Saint Peter

Death List Convention

DL Con IV tomorrow...

Last call for those needing to request details of the venue...

I'll be checking my emails tonight, but maybe not in the morning.

I'm not coming, thus ensuring that the bar stays adequately stocked with wine. Have fun!

I'm not coming, thus ensuring that the bar stays adequately stocked with wine. Have fun!

We'll do our best Lardy, but it'd be more fun with you. Go well!

Reet, the Marycopter is fuelled, the servants have been chained in the dungeon of MPFC Towers and a day's revelling in the Big Smoke beckons.

Hope you all have a terrific time. I'd love to be there, but am skint.

Hope you all have a terrific time. I'd love to be there, but am skint.

ditto

:lol:

Not much posting going on today. Is everybody else at the DL CON?

I was there earlier.

Left a little surprise in an unattended bag...

(That was a joke)

I was there earlier.

Left a little surprise in an unattended bag...

(That was a joke)

I hope so. The bomb squad are also in attendance.

Just got back from DL Con IV. Nice to meet those who I met, though a pretty poor turn out. Windsor's dirty laundry may have put a few off but it did ensure that those who were there got a table.

I hope to meet a few more next time.

Just got back from DL Con IV. Nice to meet those who I met, though a pretty poor turn out. Windsor's dirty laundry may have put a few off but it did ensure that those who were there got a table.

I hope to meet a few more next time.

There never is a big turn out Time, on the occasions I've attended the average number was about 6, I wonder if holding it earlier in the year would maybe increase numbers? I hope you enjoyed yourself, the DL'ers are a good bunch of people and great fun to be around, I wish I could have been there but I couldn't afford to travel down this year. On previous occasions I booked my train tickets more than 2 months in advance and got them fairly cheaply, this time that wasn't feasible and Network Rail would have charged me over £200 to attend, much as I like my fellow DL'ers there is no way I can afford to spend £200 on travel for an afternoon in the pub! On the plus side it's worked out well for me, one of my online friends is on holiday in Scotland, she's visiting the far north and I am in the far south so we didn't think we would be able to meet but she messaged me last night and phoned today, she'll be in Edinburgh on Monday and we've arranged to meet up there for a few drinks on Monday afternoon, I wouldn't have had this chance if I'd been in London, it's a bit like the DL Con feeling when you finally put a face to a name, it should be fun and I'm really looking forward to it, oh and the bus journey to Edinburgh and back will only cost me £11 :lol: .

I braved the big city yesterday. After 2 hours on a packed train I had to force my way through the abominable maze that is the 'Tube', fight my way through masses of seemingly blind shoppers and was very close to giving up and running back to the safety of my little town, when I was saved by the wonderful Rotten Ali! Phew! RA is shockingly thorough in his research and put me to shame with my ' just picking people I don't like ' method ( probably why I've never won any deadpool competitions ), and he's a super sweet man too. I will cherish my fabulous DL Con IV pen, and am having a glass cabinet custom made for my super competition prize. :lol:

I had a lovely time with the few DL legends I was lucky to meet and could rave on about how funny MPFC is with his fabulous anecdotes, or how sweet and intelligent NAP is, or how organised RA is, or how I only met Time for a short time (!) as I had to leave early... Anyway, I won't go on. I'm sorry more people weren't able to come along and I'm looking forward to the next meeting.

May I propose that it isn't held in London next year? I really didn't like London. I really, especially didn't like the Tube. I also met a horrible bus driver on my way back to Paddington, but that's a story for another day.

Thanks RA for arranging the event, and thanks to those who were there for being there!

:)

It was indeed a pleasure to meet your good self Six and Time, for the first time, and a shame the turnout was smaller this year. Though in a stunning break from tradition there was intense and very useful debate on potential dead pool picks for next year......somewhat letting the side down there I feel. I mean, this might get serious in future!

Once again thanks to RA for the efforts, good pub tucker and rather too much beer, but that's not a bad thing once in a while. Still survived my fun run in my santa suit this morning and stumbled home in the top five places which amazed me.

Go well one and all.

