Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

British film director Michael Anderson is dead .He directed 'the dam Busters' among other films

Iain,

I think you'll find it hasn't been confirmed yet. Hence the citation needed on the list of deaths in 2006 page

fair enough..anyway blues musician Sam Myers is dead at 70

and the evangelist Ted Stone has dropped (stone) dead at 72

Oh that is sad....the Sam Myers part at least....no idea who the Stone person is. Myers is becoming part of the last vestiges of the true blues generation and yet another who was with the great Howlin' Wolf...I guess the title of his final album sort of indicated that.

Iian I like you about as much as the next person...

So your not too keen on him either?

No worries, he only has 5 days left here due to his Michael Foot prediction...

Is anybody? Oh I already said that <_<

I predict he will dig up a fake death notice on Foot even if he has to submit it to the local papers himself...

Is anybody? Oh I already said that <_<

I predict he will dig up a fake death notice on Foot even if he has to submit it to the local papers himself...

Whereas most of us treat this site as a bit of light-hearted fun, with an element of competitiveness thrown in, Iain seems to be bordering on (or possibly beyond) the obsessive with his eagerness to post deaths, and the apparent celebratory nature of some of his posts. One imagines he probably keeps a box of tissues by his PC in readiness for some post-post self merriment! Do we have a psychiatrist amongst us that could offer him some advice?

I do not believe for one minute that our dear Iain will quit our merry band after the deadline he has set for the demise of Plymouth Argyle's nonagenarian striker.

British film director Michael Anderson is dead.

top Khmer Raouge terrorist Ta Mok is in a coma with only days to live

UNconfirmed reports say that the leader of Hezbollah Hassan Nasrallah may have been killed in an Israeli air strike

Iain, in the last week, you've posted two non-deaths & a fake* death in the "Near Misses" Thread. Is it really asking too much for you to slow down & find a link to prove they've died?

*Michael Anderson was another Wiki fake. He is still very much alive, as, for that matter, are the other two....

British film director Michael Anderson is dead .

No. He is still alive.

Guest iain

No. He is still alive.

his death has not yet been confirmed,thats true.However it is not entirely clear as yet whetehr he is dead or alive.I am looking into it.I will give you my definitive conclusion in a couple of days

80 pages of near misses for 2006 eh, and only in July. How long did it take to whittle them down to just the 50? :D

Or does near misses mean 'too famous for the 'not exactly famous' thread but not included on the DL, whether we had ever discussed picking them for it or not'?

Seriously though I'm not trying to stir, I'm trying to avoid the thing if I ever post on one of these threads, and the subsequent abuse that repeat offenders (one springs to mind :lol: ) get.

No. He is still alive.

his death has not yet been confirmed,thats true.However it is not entirely clear as yet whetehr he is dead or alive.I am looking into it.I will give you my definitive conclusion in a couple of days

your conclusion? so if you decide he's dead, but he's really alive?

Personally I'd wait till it's been announced on BBC, Reuters, CNN etc

In other words, you're going to wait to see if someone will put him back on the Wikipedia Recent Deaths Page. If they do, you'll "confirm" it. If not, you'll forget all about it.

Save yourself looking. I've checked everywhere - Notices in The Times, broadsheet obits, blogs etc. - there is nothing to say he is dead at all....

Jimmy Leadbetter the famous footballer ,is dead

Iain,

This was already announced in the "Not really famous.." thread as far as I'm aware, Leadbetter wasn't discussed as a possibility for 2006

I've heard that Peter Hawkins has died, but so far can only find a wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hawkins

Yeah, treble drat! I was thinking of having him in my DDP, along with someone else who's name escapes me for the moment...

I've heard that Peter Hawkins has died, but so far can only find a wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hawkins

Yeah, treble drat! I was thinking of having him in my DDP, along with someone else who's name escapes me for the moment...

Put me out of my misery, themaninblack. Who's that on your avatar?

80 pages of near misses for 2006 eh, and only in July. How long did it take to whittle them down to just the 50? :D

Or does near misses mean 'too famous for the 'not exactly famous' thread but not included on the DL, whether we had ever discussed picking them for it or not'?

Seriously though I'm not trying to stir, I'm trying to avoid the thing if I ever post on one of these threads, and the subsequent abuse that repeat offenders (one springs to mind :D ) get.

Ah, one of my favourite forum topics. I've always interpreted the thread title "near misses" to mean it's a place for listing people who died that the DL Committee actually discussed but failed to include on the current year's list, and/or for people that DL members suggested on the site but the Committee failed to select. I would estimate over 90% of the names listed on the preceding pages were people no one even remotely considered for this year's list, but as TLC noted it has become a bit of a toxic waste dump for listing every single person whose death is posted on the likes of wikipedia.

Aye well, if more than a select (and principally absentee) few knew who the Committee had discussed, we'd maybe have a wee bit more chance of hitting the nail on the head once in a while.

