Saint Peter

Death List Convention

For my part I loved the vegetarian meal catastopy, that's one, I hope, that will stay long in my memory. And for those who were not there. We poled up to the suggested place. (I was expecting pizza) And the message filltered back up the throng ( Sure LG said "sorry but it's only vegetarian!") "in for a penny though" we all bought into the idea. But ordering was more like a monty python sketch. Drinks order was problematic. They even had no lemonade. Time goes "I'll have the goat's cheese..." The Answer came back. "We are all out of that". Time scans the menu further, I said, "I would like the lasagna..." To which he said "I think that's the last one". Unhappily Harry said "I was thinking of having that!". Then we had another answer to a later order "I think we have one of those but I could make some more..."

Like that's his job! - make food, to order, off his own darn menu... But it was nice... So nice Mrs.Rotten wants me to sleep in the spare bed tonight because she reckons I still reak of garlic...

Still the canal boat ride was really a good idea (was that yours Harry?). Glad we did that. Plus Friday nights meal was really nice.

Inserting photo here... But not just yet 'cus I've yet to download my snaps.

Good conversation made up for my inability to enbibe because of being on antibiotics but at least I had more wits about me not to get run over by a tram or push bike due to not being hammered.

Class act LG. Totally off your trolley and still able to walk over cobbled streets and storm drain gaps in stiletto healed high boots. And not to be fleased by a Pakistani shop owner when buying a packet of fags.

Time was very eager to take lots of photos. Hope they were all good ones. And as for your beer orders mate, I think you got the best of them. Hope the knock you took on your shin navigating a missplaced step was not painful beyond the day.

Welshman, I think you had the best ring site seat to view that street fight. Like LG said, "nice that for the fifth time there was yet again someone new coming along to the Con', and an Admin to boot."

Ditto Hein, what can I say, top bloke, fine host and thanks very much for the toffee waffles and salt liquorice (accurired taste in the round). Wonderful weekend, thanks.

And...

As for next year...

How about doing a long weekend block booking on an old converted Scottish castle / fortified keep / hotel thing?

Castle Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh?

• Like 2

jealous jealous jealous mumble complain jealous jealous bitch

Class act LG. Totally off your trolley and still able to walk over cobbled streets and storm drain gaps in stiletto healed high boots.

Oh my, that brings back memories of my first visit to Amsterdam ..... no one warned me .... all my lovely shoes were ruined, the heels skinned on the cobbles. No wonder they wear clogs :evil2:

Class act LG. Totally off your trolley and still able to walk over cobbled streets and storm drain gaps in stiletto healed high boots.

Oh my, that brings back memories of my first visit to Amsterdam ..... no one warned me .... all my lovely shoes were ruined, the heels skinned on the cobbles. No wonder they wear clogs :evil2:

Only the heels skinned? Well If you came back from Hamsterdam without your knees and elbows skinned, Id suggest you didnt have a very good time at all!!!!

Wasn't bothered about the knees and elbows, they're self repairing, but the shoes were irretrievable :o

Wasn't bothered about the knees and elbows, they're self repairing, but the shoes were irretrievable :o

Ouch! My boots are off to the cobblers to be reheeled but no major damage done. I live in a town that is cursed by cobbles so I am now quite used to them, doesn't mean I don't hate them though. I did arrive home this evening with aching feet and had to pour myself into a nice hot bath, I was literally hobbling all day today as transferred from train to plane to bus, flat boots on but my feet hadn't quite recovered!

I think Rotten Ali has posted a very good recap of the weekend, it was indeed a great time and an experience, we enjoyed ourselves and we certainly made the most of it. The vegetarian restaurant will stick in my memory for a long, long time as will the canal trip - especially RA nipping off to the station to buy us some much needed lemonade, closely followed by 'arry who nipped off to buy us some much needed beer! My Glaswegian side came to the fore there, we didn't know if the tour operators would let us on with booze, so the cans of beer were hidden in my spacious handbag - took me back to my youth when I used my bag many times to smuggle booze into rock concerts, at nearly 45 years old I still make sure I carry a big bag.

