Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

British Film & TV star Peter Barkworth has died, aged 77. Obit

Not one of my secret candidates, but a fine actor who appeared in bucketloads of film & TV shows in the UK down the years. :)

1000076997.gif

Not one of my secret candidates, but a fine actor who appeared in bucketloads of film & TV shows in the UK down the years. :)

1000076997.gif

Bugger. They only showed a Tom Stoppard play with him in it a week or so ago on BBC Four!

Also played Clent in Dr Who story 'The Ice Warriors'...

Sometimes its a question of luck when you come across a candidate, such as Kenneth Griffith...

....they're dropping like flies!

Still, if a drummer in a band from the late 70s (and weren't even punk!) can get

a BBC obit, anyone can.

I'm going to do a OoO and scour the net for potential DDP candidates - he's got a few

up hid sleeve...

The Guardian have got Sandy West's dob as 7/10/59, they interpreted this as the 7th of October, but it of course should be the 10th of July.

Typical Guardian. :)

Not one of my secret candidates, but a fine actor who appeared in bucketloads of film & TV shows in the UK down the years. :D

1000076997.gif

Sad to hear of this chap's demise. Very solid and dependable actor. I saw him on stage once, though the particular play he was in escapes my memory. It was around the same time as he was starring in "Telford's Change" on TV. It may have been a fine play, but I'm embarrassed to admit my overriding memory of it is that Stephanie Beacham got her baps out.

Update: Just found the following: "1979 (Dec): CAN YOU HEAR ME AT THE BACK? - Brian Clark (Piccadilly) Peter Barkworth, Hannah Gordon, Stephanie Beacham, Michael Maloney, Edward Hardwicke; dir:Barry Davis" - sounds about right. As I suspected, written by the same guy (Clark) and starring 3 of the same thesps (Barkworth, Gordon & Maloney) who appeared in "Telford's Change"

Former heavyweight champion of the World, Trevor Berbick has been murdered.

He was the last man to fight (and beat) Muhammad Ali, and lost his heavyweight crown to a very young Mike Tyson.

Also went to jail for rape, and theft.

He was also quoted as saying "Legally, I’m a spirit,” he once said. “I have no age.”.

Well, sunshine, you're right about that now.

I remember the Tyson/Berbick fight very well. Especially the commentator's remark - "he's stumbling around like a kid in a playpen!"

See the knockout here (sorry, it's in black and white).

Tyson/Berbick whole fight in colour. The knockout comes just before the seven minute mark, i.e. Berbick survived until the later stages of the second round.

Tyson/Berbick whole fight in colour. The knockout comes just before the seven minute mark, i.e. Berbick survived until the later stages of the second round.

Seven minutes? He did better than most against Tyson....

BTW Berbick was the last man to fight Ali, so a footnote in Boxing history is assured..

Not only Franklyn today. Apparently, Nigel Kneale (Quatermass writer etc.) died 2 days ago.

http://www.hammerfilms.com/features/tribut...gel_kneale.html

Can you substantiate your claim that Nigel Kneale has died?If its true it is devastating news for all fans of science fiction.I am shocked by this

How shocking is it that someone dies at the age of 84? I ask solely for information.....

Can you substantiate your claim that Nigel Kneale has died?If its true it is devastating news for all fans of science fiction.I am shocked by this

He has. See the link. I can't recall you providing too many authorative links in the past.

I'm sure most sci-fi fans will get over it. He was old, overweight and ill. Sad as it is, I'm not shocked.

former south african president pw botha has died

Hardly a near miss, sh*t for brains....

Hardly a near miss, sh*t for brains....

..or possibly for BRiainS?

Why can't we have just one DL death where someone doesn't post it on Near Misses?

Not only Franklyn today. Apparently, Nigel Kneale (Quatermass writer etc.) died 2 days ago.

http://www.hammerfilms.com/features/tribut...gel_kneale.html

How shocking is it that someone dies at the age of 84? I ask solely for information.....

We would have heard about this on the news surely?

Its on Wikipedia....

The Godfather of British TV Sci-Fi!

Quatermass, 1984 (adaptation), Year of the Sex Olympics, The Stone Tape....

Nigel Kneale RIP.... :crossbone:

Its on Wikipedia....

'Course it's on Wikipedia. I put it there :crossbone:

Its on Wikipedia....

'Course it's on Wikipedia. I put it there :D

Sheesh!

So apart from some manky Hammer Horror site, we still don't know if he's passed on?

Wait for the BBC.... :crossbone:

Its on Wikipedia....

'Course it's on Wikipedia. I put it there :)

Sheesh!

So apart from some manky Hammer Horror site, we still don't know if he's passed on?

Wait for the BBC.... B)

Here you go (hopefully we can trust "The Independent"):

Nigel Kneale, creator of cult TV figure Quatermass, dies aged 84

Wait for the BBC.... B)

(Robert Dougall voice) "Here is the news from the BBC": Link

Her Majesty the Queen has withdrawn from allpublic events due to undisclosed 'serious illness'. Government sources refuse to comment on rumours tonight

Not a near miss though as she is most probably not dead. In fact that report says "The Queen strained a muscle while holidaying at Balmoral during the summer," not really a serious illness etheir. And, not to go on, but have govenment sources been asked?

American Pulitzer Prize writer, William Styron has died at age 81.

BBC obit