CarolAnn

Baseball

1 minute ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Hall of Fame pitcher Bruce Sutter, who played for the Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, and Atlanta Braves, died at 69 years:

https://baseballhall.org/discover/Sutter-remembered-as-pioneer-of-split-fingered-fastball

He was a six-time All Star and four-time NL Relief Man of the Year.

1983 Topps Blog: #150 Bruce Sutter - St. Louis Cardinals

• Like 3

On 02/09/2021 at 14:50, arghton said:

Three baseball greats, Sadaharu Oh (1940-), Shigeo Nagashima (1936-) and Hideki Matsui (1974-) carried the torch during the olympic opening

Shigeo Nagashima didn't look great:

baseball.thumb.png.3240160da8f1f3c8ec6effbb56fb83e5.png

Sadaharu Oh hospitalised with covid.

Dave Hillman, pitcher for Cubs, Red Sox, Reds & Mets, dead aged 95. In eight seasons, he finished with a 21-37 record.

He was the oldest surviving Reds player, and the oldest of the 1962 Mets prior to his death.

ZZZ008.1081.jpg

• Like 1

No dia 22/11/2022 às 21:47, o tempo disse:

Dave Hillman, arremessador de Cubs, Red Sox, Reds & Mets, morto aos 95 anos. Em oito temporadas, ele terminou com um recorde de 21-37.

Ele era o mais velho jogador sobrevivente dos Reds, e o mais velho dos Mets de 1962 antes de sua morte.

ZZZ008.1081.jpg

do you know who are the oldest now?

24 minutes ago, diego said:

There are 13 living players from the Mets' inaugural 1962 season. The oldest is Frank Thomas (b. 1929), who is also the oldest Milwaukee Brave and Houston Astro. He suffered a bad fall in 2021, but recovered well enough to appear at their 2022 Old Timers' Day and seemed fine. Ed Kranepool (b. 1944), the youngest player on that team, was also there.

The oldest Red is Al Worthington (b. 1929), who is also the oldest San Francisco Giant. There are also 12 living players from the Cincinnati Redlegs, of which the oldest is Bob Kelly (b. 1927). The youngest two were born in 1939 and 1940, so could be around for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tracy said:

Há 13 jogadores vivos da temporada inaugural de 1962 dos Mets. O mais velho é Frank Thomas (n. 1929), que também é o mais antigo Milwaukee Brave e Houston Astro. Ele sofreu uma queda ruim em 2021, mas se recuperou bem o suficiente para aparecer no Dia dos Veteranos de 2022 e parecia bem. Ed Kranepool (n. 1944), o jogador mais jovem daquela equipe, também estava lá.

O vermelho mais antigo é Al Worthington (n. 1929), que também é o mais antigo gigante de São Francisco. Há também 12 jogadores vivos do Cincinnati Redlegs, dos quais o mais velho é Bob Kelly (n. 1927). Os dois mais novos nasceram em 1939 e 1940, então poderiam estar por aí por um tempo.

thank you very much for the information

It would be interesting to look at the Seattle Pilots who only existed for one season (1969) before they became the Milwaukee Brewers. The last surviving Pilots player would probably be around for another 15 years at least. Fred Stanley might be a good candidate for last surviving Pilots player as he is only 75 right now.

18 hours ago, diego said:

I don't - not for any team, I was just repeating what was in the news report, but Tracy seems to have covered it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

From the Happy Birthday thread:

Gaylord Perry being reported dead: https://www.wspa.com/news/baseball-hall-of-fame-pitcher-gaylord-perry-dies-at-upstate-home/

Unfortunately, access restricted in Europe, so can't give any other info.

We've asked the question before of Dicks, but how long until we're Gaylordless? 

Not many left here. Gaylord Silly wins the best moniker prize.

• Like 2

Tom Browning - Cincinnati Reds (Baseball Card) 1990 Donruss Best NL # 27  Mint, Trading Cards - Amazon Canada

10th pitcher to pitch a perfect game to die. 13 left, and most of them are pretty young outside of Koufax. Wonder if he'll live to see the next one? Been a decade now...

• Like 2

On 19/12/2022 at 18:34, tracy said:

Tom Browning - Cincinnati Reds (cartão de beisebol) 1990 Donruss Best NL # 27 Mint, Trading Cards - Amazon Canada

10º arremessador a arremessar um jogo perfeito para morrer. Restam 13, e a maioria deles são bem jovens fora de Koufax. Será que ele viverá para ver o próximo? Já faz uma década...

Of 31 (includes coach and assistants) who participated in the Cincinatti Reds winning the 1990 World Series, he was the 3rd to die

• Like 1

Nate Colbert dead at 76. Padres Hall of Famer and has their all-time home run record (163).

image.png.43c0ccf3d6cd4080e981447b41e3146c.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bill Campbell, who pitched for a few teams and threw a no-hitter, has passed.  I’ll try to find an obit (won’t take long) and who knows, maybe a QO (will take forever) and definitely a DDP unique hit.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02pt5AfSaDoCAfe2izn3xFV5dzzHqKXAvjQGfJjEy23x6qF6y8Q6zNLeypSiXoeEGnl&id=100016048785489&mibextid=qC1gEa

B560D240-EC4C-4375-AA4F-306A5567068E.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Bill Campbell, who pitched for a few teams and threw a no-hitter, has passed.  I’ll try to find an obit (won’t take long) and who knows, maybe a QO (will take forever) and definitely a DDP unique hit.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02pt5AfSaDoCAfe2izn3xFV5dzzHqKXAvjQGfJjEy23x6qF6y8Q6zNLeypSiXoeEGnl&id=100016048785489&mibextid=qC1gEa

B560D240-EC4C-4375-AA4F-306A5567068E.jpeg

He’s definitely not, I found him as well

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

He’s definitely not, I found him as well

Well, that’s interesting.  The only mention of it was a guy on Facebook who writes about the Montreal Expos, a non-existent team (that I follow lol).  Maybe a family member said something?  
Ah well, his chances of an obit are slim, surprised a top DDPer like you chose him but that’s a good sign.  Good luck to you lol.

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Campbell's death has been covered by the Boston Globe and other US papers. Now the wait is on to see if any of these obits get picked up by Yahoo.

As a starting pitcher he threw a no-hitter, which is notable, and was an All-Star as a relief pitcher once, but he was nothing more than a decent player.  Hall of Famers can have a rough go for a QO; Campbell’s is uphill at best.  
But as Sir Creep says: The only people guaranteed not to QO are the living.

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Well, that’s interesting.  The only mention of it was a guy on Facebook who writes about the Montreal Expos, a non-existent team (that I follow lol).  Maybe a family member said something?  
Ah well, his chances of an obit are slim, surprised a top DDPer like you chose him but that’s a good sign.  Good luck to you lol.

I came very, very close to putting him in, once I saw the hospice information. But baseball has a very hit and miss coverage and I felt he wouldn't obit. His career was lengthy, but not hall of fame worthy.

I think I mentioned him in the salvage lot thread.