I have to say that I think this has been the best DL Con I have attended, totally relaxed and fun. We saw the sights, ate good food, drank a hell of a lot of beer and made the most of our time in Holland, the whisky slammers on Saturday night still had me wobbling a bit the next day!

Scotland for the next one seems popular, I am happy to arrange that, but personally I have no interest in Fort William FC but will go with the flow.

That was a top weekend!

I did take lots of photos and most turned out ok.My shin looked (and still looks) a lot worse than it felt. No long-term damage.

To Sunday...

The remaining conventioers met at the usual cafe, at the usual time and at the usual table, where yours truly started with a cup of coffee to get the system up and running. This was but a temporary interruption to the usual business of consuming lots of alcohol.

After a brief interruption to get LG some sun-lotion, (maybe I should have used some after all) it was off to the Bols experience. That was a lot better than I'd anticipated, thanks largely to the drinks included in the price of admission. As an added bonus, we got away with a free tram-ride there.

Then off to brouwerij't IJ; as posted at the time, beautiful weather, excellent beer and great company. Click here to see what you missed (yes Ali, they do sell lemonade).

After sampling most of their available range, it was time for some food. Sadly, this did not go as planned as the restaurant Hein had chosen was closed for the owners holidays.We did find a more than adequate alternative in an Italian just a short walk away.

Then there was more beer.

You will no doubt be pleased to hear I found my way back to my hotel that night without the need for assistance from the local homeless fraternity.

So there ended the convention.

It was great to meet a few more Deathlisters - Lady Grendel, Welshman, HMBWA and Magere Hein - and meet Rotten Ali again. Unfortunate that various circumstances kept away some others but hopefully, we can all meet up for deep-fried Mars bars next time.

In closing, a great big 'thank you' to Hein for all the work he did in making it such a success.I know I wouldn't have done half as well had I tried to do something similar over here.

Good job Hein for the organising and officiating, good job to the rest for the getting there.

On Eurostar, why does one have to go through passport control just once, but three times on the return journey?

http://www.holiday-r...k/p421858#rates

By my reckoning that's about £60 a night per room. Nice get away from it all...

Could even have a go at a murder mystery game...

Accommodation Type:

• self-catering

Location Type:

• rural

Theme:

• luxury

Sorry Ali, at least 2 of these three are mutually exclusive.

Nice idea but I feel it's unworkable. You would need us all to commit to staying for a full weekend, for many that is not an option - work commitments for those that work 9-5 often mean that only a couple of nights at the weekend are what can be spared and travelling back on a Sunday is a must, I think welshman and 'arry took last Friday as a holiday from their respective workplaces to get to Amsterdam, time works unsociable hours as a pub manager and wasn't able to come on Friday as he was working and that was why he arrived on Saturday. Then you will get into who pays what and those staying 3 nights suddenly discover they are paying a lot more. I am not dismissing it out of hand, but I am not sure it is workable.

I think first we have to set a place in Scotland and I know this is going to cause an awful lot of debate. Being a Glaswegian I would prefer the west or central, but it isn't my choice, Edinburgh is expensive and the north takes longer to get to if you are only coming up overnight and I do feel that rules out Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.

Worst comes to the worst, my ma does a really good breakfast down here in Kelso, I can put 2 DL'ers up and there's a B&B round the corner :lol:

Nice idea but I feel it's unworkable. You would need us all to commit to staying for a full weekend, for many that is not an option - work commitments for those that work 9-5 often mean that only a couple of nights at the weekend are what can be spared and travelling back on a Sunday is a must, I think welshman and 'arry took last Friday as a holiday from their respective workplaces to get to Amsterdam, time works unsociable hours as a pub manager and wasn't able to come on Friday as he was working and that was why he arrived on Saturday. Then you will get into who pays what and those staying 3 nights suddenly discover they are paying a lot more. I am not dismissing it out of hand, but I am not sure it is workable.

I think first we have to set a place in Scotland and I know this is going to cause an awful lot of debate. Being a Glaswegian I would prefer the west or central, but it isn't my choice, Edinburgh is expensive and the north takes longer to get to if you are only coming up overnight and I do feel that rules out Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.

