CarolAnn

Baseball

I think 32 would impress me more, for a global point of view.

But the rest of your argument is concise and fair.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike baseball at all, it's just the claim that it's globally more popular than soccer.

I have no idea who your favourite team is but I wish them well.

Oh I realised I have also heard of Mickey Mantle & Mick McGuire.

Mark McGwire? :unsure:

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike baseball at all, it's just the claim that it's globally more popular than soccer.

He was amazing in the 1998 season. Especially that competition between him and Sammy Sosa to see who would score the most homeruns that season. Mark McGwire was victorious and emerged as the all-time single season leader with 70 home runs after breaking the previous record of 61, held for 37 years by Roger Maris. Sammy Sosa who finished the 1998 season with 66 home runs, also surpassed that record. That was a great season :D

He was amazing in the 1998 season. Especially that competition between him and Sammy Sosa to see who would score the most home runs that season. Mark McGwire was victorious and emerged as the all-time single season leader with 70 home runs after breaking the previous record of 61, held for 37 years by Roger Maris. Sammy Sosa who finished the 1998 season with 66 home runs, also surpassed that record. That was a great season :D

Indeed it was. Shame it turns out they were both up to their eyeballs on steroids at the time.

You are right Mr Josco, it was Moses. Jesus was the Red Sea pedestrian (also a bit irritating for the fishermen I should imagine).

If I remember correctly Jesus walked on the water of the lake of Galilee.

As to Mr Christ's fishing: I think this carpenter was rather keen on fishing for people.

regards,

Hein

True but according to Luke (5, verse 4) he first helped them to catch fish. As a carpenter I dare say he made his own rod.

He was amazing in the 1998 season. Especially that competition between him and Sammy Sosa to see who would score the most home runs that season. Mark McGwire was victorious and emerged as the all-time single season leader with 70 home runs after breaking the previous record of 61, held for 37 years by Roger Maris. Sammy Sosa who finished the 1998 season with 66 home runs, also surpassed that record. That was a great season :D

Indeed it was. Shame it turns out they were both up to their eyeballs on steroids at the time.

True enough. Then Barry Bonds broke Mark McGwire's record with 73 homeruns in the 2001 season, and he is also rumored to be on steriods.

At least Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Roger Mais made their accomplishments on beer and hotdogs and fewer games than these steriod clowns.

You are right Mr Josco, it was Moses. Jesus was the Red Sea pedestrian (also a bit irritating for the fishermen I should imagine).

If I remember correctly Jesus walked on the water of the lake of Galilee.

As to Mr Christ's fishing: I think this carpenter was rather keen on fishing for people.

regards,

Hein

True but according to Luke (5, verse 4) he first helped them to catch fish. As a carpenter I dare say he made his own rod.

I would have thought Jesus could more accurately be described as an advanced level fishing coach:

And He said to them "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men", Matthew 4:19.

I don't know a lot about fishing but surely fishing for people takes quite some skill.

Told you I didn't know much. :D

That made the news over here. As did his drugs scandal.

Okay, Lou Gehrig and Bill Dickey. Think I've got the names right. CP keeps mentioning Ron Santo - is he basebally? I am seeing if I can name 20 baseballers. If I can, I will feel a sense of accomplishment.

Okay, Lou Gehrig and Bill Dickey. Think I've got the names right. CP keeps mentioning Ron Santo - is he basebally? I am seeing if I can name 20 baseballers. If I can, I will feel a sense of accomplishment.

Yup - Ron Santo is very basebally. I'm rooting for you, OoO! Gotta go get those pennants made!

Go OoO! Go OoO!

Take me out to the ballpark....lalalalala.....etc etc etc...... :P

Here is a list of single-season leaders for homeruns

Yup - Ron Santo is very basebally. I'm rooting for you, OoO! Gotta go get those pennants made!

Go OoO! Go OoO!

Right, here I go

1 Babe Ruth (cos my sister is called Ruth)

2 Lou Gehrig (cos of the disease)

3 Monty Stratton (cos of Jimmy Stewart)

4 Bill Dickey (likewise)

5 Joe di Maggio (cos of Marilyn Monroe)

6 Hank Aaron (cos of Atlanta based family)

7 Ron Santo (cos of CP)

8 Mickey Mantle (cos of a song by Billy Joel)

9 Mark McGwire (drugs & lots of runs)

10 Sammy Sosa (Olympics, I think)

11 Ted Williams

12 Jackie Robinson (black)

13 Ted Radcliffe (DDP)

14 Yogi Berra (cos of the cartoon)

15 Roger Clemens (don't know why, think he has a similar name to someone I know)

Err.. that's it.

I could not tell you who they played for, though, apart from Aaron (Atlanta Braves). I think Ruth & Gehrig were NY Yankees?

and that, my friends (and enemies), is my entire baseball knowledge. I am not sure if I have missed out on a lot, or not. Who can tell? I shall now leave this thread & its baseball & religious chat & pursue interests elsewhere on this fora. Godspeed

He was amazing in the 1998 season. Especially that competition between him and Sammy Sosa to see who would score the most homeruns that season. Mark McGwire was victorious and emerged as the all-time single season leader with 70 home runs after breaking the previous record of 61, held for 37 years by Roger Maris. Sammy Sosa who finished the 1998 season with 66 home runs, also surpassed that record. That was a great season :unsure:

The 1998 season was a record breaking season, the Yankees swept the Padres in the World Series, Ricky Henderson returned to the A's, David Wells threw a perfect game, and Mark Mcgwire hit 70 home runs that season. Sammy Sosa came close. The glory lived for a few years untill Jose Conseco, a recently retired player wrote a book about the use of steroids through the 1980's and how it progressed into the 90's.

