Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Guest iain

wikipedia is never wrong!

*Apologies if already mentioned*

German U-boat ace Erich Topp died on boxing day aged 91......

Can somebody enlighten me as to what makes you ace as a u-boater ?. Is it the number of other boats you sink or even the ability to steer straight underwater ?.

wikipedia is never wrong!

I can only hope you meant that sarcastically..... :ph34r:

Sure enough, it's yet another Wikipedia fake. Apologies, everyone. After all I say about trusting Wikipedia, I kinda of shoot myself in the foot & look stupid :( but it has done two good things - one proved, once again, to Iain to stop worshipping everything Wikipedia says as gosepl & two, reminded me that King Michael is still alive, so he goes on my DDP possibles list.

Also, I spent a while sorting out some Band of Brothers bio info on Wikipedia, backed up with SSDI & Memorial information & some plonker has chosen to believe what a TV show says over the real thing.

Wikipedia, it's a crock of S**t.

*Apologies if already mentioned*

German U-boat ace Erich Topp died on boxing day aged 91......

Can somebody enlighten me as to what makes you ace as a u-boater ?. Is it the number of other boats you sink or even the ability to steer straight underwater ?.

I'm pretty sure it's tonnage sank, but you might want to check out Uboat.net to be certain, since I'm no expert.

The Telegraph obtuaries page surpassed itself this morning with a fine obit on Derek Reid, former chief mushroom expert at Kew who would have been a gem for any dead pool. Unfortunately the obit does not include the splendid accompanying photograph.

It must be left to your imagination then after reading this extract:

"Derek Reid always had a sense of fun, but during his early career he was shy, studious and bald. His forties, however, coincided with the permissive Seventies, and he celebrated with the adoption of a luxuriant wig, a collection of 200 dazzling ties and an exuberant manner to match. His marriage did not survive this transformation."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...1/28/db2801.xml

I think I met this guy at a Liverpool Museum. He asked my friend and I if we were interested in mushrooms(there was a mushroom exhibition and he was trying to get us to subscribe to some mushroom magazine), we were students so you might imagine our answer

An obit that mentions Tits & Bingo - what a funghi!!

"Derek Reid always had a sense of fun, but during his early career he was shy, studious and bald. His forties, however, coincided with the permissive Seventies, and he celebrated with the adoption of a luxuriant wig, a collection of 200 dazzling ties and an exuberant manner to match. His marriage did not survive this transformation."

Maybe he took his love of certain mushrooms too far?

Peter Ladefoged

... OK, he's pretty obscure, but I did have to study his books at Uni.

As the article states, he also had a part to play in the success of "My Fair Lady", so something of a claim to fame there.

Guest iain

this may explain the false reporting of the death of King Michael of Romania at the weekend..there was obvioously a mix up with this guy

True... but that's like getting Prince Charles and Prince Edward mixed up. ;) Wikipedia does have such tremendous power that contributors just have to be so careful.. and post sources. It's all I ask in life.

Such a sad loss, I remember Henry McGee appearing on stage with the Honey Monster during the interval at the panto Aladin that starred Cilla Black.

Guest iain
Henry McGee, best known as Benny Hill's stooge, has died aged 77 according to the PA wires, and now the BBC.

Now that is a shame. ;)

i'll always remember him as the Honey Monsters stooge on all those Sugar Puffs adverts!

Course she is. In fact, arguably, worldwide, maybe more so. I think it's Iain being a teaser again so that you see Ludovic Kennedy dead & not the Mrs. :crossbone:

Fine dancer, good actress, decent journalist. :lol:

Henry McGee, best known as Benny Hill's stooge, has died aged 77 according to the PA wires, and now the BBC.

Very sad to hear that one :crossbone:

Course she is. In fact, arguably, worldwide, maybe more so. I think it's Iain being a teaser again so that you see Ludovic Kennedy dead & not the Mrs. 

Fine dancer, good actress, decent journalist. 

Ludo's in my top 50 list, maybe he'll die of a broken heart?

Maybe not!

Guest Guest_pod

Moira Shearer died today. Of ballerina fame :pop:

Former Arizona govenor, Sam Goddard

Sam Goddard

actress Moira Shearer ,wife of Ludovic Kennedy has died at 80

Does that mean Ludo is on his way out too? Spouses often die within a short space of time (this is discussed on another thread somewhere)