Worst comes to the worst, my ma does a really good breakfast down here in Kelso, I can put 2 DL'ers up and there's a B&B round the corner :lol:

To take over an entire town I might even be convinced to fly over. :) Then again, the airfare alone pays for most of a semester's tuition......

Someday I am going to be independently wealthy,

You have one DL Con in Amsterdam, then a couple of weeks later...

World War II bomb detonated at Schiphol

then, mere hours after that

Hijack drama at Schiphol

Glad I wasn't flying back today!

Yes, quite some excitement in a time of year nothing much happens. It's mostly the general elections of 12 September that's in the media now, althoug there's little news there.

regards,

Hein

I rang the PM's office, they told me he knew nothing about it.

That's f***in' public school tories for you!

I rang the PM's office, they told me he knew nothing about it.

That's f***in' public school tories for you!

You should have left me a message ;)

Micro con today. Me 'arry and several pints of Kent's finest. Shame about the 8 mile cycle home...

shame you couldn't have made it a wee bit further North.

Up 'til last year I stayed on a wee Isle, myself and the Warden were the only folk resident,which used to be a staging point for the Clearances. Stupid prices ie £25 a night for no matter how many folk involved as it was a MillHouse and could take 20+

No pub but no other folk/light/noise etc etc

Up 'til last year I stayed on a wee Isle, myself and the Warden were the only folk resident,which used to be a staging point for the Clearances. Stupid prices ie £25 a night for no matter how many folk involved as it was a MillHouse and could take 20+

Scotland is hot favourite for DL Con VI. Why the fuck the DL seems to attract so many jocks, fuck knows. Let's hope David and Scott (and their mutual imaginary girlfriend nurse Jill) can make it.

Scotland is hot favourite for DL Con VI. Why the fuck the DL seems to attract so many jocks, fuck knows. Let's hope David and Scott (and their mutual imaginary girlfriend nurse Jill) can make it.

So many Jocks? 'Cos we invented the 'lament'....... We are the lost souls.......

I'm not sure why the jock count is so high but welcome it. Grew up about ten miles short of being Scots, and Hogmany etc was big business round our way. Then again, it all went sour a few years ago when a Scots pipe band took part in Aspatria carnival and suffered racial abuse. Given that you can stand on the north side of Aspatria and watch the land sweep down to the Solway with clear views of Scotland beyond...that's narrow-minded to the point of gleefully moronic.

I'm not sure why the jock count is so high but welcome it. Grew up about ten miles short of being Scots, and Hogmany etc was big business round our way. Then again, it all went sour a few years ago when a Scots pipe band took part in Aspatria carnival and suffered racial abuse. Given that you can stand on the north side of Aspatria and watch the land sweep down to the Solway with clear views of Scotland beyond...that's narrow-minded to the point of gleefully moronic.

Sadly that seems to be the norm these days mpfc, fed by a media that enjoy portraying us Scots as hating the English. I have said this before, this is not the case, yes it happens in a minority, but it isn't the view of the majority.

I would agree with charon in his post, we really are the 'lost souls' and we perfected the lament long ago, we have a history of losing in battle as a nation and continue to do this to this day in football.

Damn, posted before I finished, anyway, the meet up in Canterbury is a 'mini-con'. Not a full on DL Con VI, it came about because I am going to be on holiday in the area and others who live there thought it might be nice to meet up for a pint. Can I add I am bringing 2 friends along, neither are DL'ers

Sadly that seems to be the norm these days mpfc, fed by a media that enjoy portraying us Scots as hating the English. I have said this before, this is not the case, yes it happens in a minority, but it isn't the view of the majority.

I would agree with charon in his post, we really are the 'lost souls' and we perfected the lament long ago, we have a history of losing in battle as a nation and continue to do this to this day in football.

Damn, posted before I finished, anyway, the meet up in Canterbury is a 'mini-con'. Not a full on DL Con VI, it came about because I am going to be on holiday in the area and others who live there thought it might be nice to meet up for a pint. Can I add I am bringing 2 friends along, neither are DL'ers

Who decides if it is a "full on DL con" or not?