Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

But seriously, there IS a notable death:

Maria Capovilla, the oldest person in the world, has died, aged 116. Lizzie Bolden is now the oldest.

link

I'll try & find a news item on it.

If it's true and if formalities are met, I finally got my third hit in HDP. And my fourth in DDP. Huzza!

regards,

Hein

Maria Capovilla, the oldest person in the world, has died, aged 116. Lizzie Bolden is now the oldest.

link

What, again?

It's a perpetual game of cat and mouse with those two.

link

What, again?

It's a perpetual game of cat and mouse with those two.

I doubt de Capovilla will return in a hurry to try and regain her title :P

Naguib Mahfouz, Nobel-Prize winning writer, has died, aged 94, after a while of being in poor-health. Link from BBC

2nd Nobel Prize winner to die in a day... (so for all of youse who believe in threes & Nobel Prize winners & have Pinter on their lists.....) <_<

Naguib Mahfouz, Nobel-Prize winning writer, has died, aged 94, after a while of being in poor-health. Link from BBC

2nd Nobel Prize winner to die in a day... (so for all of youse who believe in threes & Nobel Prize winners & have Pinter on their lists.....) <_<

Who's the other one?

2nd Nobel Prize winner to die in a day... (so for all of youse who believe in threes & Nobel Prize winners & have Pinter on their lists.....) :)

Pinter is my joker, so I can start believing. ;)

I will also accept Charles H. Townes or Willis Lamb. :P

Charlie Williams

Well known comedian from the 70s has died aged 78. He had Parkinson's and dementia, poor chap - did anybody have him in their DL radar?

"the first black comedian to make the big time on British TV"

"voted Doncaster Rovers' all-time cult hero by viewers of the BBC's Football Focus programme"

Charlie Williams

Well known comedian from the 70s has died aged 78. He had Parkinson's and dementia, poor chap - did anybody have him in their DL radar?

Yep, I knew he had both Parkinsons & dementia, probably a legacy from his footballing days. Having said that, largely as he was under 80, he wasn't as high in my list as I thought when I checked - 88th.

Shame. Didn't think much of him as a comic, but he was a nice chap & to have Parkinsons & Alzheimers together is no way for anyone to live their last days out, especially not a happy chap as himself.

Nice obit in tomorrow's Times. Upstaged, though, by Ron Hedley, head of the Natural History Museum, of whom I couldn't find any mention of on the forum, but however. Kalman A Burnim, theatre historian, also gets a column.

Too late......... CarolAnn beat you to it in the correct thread. (not famous enough....)

And would you believe that I actually double checked to see if anybody posted a related link? Was looking through the wrong thread. <_<

Sorry if you've got this already. Did a search and it didn't show up though.

Giacinto Facchetti (footballer and president of Inter Milan), b 1942, died today, aged 62, of cancer.

Just realised this should have gone with near misses -- perhaps somebody can merge it?

Did a search and didn't see it so here goes.....

Gyorgy Faludy the well known Hungarian poet and 1956 Hungarian uprising resistance figure as died at the tender age of 95 or 96 (seems to be some dispute on the age)

Voice of America listing

Canadian listing on Faludy

Did a search and didn't see it so here goes.....

Gyorgy Faludy the well known Hungarian poet and 1956 Hungarian uprising resistance figure as died at the tender age of 95 or 96 (seems to be some dispute on the age)

Voice of America listing

Canadian listing on Faludy

This reminds me of a comment I've read about Henrik Ibsen: he wrote drama in Norwegian. That didn't help, his plays were translated.

regards,

Hein

The great Swedish-American soprano Astrid Varnay has died at the age of 88.

She is undoubtedly most famous for her performances as Brunnhilde and Isolde, particularly at the Bayreuth festival during the 1950s and 1960s, and for her friendly rivalry with the Birgit Nilsson, who died on Christmas day last year.

Edited by Magere Hein

The great Swedish-American soprano Astrid Varnay has died at the age of 88.

She is undoubtedly most famous for her performances as Brunnhilde and Isolde, particularly at the Bayreuth festival during the 1950s and 1960s, and for her friendly rivalry with the Birgit Nilsson, who died on Christmas day last year.

The link didn't work. Here is a more reliable (?) one - well, Wiki anyway!

Thanks for letting me know, VSB.

I spotted this on Wikipedia yesterday, together with a dodgy German citation, but decided to wait until it was reported in a reputable publication that I could actually read. "The Gramophone" is reputable enough for me. Astrid Varnay dies

Guest Dan

I Think You Guys Missed A Certain Aussie Croc Wrestler