Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

Tony and Grammy Award winning R&B's singer Ruth Brown

dead aged 78.

Strangely enough I had Ruth Brown pencilled in quite far down my list after hearing her song "(Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean" on Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. He featured her song on the 2nd show for which the theme was, mothers.

I started to do the list to try and work out which ones of the artists he was playing were still alive.

Unfortunately the list I had was lost when my bag was stolen a few months ago.

There were a couple of others that I was going to do more research on, such as Merle Haggard and George Jones.

I know George Jones was a heavy drinker and in fact that caused the break up of his marriage with Tammy Wynette, but I've no idea what state he's in at the moment or if he's kicked the habit.

Daughter of Romanian former dictator Nicolae Ceausescu dies of cancer

The Associated Press

BUCHAREST, Romania: Zoia Ceausescu, daughter of former communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu died Tuesday of cancer, her brother Valentin said. She was 56.

Zoia was recently involved in a legal battle to get her parents' remains exhumed and tested for DNA to ensure that authorities are telling the truth about the burial site of Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu, who were executed during a popular revolt in 1989. The government has said the couple was buried at the Ghencea Cemetery in western Bucharest, but Zoia claimed that there was no paperwork to prove it.

A local court ruled against her request last year, but she appealed.

Former Prime Minister Petre Roman, who led Romania 1990-1991, said he was Zoia's friend in the 1970s and that she was unhappy about the harsh living conditions for ordinary Romanians.

"It was not easy to be the daughter of a dictator and of a mother like Elena Ceausescu," Roman told state news agency Rompres. "Children should not be blamed for their parents' deeds."

Zoia, a mathematician, was arrested in December 1989 alongside her husband Mircea Oprean and her brother Valentin and charged with undermining the national economy. They were released eight months later.

Her youngest brother, Nicu, a Communist Party official, was charged with genocide in the deaths of 89 people in the central city of Sibiu. He served three years of a 20-year prison sentence before he was released in November 1993 on health grounds. Nicu died in 1996.

Zoia's body will be cremated on Wednesday, Rompres said. She is survived by her husband and her brother.

There were a couple of others that I was going to do more research on, such as Merle Haggard and George Jones.

I know George Jones was a heavy drinker and in fact that caused the break up of his marriage with Tammy Wynette, but I've no idea what state he's in at the moment or if he's kicked the habit.

Sober, happy and touring at 75, according to the Seattle Times.

Anita O'day, dead at 87.

Didn't see her mentioned anywhere, but I'm using my own judgment and putting her as a near miss.

What!!!!!!!!!! Meat Loafs mum?

Anita O'day, dead at 87.

Didn't see her mentioned anywhere, but I'm using my own judgment and putting her as a near miss.

What!!!!!!!!!! Meat Loafs mum?

Close, but he's Marvin Lee Aday.

Not a Meat Loaf fan, but definitely a RHPS fan.

Anita O'day, dead at 87.

Anitanotherday?

After a search, it looks like this one missed everyone - the bestselling novellist Colin Forbes (real name Raymond Sawkins) has died - back in August!! Times Obit. Apparently, the news broke in September, but I didn't notice it - surely I can't be the only one to have heard of him - his books are everywhere...

Friench actor Philippe Noiret dies at 76. Possibly best known from La grande bouffe.

Great actor, and was on my shortlist for 2007.

The fact that he's got quite a prominent mention on the BBC entertainment page gives me hope that a few more on my shortlist will get UK obits...

:(

Friench actor Philippe Noiret dies at 76. Possibly best known from La grande bouffe.

regards,

Hein

A superb actor.....first viewed a movie with him in it many deceased and somewhat decadent decades ago at the movie thearter up on Broadway around some street north of Lincoln Center which may have become Tower Records or something else. The movie was in French and set in France in a French city with French characters and French actors (Victor French was not in it) and it had subtitles which probably helped since Mumsy never did learn me French even though she was nearly fluent in it herself as was Grandmama...

The movie was enjoyable and for a time I thought of moving to France and living there if I moved there but alas I never moved there as I could not master the intricacies of the French language so I have only memoreies of that film and other Noiret films which I have enjoyed over the years, As I recall that movie was in French and had another actor also in it who was named Phillippe which in an odd coincidence was once my nephews name before he changed it to Russell.

