Saint Peter

Death List Convention

Perhaps it's time to talk a different subject: places to stay. As I understand it from a quick look on the web, Amsterdam is a bit dear, as me mum would say.

If you're fine with the simplest in a dorm, you'll pay EUR 30 / night. I have never stayed in a hotel in Amsterdam, therefore little advice. I can try and find some of that from friends.

It'll pay to have a look well in advance. Amsterdam is full of tourists in early August. If the weather's nice many Dutch will want to down a pint of binge there, and need a room afterward.

regards,

Hein

Perhaps it's time to talk a different subject: places to stay. As I understand it from a quick look on the web, Amsterdam is a bit dear, as me mum would say.

If you're fine with the simplest in a dorm, you'll pay EUR 30 / night. I have never stayed in a hotel in Amsterdam, therefore little advice. I can try and find some of that from friends.

It'll pay to have a look well in advance. Amsterdam is full of tourists in early August. If the weather's nice many Dutch will want to down a pint of binge there, and need a room afterward.

regards,

Hein

The somewhere to stay side of things worries me immensely. My apologies for not posting in the last week regarding attending, I had some health and family issues that are now resolved. I have looked into flights and now I know my health is good I am ready to book them. My plan is to fly out from Edinburgh on the Friday and fly back in again on the Monday - there is no point in me flying back on the Sunday as the buses to my little part of the world on that day are useless and I could end up stuck in Edinburgh, better to be in Amsterdam even if I am on my own I think. The Scots part of me also thinks if I am paying £200 for the flights I am making damn sure I get a Sunday afternoon touristy session!

I do not want to stay in a dorm, I've done that been there and am far too old for that crap now. I just want a nice simple room where I have a bed I can crawl into at night. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Potential roll call time: MH, RA, LG, HMBAWA, Welsh, TM (aka NAP). Any more fares, please?

I'm hopeful. Depends on work.

Potential roll call time: MH, RA, LG, HMBAWA, Welsh, TM (aka NAP). Any more fares, please?

You forgot Six. She's the reason this continental meet started as she will be on holiday in Amsterdam that weekend and will most definitely be attending!

This may give an indication of what we're talking about: my first hit on a search:

fr to mo, Basic Single Room - Shared facilities: € 156 tourist tax not included. I fucked up the search form, so I can't find it back, but a better search might turn up something cheaper.

regards,

Hein

This thread has been slipping down the index of late.

Time to ramp it up again folks...

Flight ticket booked and paid for...

Confirmed and on my way to DL CON V...

Landing Amsterdam 09:05 Friday 10th August from East Mids.

Jetting back circa 18:05, Sunday evening.

Just £73 all in.

My BMI baby Flight has been cancelled today due to the take over by British Airways and their new cut backs.

Thanks very much!

P.S. Can't wait for a new airline to take up the slack from EMA (flyBe are starting some flights to Amsterdam but not until sometime in September) now re-booked with KLM for £99 out of Birmingham.

This thread has been slipping down the index of late.

Time to ramp it up again folks...

Flight ticket booked and paid for...

Confirmed and on my way to DL CON V...

Landing Amsterdam 09:05 Friday 10th August from East Mids.

Jetting back circa 18:05, Sunday evening.

Just £73 all in.

My BMI baby Flight has been cancelled today due to the take over by British Airways and their new cut backs.

Thanks very much!

P.S. Can't wait for a new airline to take up the slack from EMA (flyBe are starting some flights to Amsterdam but not until sometime in September) now re-booked with KLM for £99 out of Birmingham.

Sorry to hear that RA but happy to hear you have managed to get another flight and what a great price. I am a newbie to booking flights online and I don't want to make any mistakes so my flight bookings will (hopefully) be made this week during office lunch time with the help of my line manager/friend who has spent many years working abroad and knows the industry inside out. I am ruling out Edinburgh as a place to fly from, flights at the moment from there are sitting at £230 - £250, it's right in the middle of Edinburgh Festival time and I just can't afford that amount of money for a 'day out'. My line manager suggested flying from Newcastle, looks like I can get from there to Amsterdam and back for about £140/£150.

Can I just say DL Con VI better be in Scotland. If this works out I will have spent a lot of time, and money, travelling about to get to them and it's about time you lot all came up here. We don't all wear kilts and some of the natives are actually quite civilised, anyway food for thought.............

I'll have to put up, shut up, and admit that a combination of work duties and family stuff have left me out of the running for this get together. Shame and all of that, but I wish you well and will definitely make another DL Con sometime.

I got my flights booked, flying KLM from Newcastle. I arrive in Amsterdam at 3.45 p.m. on Friday 10th August and leave at 12.25 p.m. on Monday 13th. It only cost me £119 :) .

I got my flights booked, flying KLM from Newcastle. I arrive in Amsterdam at 3.45 p.m. on Friday 10th August and leave at 12.25 p.m. on Monday 13th. It only cost me £119 :) .

And I'll be on the plane landing 5 minutes after yours, see you in the passport check area...

And I'll be on the plane landing 5 minutes after yours, see you in the passport check area...

Really? That's fantastic RA, great to know I will be arriving in a strange city and also meeting up with a friend a few minutes later.

