CarolAnn

Baseball

Ahem...

• Like 1

There's no crying in baseball! Or funerals!

A member of the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League that was immortalized in the 1992 film "A League of Their Own" has died. Lucille "Lou" Richards was 90.

Jon Richards tells The Associated Press that his mother died May 20 at the Cape Royal Nursing and Rehab Facility in Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. He says she died of complications from hydrocephalus.

She was a shortstop for the Racine Belles and the South Bend Blue Sox in 1945 as part of the first women's professional baseball league.

SC

http://m.southcoasttoday.com/article/20160529/NEWS/160529402/11669/NEWS

Former Brooklyn Dodgers pitcher Lee Pfund has died. He was 96.

Pfund was the father of former Los Angeles Lakers coach and Miami Heat general manager Randy Pfund. The Heat announced Lee Pfund's death on Friday.

SC

http://www.theolathenews.com/2016/06/03/3111146/former-brooklyn-dodger-lee-pfund.html

Former Major League All-Star Jim Hickman, died Saturday. He was 79 and in hospice care..

After six years in the minors Hickman, whose nickname was "Gentleman Jim," became an original member of the New York Mets in 1962.

After five seasons in New York, Hickman went to the Los Angeles Dodgers (1968), Chicago Cubs (1968-73) and St. Louis Cardinals (1974).

He was named an All-Star in 1970 when he hit .312 with 32 home runs and 100 RBIs.

In the All-Star game Hickman drove in Pete Rose in a famous play where Rose steamrolled catcher Ray Fosse at the plate.

SC

Former/current drug addict 'Doc' Gooden failed to appear for an event Thursday night, and former junkie NYMets teammate Darryl Strawberry fears for Doc's life.
SC

Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez dies in a boating accident.

Miami - associated with water.

Marlins - associated with water.

Pitcher - associated with water.

Warning signs were there.

• Like 5

Miami - associated with water.

Marlins - associated with water.

Pitcher - associated with water.

Warning signs were there.

As was rescuing his mother from drowning as they escaped Cuba. Not sure I'd have wanted to get in a boat again. Anyway here's a picture

26Marlins2-master675.jpg

See my post today in extra curricular...

Oooo, reminds me. All this water talk... I dropped Daryll Strawberry in 2013.

Time for a checkup.

I came here for one reason but now it turns into railing on YOU people. One of the great shortstops of all fahkin time Alvin Dark dies and YOU people didn't post it??!?!?? What a useless lot! Here's his Nov 13, 2014 obit, three weeks before I joined DL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/alvin-dark-baseball-player-and-manager-who-led-oakland-as-to-1974-title-dies-at-92/2014/11/13/76008438-6b62-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

Anyway, his first wife died this week. Obit says she was Southern University's very first Homecoming Queen.

http://www.johnsonfuneralhome.net/m/?p=memorial&id=1860578

You useless muthas.

SC

In the peoples defense baseball is boring

• Like 7

Not 'boring'.

On the crackly radio via the imperialist armed forces radio on 873 mw in my yoof, it was later reinvented by hippy cuntos as 'whale music'.

Huh?

*looks up from figuring odds for the League Division Series games in which her beloved Texas Rangers decided to start the Z team*

Being first with an obit is NEVER boring. In fact it's why we are all here, posting before anyone else FTW.

SC

Being first with an obit is NEVER boring. In fact it's why we are all here, posting before anyone else FTW.

SC

I must disagree Mr. Creepy. I'm not at all concerned with "posting before anyone else", only maybe picking up a useful morsel or two about an impending death. I'm sure I'm not alone.

• Like 2

SC

I must disagree Mr. Creepy. I'm not at all concerned with "posting before anyone else", only maybe picking up a useful morsel or two about an impending death. I'm sure I'm not alone

Nah, you're not. Not all of us are raging hyper competitive weirdos. :) Most of us are just weird, death obsessed whackjobs with lives. Jobs. Kids. Extra curricular activities. Dogs. Cats. Gardens. Cross country commutes. Etc.

• Like 1

I thought we were mentalists who like lists. Lover of list making, the minutiae of a hobby (rap or racing or pro-wrestling, etc), and possessing a sense of gallows humour - the hattrick for the average deadpooler, imho.

• Like 3

I thought we were mentalists who like lists. Lover of list making, the minutiae of a hobby (rap or racing or pro-wrestling, etc), and possessing a sense of gallows humour - the hattrick for the average deadpooler, imho.

Well, I'm a data analyst by trade so I do confess to a strange love of orderly columns and rows of numbers.

• Like 1

That was the most stressful game I have watched in my entire eleventy billion year career watching baseball, bar none.

SC

I must disagree Mr. Creepy. I'm not at all concerned with "posting before anyone else", only maybe picking up a useful morsel or two about an impending death. I'm sure I'm not alone

Nah, you're not. Not all of us are raging hyper competitive weirdos. :) Most of us are just weird, death obsessed whackjobs with lives. Jobs. Kids. Extra curricular activities. Dogs. Cats. Gardens. Cross country commutes. Etc.

I thought we were mental

EFA.

SC

Especially cats.