CarolAnn

Baseball

Seems like all than pancan names are finally striking 2nd half of the year, so watch out Trebek and Sang-chul?

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Seems like all than pancan names are finally striking 2nd half of the year, so watch out Trebek and Sang-chul?

I still don't think Trebek is quite there.  I think he survives the year.  Still doesn't look incredibly frail to me, though he's of course affected.  But I guess it could go downhill quickly.  

Here’s your mail obit btw

Bob Gibson and Lou Brock weren’t separated from each other on earth very long.

Here’s Brock greeting Gibson after Gibson hit a Home Run in Game 6, 1968 World Series vs my Detroit Tigers.

RIP, he was a great pitcher.  
SC

A7948AFA-1F41-4F41-8CA1-FCE18F0E5849.jpeg

Strike 3* for the Dodgers, as Ron Perranoski, relief pitcher from 1961 to '67 and pitching coach from 1981 to '94, has died aged 84.

*The third Dodger to go this week, following Johnstone & Johnson.

See the source image

1 minute ago, time said:

Strike 3* for the Dodgers, as Ron Perranoski, relief pitcher from 1961 to '67 and pitching coach from 1981 to '94, has died aged 84.

*The third Dodger to go this week, following Johnstone & Johnson.

Amazon.com: 1965 Topps # 484 Ron Perranoski Los Angeles Dodgers (Baseball  Card) VG Dodgers: Collectibles & Fine Art

20 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Bob Gibson and Lou Brock weren’t separated from each other on earth very long.

Here’s Brock greeting Gibson after Gibson hit a Home Run in Game 6, 1968 World Series vs my Detroit Tigers.

RIP, he was a great pitcher.  
SC

A7948AFA-1F41-4F41-8CA1-FCE18F0E5849.jpeg

That game 7 pitching matchup between Gibson and Mickey Lolic must have been epic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Former MLB knuckleballer Charlie Haeger is dead from self inflicted gunshot after killing his girlfriend. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abc15.com/news/region-northeast-valley/scottsdale/scottsdale-pd-looking-for-ex-boyfriend-of-woman-fatally-shot-friday%3f_amp=true

That makes four people who played, at some point, for the Los Angeles Dodgers to have died since September 26th. (Jay Johnstone, Lou Johnson, Ron Perranoski and now Charlie Haeger).

• Sad 1

Kim Batiste, who played just over 250 games, mostly with the Philadelphia, the team for whom he got a game-winning in the first game of the 1993 NL championship series, has died. He was 52. Batiste died of complications following kidney surgery.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/phillies-kim-batiste-died-1993-national-league-champions-obituary-20201008.html

1992 Donruss - [Base] #402 - Kim Batiste

26 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Whitey Ford dead:

Mail Obit

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Whitey Ford dead:

When Will We Be Whiteyless?

Now.

(Edit - I’ve been informed Whitey Herzog would object)

C159E3C3-5249-4514-8728-D4591276BC65.jpeg

Whitey Ford is hit #22 for me.

2 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Joe Morgan, Hall of Fame second baseman and 10-time All-Star for the Houston Astros and Cincinnati Reds, died at 77 years:

https://thegamehaus.com/mlb/joe-morgan-passes-away-at-age-77/2020/10/12/

He won World Series Championships in 1975 and 1976 as a member of the famous Big Red Machine in Cincinnati.

What the hell is going on. Joe Morgan, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock all in about a month and don’t forget Al Kaline and Don Larsen earlier in the year. It seems statistically improbable how many hall of Famers from the 50s and 60s are dying. This is very sad but getting hard to process the fact that we are losing these legends considering it is happening so quickly one after another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Joe Morgan, Hall of Fame second baseman and 10-time All-Star for the Houston Astros and Cincinnati Reds, died at 77 years:

https://thegamehaus.com/mlb/joe-morgan-passes-away-at-age-77/2020/10/12/

He won World Series Championships in 1975 and 1976 as a member of the famous Big Red Machine in Cincinnati.

I never knew him as a player but as a commentator he was brilliant and insightful.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 12:22, Doc said:

What the hell is going on. Joe Morgan, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock all in about a month and don’t forget Al Kaline and Don Larsen earlier in the year. It seems statistically improbable how many hall of Famers from the 50s and 60s are dying. This is very sad but getting hard to process the fact that we are losing these legends considering it is happening so quickly one after another.

Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Sandy Koufax,  Eddie Robinson, Tommy Lasorda, etc etc can't be far behind.  

SC.  

On 12/10/2020 at 12:22, Doc said:

You forgot about Tom Seaver.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Sandy Koufax,  Eddie Robinson, Tommy Lasorda, etc etc can't be far behind.  

SC.  

Perhaps Rod Carew as well although he is a bit younger than the rest you mentioned.

15 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC.  

Also Bobby Cox who turns 80 next year has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure,and in 2019 had a stroke. Could see him going in the next year

2 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Perhaps Rod Carew as well although he is a bit younger than the rest you mentioned.

I"ll allow my 'etc etc' to catch those I missed lol.  Very good call, he hasn't long, sadly.

MLB Communications twitter account reporting the death of umpire Derryl Cousins.  He was 74. Cousins umpired from 1979 through 2012. He was exclusively an American League ump from '79 to '99 before becoming one for the entire Major Leagues starting in the year 2000.