This may give an indication of what we're talking about: my first hit on a search:

fr to mo, Basic Single Room - Shared facilities: € 156 tourist tax not included. I fucked up the search form, so I can't find it back, but a better search might turn up something cheaper.

regards,

Hein

There is a huge variation on prices starting from about £29 a night if you are happy to stay in a dormitory with strangers. Shared facilities in a basic hotel start from just under £40 a night, if you are prepared to stay in the suburbs there are some great deals.

I booked my hotel this afternoon and paid a bit more as I wanted to stay in the city centre and have my own bathroom. I got a hotel 350 yards from the main train station for just over £70 a night including breakfast. I booked through my local travel agent rather than online, she spent about an hour with me going through all the possibilities and, having visited Amsterdam herself on a few occasions, she had some great advice.The hotel I ended up with is one that she has stayed in and she recommended it. I was very glad I did it that way as, when I came home and looked it up online, the cheapest price for my room through tripadvisor.co.uk was £89. There is a 5% tourist tax to pay on all hotel rooms, for me it only works out at an extra £11.

I am relieved to have my travel arrangements and accommodation sorted out, now I am just waiting for my passport to arrive.

regards,

Hein

There is a huge variation on prices starting from about £29 a night if you are happy to stay in a dormitory with strangers. Shared facilities in a basic hotel start from just under £40 a night, if you are prepared to stay in the suburbs there are some great deals.

I booked my hotel this afternoon and paid a bit more as I wanted to stay in the city centre and have my own bathroom. I got a hotel 350 yards from the main train station for just over £70 a night including breakfast. I booked through my local travel agent rather than online, she spent about an hour with me going through all the possibilities and, having visited Amsterdam herself on a few occasions, she had some great advice.The hotel I ended up with is one that she has stayed in and she recommended it. I was very glad I did it that way as, when I came home and looked it up online, the cheapest price for my room through tripadvisor.co.uk was £89. There is a 5% tourist tax to pay on all hotel rooms, for me it only works out at an extra £11.

I am relieved to have my travel arrangements and accommodation sorted out, now I am just waiting for my passport to arrive.

It took her an hour to end up recommending a hotel she already knew for a smallish slice of £70?

regards,

Hein

It took her an hour to end up recommending a hotel she already knew for a smallish slice of £70?

Not quite, she had recommended 3 hotels for me that she had stayed in when I went in, the one I ended up with being the cheapest, but I wanted to explore all options. I am a very indecisive person when it comes to shopping for anything except food (I hate shopping with a passion) and need to see all possibilities and normally end up back where I started buying the first thing I looked at, hence I do most of my shopping online it saves me having to trawl through stores and throngs of people while I am getting more and more annoyed. I hope that makes sense, I know what I mean anyway.

Remember to post piccies on facebook.

Absolutely not. DL Con photos are only available for viewing to those that attend. You may see some shots of Amsterdam but you will not see DL'ers in my Facebook photos, I didn't take my camera to the first one I attended in 2008 but I did take it to the one I attended in 2009. The photos I have of the DL Con in 2009 have never been published on Facebook (or anywhere else online) and never will. If you want to see what goes on you will have to attend ;-)

Absolutely not. DL Con photos are only available for viewing to those that attend. You may see some shots of Amsterdam but you will not see DL'ers in my Facebook photos, I didn't take my camera to the first one I attended in 2008 but I did take it to the one I attended in 2009. The photos I have of the DL Con in 2009 have never been published on Facebook (or anywhere else online) and never will. If you want to see what goes on you will have to attend ;-)

I don't see why not. All our photo's are on the 'special' page.

I don't see why not. All our photo's are on the 'special' page.

I think the way Facebook works now is if I publish to our private page they will also appear on my news feed and are then viewable by all of my friends. If this is not the case and members that are featured in the photos agree to them being published on our page then I will do so.

Facebook changes their boundaries all of the time and I am very aware of that. I have my own privacy settings set so no-one can see my wall, my photos or my info. I can't be found on Google either. When Timeline came in it reset a lot of things, I diligently went through it and privatised everything again. I was asked to provide a 'cover photo', I did and played around with different photos, one of which was a photo of myself and all of my family taken last summer, it never occurred to me to check the settings but I discovered recently that cover photos can never be private, it was completely open to the public and had been for months. Safe to say I deleted it and now my cover photo is only a close up of my wee ginger thug-dog investigating snow, no photos of myself, friends or family and no landmarks around to identify where I live. As I say, I am now very careful about sharing things like DL photos online unless I have full permission.

Bunch of shits, aren't they? When I'm on face ache, I go onto the 'htpps' at the start of the www thingy (Technophobe speak).

Bunch of shits, aren't they? When I'm on face ache, I go onto the 'htpps' at the start of the www thingy (Technophobe speak).

That's a bit of a con PB, it just means while you are online certain apps and advertisers can't access your page, it doesn't change that you are still visible to the public unless you have chosen to privatise your settings. Simple to do click 'Home' on your FB page and 'Privacy Settings' then it is a case of working your way through the menus and sub menus restricting and giving permissions.

and yes, they are a bunch of shits, no good bastards etc but as I live in the middle of nowhere it is one of the few places I can go to to connect with friends on a day to day basis and pick up on their news and photos without having to chat to them by phone - anyone that knows me is aware I rarely answer my phone and use it only as a necessity.

Now have my accommodation booked. So now quite well prepared.

Must sort out some suitable "gifts" for attendees...

"bijou little place" - you promised 5 star luxury. Not coming now.