Oh and the film Coupe de Torchon and the other with Michel Serrault Pile ou Face are my two top Noiret movies.

Bon appetite Phillippe....(I heard there's a huge buffet table in the up yonder)

Betty Comden lyricist is DEAD. She was 89

.Songwriter Betty Comden dies at 89

NEW YORK, Nov. 23 (UPI) -- Betty Comden, who collaborated with Adolph Green on some of America's most popular Broadway and movie musicals, died at 89 in New York Thursday.

The cause was heart failure, her lawyer Ronald Konecky told The New York Times.

Comden's six-decade collaboration with Green, which ended with Green's death in 2002, produced such classic Broadway and movie musicals as "Singing' in the Rain," "On the Town" and "The Will Rogers Follies."

Comden was born Elizabeth Cohen Green on May 3, 1917, in Brooklyn. She studied drama at New York University and graduated in 1938.

She first partnered with Green and a young performer named Judy Tuvin -- who later changed her name to Judy Holliday -- in a trio called The Revuers, performing music and comedy in Greenwich Village. Collaborating with Leonard Bernstein, they had their first Broadway success in 1944 with "On the Town."

Comden and Green went on to write "Peter Pan" and "Bells Are Ringing," and the screenplays for "Singin' in the Rain" and "The Band Wagon."

They were nominated for 12 Tony Awards, winning seven times for such shows as "Wonderful Town," "Hallelujah, Baby!" and "The Will Rogers Follies."

They received Kennedy Center Honors in 1991, and were twice nominated for the Academy Award -- for their screenplays for "The Band Wagon" and "It's Always Fair Weather."

Del.icio.us | Digg it | RSS

E-MAIL | PRINT | SAVE | LICENSE

© Copyright 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

United Press International, UPI, the UPI logo, and other trademarks and service marks, are registered or unregistered trademarks of United Press International, Inc. in the United States and in other countries.

The fact that he's got quite a prominent mention on the BBC entertainment page gives me hope that a few more on my shortlist will get UK obits...

I've only ever seen him in Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino. He was a fine actor in both of those

I've only ever seen him in Cinema Paradiso and Il Postino. He was a fine actor in both of those

Cinemaa Paradiso was garbage; even Noiret himself thought it was one of his biggest mistakes as far as choices of roles he had been in.

I found Cinema Paradiso to be incredibly overrated. Both Noiret and Jacques Perrin were charming but overall I was left feeling 'so what'.

Agreed Coup De Torchon is a great film, and Noiret's death is a huge loss to French cinema.

Former England cricketer Graham Roope died yesterday aged 60. From what I recall, they always picked him as a squad player for overseas tours because he was good to have around, and usually made at least a 'promising' 30 when actually picked. Plus he played for Surrey, which always helps.

Alan Freeman has died at the age of 79

Not the Fluff meister,

NO, damn it to hell another DDP candidate slips through the net.

I even dropped him from my list this year in the hope of including him next year.

Oh well, that's the 9th one I had ready for next year to die in the past 6 weeks.

who were the eight others? Sounds like being on your 2007 short list is worse for one's health than a visit from Jessica Fletcher out of Murder she Hoped Wrote

Alan Freeman has died at the age of 79

Not the Fluff meister,

NO, damn it to hell another DDP candidate slips through the net.

I even dropped him from my list this year in the hope of including him next year.

Oh well, that's the 9th one I had ready for next year to die in the past 6 weeks.

who were the eight others? Sounds like being on your 2007 short list is worse for one's health than a visit from Jessica Fletcher out of Murder she Hoped Wrote

Puskas, Sandy West, Freddy Fender, Si Simmons and Ross Davidson were some of the others. I forget who the other 3 were as my list is at home.

I did put Angela Lansbury on my list one year just out of wishful thinking :shoot:

Surprised we've not mentioned this one (yes I have done a search and nothing came up) - Kevin McClory, best known for the Bond Thunderball/Never Say Never Again rights spat, has died.

Surprised we've not mentioned this one (yes I have done a search and nothing came up) - Kevin McClory, best known for the Bond Thunderball/Never Say Never Again rights spat, has died.

Oh fiddlesticks! I was reading about him in Wikipedia only the other week and thinking that he could be a candidate... :P

I wonder if that might clear up the 'Thunderball' controversy?