How about if the minutes of the AGM were to get published sometime early in the new year?

sorry, those privileged discussions are state secrets, for certain people's eyes only, a matter of national security, etc. Plus most of said discussions can barely be remembered by the participants the next day.

What we should do is keep "Ideas and Possibilites for 2007" as an active thread throughout next year. That way people can go back and reference it then say "aha - just as I (or someone else) thought!". Because there's nothing more satisfying than being able to tell someone "I told you so", and back it up with actual evidence. It becomes tiresome whenever we're criticised for missing a death no one predicted.

sorry, those privileged discussions are state secrets, for certain people's eyes only, a matter of national security, etc. Plus most of said discussions can barely be remembered by the participants the next day.

What we should do is keep "Ideas and Possibilites for 2007" as an active thread throughout next year. That way people can go back and reference it then say "aha - just as I (or someone else) thought!". Because there's nothing more satisfying than being able to tell someone "I told you so", and back it up with actual evidence. It becomes tiresome whenever we're criticised for missing a death no one predicted.

But isn't it still there for anyone who can be bothered to find it? Unpinned, and probably locked (No, I can't be bothered!) but still there to be referenced.

So there's nothing preventing people saying 'I told you so' apart from laziness, or ignorance. Hey ho.

But isn't it still there for anyone who can be bothered to find it? Unpinned, and probably locked (No, I can't be bothered!) but still there to be referenced.

So there's nothing preventing people saying 'I told you so' apart from laziness, or ignorance. Hey ho.

Or.. I'm not volunteering to do it, as someone is discussed they are added to a list at the front of the thread in alphabetical order. That way at a quick glance someone can see if they were discussed but left off the final list

Lung Cancer Man campaigned for ages to get NHS to prescribe a drug and then died hours after winning in court.

Life's hard, then you die, eh?

deja vu - is your empathy with iain turning you (ulp) into him?

I'm a bit sceptical about the possibility of having any success in re-educating the electorate to use this thread in the way you suggest.

How about just renaming this one to reflect its actual content? If we did as you say, not only would the Ideas and possibilities thread have to be pinned, but there'd have to be another pinned thread for the ones who weren't suggested but could have been.

Imagine trying to train iain to post iin the right place!

Status Quo, sez I.

ok, I got as far as post #21 on the "ideas and possibilities for 2007" thread before I had to do some work

Here is the list of those that have been suggested so far. If someone wants to copy the list and work through some more of it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Those discussed in the "ideas and possibilities for 2007" thread

Richard Baker

Rosanne Barr

Earl Butz

Dick Clark

Ramsey Clark, former U.S. attorney general and defense attorney for Saddam Hussein (b. 1926)

Robbie Coltrane

Rauf Denktash

W. Mark Felt, aka Deep Throat (b. 1913)

Betty Ford – Former First Lady of the US

John Goodman

Stephen Hawking, theoretical physicist (b. 1942)

Hugh Hefner

Edmund Hillary

Lady Bird Johnson – Former first lady of the US

Kenneth Kendall

Christopher Lee

Stan Lee

Lindsay Lohan

George McGovern, former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate (b. 1922)

Ian McKellen

Denis Norden

Richard O Sullivan

Nancy Reagan, former U.S. first lady (b. 1921)

Bruno Sammartino

Ariel Sharon

Malietoa Tanumafili II, the King of Samoa

Justin Timberlake

Bert Weedon

Scott Weiland

Gene Wilder

Boris Yeltsin, former Russian president (b. 1931)

How about just renaming this one to reflect its actual content? If we did as you say, not only would the Ideas and possibilities thread have to be pinned, but there'd have to be another pinned thread for the ones who weren't suggested but could have been.

Imagine trying to train iain to post iin the right place!

Status Quo, sez I.

I agree; one thread for 'not exactly famous', one for 'famous but not on the DL this year' but with catchier names.

[light bulb]

Perhaps if at the start of a year a list is pinned as a locked thread (like the DL 50) with all of the suggestions that didn't quite make it but were seriously considered by 'those who decide'?

Also, maybe another thread open for a week or so before the 50 is put up purely for fellow DL'ers to post names they want on the list, therefore giving people bragging rights (and proof of such rights) if their picks were ignored but turn out correct? It also prevents people pretending they suggested them at a later date, and is a handy reference when posting in the all-encompassing famous deaths thread, if any back-slapping is in order.

I know that's two extra threads, but one would essentially be one post & then locked immediately.

The other would be open for a short time, with anything other than pure wish lists deleted or moved immediately, and then locked. Discussions of lists can always be held in ideas and possibilities as they do now.[/light bulb]

I can't say I thought too long about the above so there may be a fatal flaw somewhere in my thought processes, but it seems relatively quick and easy to me. But then I don't have to run things so I suppose it would.