Well done to everyone who came. Particularly to the lovely Six who deserves a medal for her bravery and to Ali for his tireless organisation of the whole thing.

It was nice to meet Time for the first time and to see Rotten Ali and Mary again. Much was discussed and moderate amounts of beer were consumed. Sadly I didn't take notes so I won't be winning any deadpools next year either.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen for an excellent time in stimulating company. Perhaps next year more people will be able to attend.

Re the above comments - Thanks very much but I'll take issue with the notion that I'm organised - heaven forbid, and that I'm "super sweet" - that's just way too kind.

So, looked like the rescession bit us yesterday! Turn-out of five fine proud people. (shouldn't really include myself in that category, but what the heck, got to make up the numbers somehow.) We missed more than a few "regulars" - but I still think we had a fair session (don't think I lost count after the eigth pint). Very big welcome to our two new attendees of Time & Six. Very pleased to have you attend and get a good chance to meet you.

NAP - what can we say - yet again, for the forth time of asking, jetting in from Germany. Highest level of deadication. Wise head on broad shoulders.

Maryportfuncity - for a third year you brought us excesses of hillarity, murth & good humour. I don't think a DL Con would be half the event if it went off without you about.

Now for our new lady member... Six. May I say we need good upstanding fun people like you in our fine nation. Quite brave of you to be making you first solo visit to London village and hope that your trials and tribulation on route don't scar you for life!

Time - Time - Time. Jolly nice bloke. Glad to have you on board. Hope you had a good time.

Now, as I was eluding on exiting the curry house, when saying my cheerio to NAP & Time, I think with a minimal turnout such as yesterday that the whole event idea now needs a re-think.

Now I'll hold my hand up to not putting out a round of personal gold encrusted emails that well convey the dire need for such a gathering. Really poor marketing... but in all essence the rest the readers of this forum, to give them their dues don't really need that. Do they? So I'll start by asking if this needs to be a yearly event. If we switched to a bi-annual format that may give the event time to build better momentum. Or find a happy house in doing an event every 18 months or so?. LG said in the past that she would care to do a summer event. How about staging an event duing the summer of 2012? (somewhere other than London). And then maybe fix a run of those every two years, or return to the traditional pub idea in 2013.

At least something needs to be done differently!

New bigger plans invited (does the event need a special guest to interest a thronging crowd?)

Do we want to have media attention? Did we need to have had Ronnie Biggs turn up with a reporter from the Sun?

New ideas invited. (I'll start you with this... how about we all do a holiday to the Algarve holiday resort where Maddie disapeared at, followed by a visit to the golf tournament Clive Dunn attends)

New organisers invited.

Over to you...

As an aside... On my walk back to the train station I came upon a scene of destruction. Met Police and crash investigators in the process of clearing up a real mess of a traffic accident. Nissan MPV took-out a motorbiker and a traffic light at a junction. I asked Mr Plod if the biker survived, to which he said "She did."

PS

I never did fill you in about the Convention prize competion - Six won it - prize was a customized mug - with "RED" written big all round it. That was her answer - the question was half originally set by six herself - in that she asked "how will I know you in the pub" and I wrote I'll wear a colourful shirt of your choice - the options you lot could see in the thread being "the shirt colours I had too hand." All you had to do (without knowing the question) was pick out the colour she had made. No one did - so she won!

Now that I'm fully awake and sober (not that I was that pissed last night), I'd like to reiterate what an enjoyable afternoon it was (though I wish I'd arrived a little earlier - no sooner had I arrived that Six had to leave, but a nice impression was made nonetheless).

I remarked to NAP and RA that people don't actually turn out as you expect based on forum interaction - they're actually a lot nicer in the flesh. Very good company and hopefully we'll all meet again, hopefully with a few more (no criticism intended of those that couldn't make it. I'm lucky in that I live fairly 'local' to London with good(ish) travel connections.)

Thanks to RA for getting it all together - though how you found the time with all the research you must do is beyond me!!

Thanks also to Six, MPFC and NAP for the convivial company.