He explained that he was a steroid user, and in the mid 1980's his mother was dieing, and her wish was for him to be successful in the MLB. He claimed that anything which would improve his play, it was worth it. He was apart of 'The Bash Brothers' which was of himself and Mcgwire. He ratted out several players, revealed the hidden truths and then once the public got a - hold of it, the discussions started.

A conference was held on March 17th last year, with the following players present, Curt Schilling, Rafael Palmeiro, Sammy Sosa, Mark Mcgwire, and Jose Canseco. Sosa and Palmeiro both denied use of any body building drugs. Both with very successful careers. Schilling denied the use, and wasn't really suspected of using the drugs, just took place of Bonds in the confrence, since he was recovering from surgery and probably wanted to avoid the media. Schilling pointed at Canseco and pretty much said he felt that Canseco in so many words was trying to make excuses for himself, to appear atleast admitting then the rest of the players.

Mark Mcgwire seemed choked up and pathetic, I find him a very talented player, but when asked questions 'Did you take steroids?' his answer atleast three times was 'I'm not here to talk about the past' with tears in his eyes. Rafael Palmeiro played his last game in 2005, after being suspended and testing positive for steroids. He still denied use and said he had no idea how the drugs entered his body. Cowboy Ronnie - for Sosa there is no solid evidence that he was a steroid user, but his performance with Baltimore and his sudden and also quiet retirment somewhat leads us to believe this. Sosa may have got out lucky. His HOF wish just might get granted?

The only question remains, was Barry Bonds on steroids? Did he hit 73 home runs naturally? I say it's a long shot. As for baseball, I don't think we need proof of this, the game has allready takin a hard hit, and to suspect Bonds at this point may be enough. He is a very talented player, and 2007 should be his last season as the All Star game is at AT@T park. He is twenty one home runs away from tieing Hank Aaron, and twenty two away from becoming the All Time Home Run King. He is entering his twenty second season, it would be good for baseball if we just clapped our hands to his accomplishment.

Looking into the future, the main thought should be 'Steroids or not' it's either everyone is on them, or they are not on them. Statistics of the past can't be erased, it was a different time and a different game. More players were on steroids, and there still is no acctual proof of when these players began or ended there drug use. The conclution to this issue, is that a decision has got to be made.

I have no idea if he is famous or not, but it looks like Cory Lidle, a baseballer, has met a spectacular & fiery end.

Plane crashes into NY skyscraper.

Apparently its true. He's toast, whoever he is. ;)

Nuts! And I thought I got there first..... ;)

They still don't know what went wrong with the plane. I don't think he killed himself. It was probably just very poor judgement, and the foggy skies which led to his fatal accident.

Yay Detroit! Hulluva game!

It's official. The Detroit Tigers are going to the championship series. Now... The LA Dodgers get swept.

Detroit Tigers into World Series

Detroit's first entrance into the World Series since 1984. With the way they are playing, they will definitely be the team to beat.

Knuckleballer Joe Niekro passed away a day after suffering a brain aneurysm. His 221 wins currently is 72nd all time and with his brother, who was as old as dirt when he finished his career, combined for 539 wins. He's not Hall of Fame material, but notable nonetheless.

Knuckleballer Joe Niekro passed away a day after suffering a brain aneurysm. He's not Hall of Fame material, but notable nonetheless.

Nonetheless, he got an instant Guardian obit.

There does seem no level of obscurity this turd of a paper will shake its head at & say "no, they don't get an obituary due to not being famous".

:pop:

Knuckleballer Joe Niekro passed away a day after suffering a brain aneurysm. He's not Hall of Fame material, but notable nonetheless.

Nonetheless, he got an instant Guardian obit.

There does seem no level of obscurity this turd of a paper will shake its head at & say "no, they don't get an obituary due to not being famous".

:pop:

Nice to know that there's a paper over there that'll print just about any death anywhere. Makes choosing Sadaharu Oh a more viable option.

Ten weeks until pitchers and catchers report to training camp. Tom Hicks is single handedly gutting my Texas Rangers. Blech.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Nice to know that there's a paper over there that'll print just about any death anywhere. Makes choosing Sadaharu Oh a more viable option.

How is Oh doing lately? The last article said that they removed the cancer by removing his stomach and that he was walking around, but there's been a lot of silence lately...

How is Oh doing lately? The last article said that they removed the cancer by removing his stomach and that he was walking around, but there's been a lot of silence lately...

All I really know is that he is actively managing Fukuoka and there are some quotes from him in Yahoo Asia and the Daily Yomiuri Online.

Not much else, though.

Bobby Murcer, who played for the New York Yankees, has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumour Surgery has failed to remove invasive cancerous cells, so it looks as if he's hit his last home run. I've never heard of him, but he must be quite famous considering the press interest in his illness.

This one goes out to the left hand side of the pond from someone who owns a Mets t-shirt.

Do I really have Ron Santo on too many of my deadpool lists? Or is he really ill, and quite likely to die at any time?

• Like 1