CarolAnn

Baseball

Jesus Alou, a two-time World Series champion and the youngest of the Alou brothers, has died. He was 80.  Alou played in 1,380 games combined with four teams, from 1963 to 1979.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/jesus-alou-two-time-world-series-champion-and-youngest-member-of-legendary-alou-brothers-dies-at-80/

image.png.11fa54a2372f2aefbe277068e7fd7afa.png

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, diego said:

Chris Cooper, American baseball player of Italian descent, chosen by the Cleveland Indians in the 35th round of the 2001 draft, died at age 44, played for the Italian national team

https://www.oasport.it/2023/03/lutto-nel-mondo-del-baseball-italiano-scomparso-chris-cooper-a-soli-45-anni/

His wiki (in English anyway) was unclear if he was still playing at the time of his death. Was he?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Comped said:

His wiki (in English anyway) was unclear if he was still playing at the time of his death. Was he?

He wasn't,the translation was wrong,I meant that he played for the Italian national team,sorry

Padres coach Matt Williams diagnosed with colon cancer.

• Like 2

Hobie Landrith, was a baseball player who died on 6 / apr at age 93, he played for Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, St Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants, New York Mets, Baltimore Orioles, Washington Senators and was coach of the latter, He was the director of sales for 45 Volkswagen dealerships in Northern California.

He was the first player in New York Mets history

https://boainformacao.com.br/2023/04/hobie-landrith-o-primeiro-jogador-da-historia-do-mets-morre-aos-93-anos/

Hobie Landrith 1954 Bowman (cropped).jpg

• Like 2

Paul Hinrichs (Wiki), one of the oldest surviving American baseball players dead at 97

image.thumb.png.67b3ae5a676082faf058b15e05ec5b91.png

• Like 2

Don Leppert, who played 190 games combined over four seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates and Washington Senators in the first half of the 1960s, before coaching eight years in the Pirates organization, as well as in Toronto and Houston, has died. He was 91.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/don-leppert-pittsburgh-pirates-player-coach-dies/

image.thumb.png.fba1b1f13ea80c45b0103ee3472a6520.png

• Like 1

Popular pick in pools Pittsburgh Pirates' Dick Groat including the DDP reportedly dead: 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Popular pick in pools Pittsburgh Pirates' Dick Groat including the DDP reportedly dead: 

Do Yanks not realise they give each other nicknames that sound like sexually transmitted infections?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Do Yanks not realise they give each other nicknames that sound like sexually transmitted infections?

I think you mean diseases. Dick Groat sounds like a disease not an infection.

47 minutes ago, Comped said:

I think you mean diseases. Dick Groat sounds like a disease not an infection.

I said what I meant and I meant what I said.

The term is “sexually transmitted infections” in the UK, at least by NHS standards. It was renamed from “sexually transmitted diseases” as infections is more of a catch-all term, and it includes “diseases”.

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I really missed the boat not getting my Pittsburgh theme team done in time.  Would've been the joker and, at least, the second hit already.  Oh well

• Shocked 1

Hard-throwing left-handed pitcher Vida Blue, who was selected to 6 All-Star games and was named American League MVP and Cy Young winner in 1971 with the Oakland Athletics, died at 73 years:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/37546009/vida-blue-former-al-mvp-3-world-series-champ-dies

He won three World Series Championships with the A's in the '70s and earned 209 victories while recording 2,175 strikeouts across his 18-year career.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1