Hey, glad you all had a good time! I spent the afternoon buying vouchers for Christmas presents (I'm so imaginative) and having an eye test in Tesco's.

And RA, you should big yourself up more - you ARE super organised AND super sweet!

So I'll start by asking if this needs to be a yearly event. If we switched to a bi-annual format that may give the event time to build better momentum. Or find a happy house in doing an event every 18 months or so?. LG said in the past that she would care to do a summer event. How about staging an event duing the summer of 2012? (somewhere other than London). And then maybe fix a run of those every two years, or return to the traditional pub idea in 2013.

At least something needs to be done differently!

New bigger plans invited (does the event need a special guest to interest a thronging crowd?)

Do we want to have media attention? Did we need to have had Ronnie Biggs turn up with a reporter from the Sun?

New ideas invited. (I'll start you with this... how about we all do a holiday to the Algarve holiday resort where Maddie disapeared at, followed by a visit to the golf tournament Clive Dunn attends)

New organisers invited.

Over to you...

I'd be happy to meet up again next year. I'd be equally happy to meet up in the summer of 2012.

The only thing... no, two things, that could have made the event better from my point of view would have been:

1- Having the event in a hotel. (So I could have booked a room and therefore not worried about getting all the way home on my own, therefore being able to freely drink the gin & tonics I so love in the knowledge that I'd only have to crawl to my room at the end of the evening. I was drinking bitter shandy yesterday. No fun in that. )

2- Having more members there. ( I would have loved to meet HCW, Josco, Alphonsin, MH and many more, plus the famous DL women. It was great having a cosy meeting and having NAP's cute puppy-dog eyes all to myself, but I think a big get-together of all the DL greats would be amazing. )

Lastly, as you were told by LB, you are a great person for taking on the organisation and you deserve the praise you get. All raise your glasses ( mine's got lots of gin and a little tonic in ) for the fabulous Rotten Ali... cheers.

Well, me and Honez (Honez & I?) had our own DLcon last week. Shame it didn't last much beyond 2 pints of Guinness. I enjoyed our conversations, albeit interupted by the pool players I have the misfortune to captain. Hope you get back home safely and your feet stay dry.

Well, me and Honez (Honez & I?) had our own DLcon last week. Shame it didn't last much beyond 2 pints of Guinness. I enjoyed our conversations, albeit interupted by the pool players I have the misfortune to captain. Hope you get back home safely and your feet stay dry.

I've made it back from the old dart, jet lagged and cramped from far too long spent in far too small a space.

I now understand why they don't allow sharp objects on board those flights, as four of my fellow international jet-setters would have alighted with makeshift metal shunts draining their vitreous humour if I'd had things my way.

It was good to catch up with you HCW, albeit a few pints short of the requisite amount. Pappa Honez owes me big time >:-/

Depending on how things pan out, I might be back for a return trip next year. Maybe. At least then I might get some time for the finer things in life (like Guinness and a Desperate-Dan-style pile of chips and snags, for example. LOL.) rather than wasting it gallivanting around visiting relatives and the like.

Cheers

h

My first is in Maidstone, but not in Carlisle.

My second's in wedding and also in aisle.

My third is in orca, but isn't in whale.

My fourth is in Parkhurst, but isn't in jail.

My fifth is in poems and also in prose.

My sixth in is Banshee, but isn't in cloth(e)s.

My seventh's in Welshman, but not in Handrejka.

My eighth is in Shaquille, but not in the Lakers.

My ninth is in naughty and also detention.

My last's not in deathlist, but (of course) in convention.

7pm this Saturday.

Just checked and there are a few tickets left for 7-00 tonight, shame mind, cos according to today's Guardian the world might end an hour before that.

Still struggling with the above, might all now be revealed, or summat?

Still struggling with the above, might all now be revealed, or summat?

For the millions of you that have been unable to work, sleep or even think for the last month...

As it happens, thanks to an unnamed member's inability to grasp the complexities of booking an aeroplane flight we didn't end up there and went to a more local (for me anyway) hostelry instead. Apologies to any brainboxes that showed up.