All-Star who played for various teams and who was battling prostate cancer and recently hospice bound:

Mike McCormick, a former MLB all-star and original San Francisco Giant who won the 1967 National League Cy Young award, has died. He was 81. McCormick had a prolonged battle with Parkinson's Disease.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mike-mccormick-former-mlb-all-star-and-1967-cy-young-winner-dies-at-81/

1962 Topps Mike McCormick #107 Baseball Card

• Like 1

Eddie Kasko, who played with the St. Louis Cardinals and Cincinnati Reds before spending 29 years in the Boston Red Sox organization, going from player to minor league manager to the Sox's field boss from 1970 to 1973, has died. He was 88.

https://nesn.com/2020/06/ex-boston-red-sox-manager-executive-eddie-kasko-dies-at-age-88/

Eddie Kasko - Project Fenway 2

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwiftlyVague said:

Adrian Devine, who was a pitcher for the Atlanta Braves and Texas Rangers, dead at 68.

Special story on former Braves pitcher Adrian Devine

No more happy birthdays for Devine

22AB025E-D612-4362-AEC6-58ADA01FBE38.jpeg

Former Philadelphia Phillies and UCLA pitcher Tyson Brummett was killed after the plane he was piloting crashed in the Wasatch Mountains near Salt Lake City, Utah, on Friday morning, he was 35 and played in one game in the majors.

• Like 1