Tuber Mirum

Near misses 2006

I'm a little bit out of touch - did anyone report the death of TalkSport host Mike Dicken in a car accident yesterday?

DWB :P

I'm a little bit out of touch - did anyone report the death of TalkSport host Mike Dicken in a car accident yesterday?

DWB :P

BBC report here. I remember Mike Dickin from LBC Radio in 1980.

DWB :huh:

BBC report here. I remember Mike Dickin from LBC Radio in 1980.

Can´t say I´m too remorseful...self-righteous tosspot. I´ll bet any money he was a pro-car petrolhead!

Can´t say I´m too remorseful...self-righteous tosspot. I´ll bet any money he was a pro-car petrolhead!

You win the bet, MIB. Mike Dickin used to be a racing driver in club events in the 1970's.......

Turkmenistan presient Niyazov has gone has just died

Should get a guardian obit just because of his sheer lunacy

Link is from Yahoo, so take it at face value

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061221/wl_nm/turkmenistan_dc

Here is his obit from the BBC

Guest Guest
Turkmenistan presient Niyazov has gone has just died

Should get a guardian obit just because of his sheer lunacy

Link is from Yahoo, so take it at face value

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061221/wl_nm/turkmenistan_dc

One notes this qute from the Russian foreign minister re death of Turkmen president : 'Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has called for power in Turkmenistan to be transferred "in the framework of the law" to ensure stability in the region.

We hope that a new leadership will act to benefit co-operation with Russia and to benefit the region as a whole," he said

also :'A mostly Halibut nation, Turkmenistan boasts the world's fifth largest natural gas reserves as well as substantial oil resources. '

putting 2 and 2 together,I wonder if Mr Nazayov ate any food with an unusualy high radiation dsage recently... ;)

Saparmurat Niyazov who, as self styled "President-For-Life" of Turkmenistan, (one of the ex-Soviet Union republics which retained a communist form of government after the collapse of the Soviet Union), was the subject of a personality cult much in the same style as Kim Jung II's Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea (DPRK), has died at 66. Did anyone have this monster on their lists? ;)

100px-Saparmurat_Niyazov_9may2005.jpg

Russia Concerned After Death of Turkmenistan's Strongman

By Sergei Blagov

CNSNews.com Correspondent

December 21, 2006

Moscow (CNSNews.com) - The unexpected death of Turkmenistan "president-for-life" Saparmurat Niyazov sparked concerns here Thursday about political stability and the security of energy supplies.

The reclusive Central Asian nation - which boasts the world's fourth largest natural gas reserves - lies in a region that has witnessed a tussle for influence between Russia, China and the West.

The eccentric leader who called himself Turkmenbashi (Father of all Turkmens) died early Thursday at the age of 66, reportedly of heart failure.

Although he underwent heart bypass surgery in 1997, Niyazov's demise came as a surprise to the country. Turkmen armed forces were placed on high alert, authorities closed the country's borders and some Turkmen consulates abroad were reported to have stopped issuing entry visas.

"The people of Turkmenistan ... will remain committed to the political course of Saparmurat Turkmenbashi," the government said in a statement.

Deputy Prime Minister Gurbanguly Berdymukhammedov has been appointed acting president, and the supreme representative body, the People's Council, is expected to meet for an emergency session on Dec. 26 to decide on a new leadership election.

Among possible successors - apart from the now acting president - is a general who heads the presidential security service.

Opposition figures complained that Berdymukhammedov's appointment was unconstitutional, saying that until the People's Council meeting, only the speaker of the parliament could be acting head of the republic.

Opposition activist Nurmukhammed Khanamov urged supporters to unite "to prevent anarchy and confrontation." Exiled Turkmen opposition leaders were also reported to be in negotiations about the country's future.

Turkmenistan is a one-party state that was dominated by Niyazov, head of the Turkmen Communist Party since 1985 and populist president since its independence from the disintegrating Soviet Union in October 1990.

In 2002, Niyazov ordered that the months of the year and days of the week be renamed. January became Turkmenbashi, in his honor. April is called Kurban Saltan Eje, after Niyazov's mother. October is the month of independence, while December is the month of neutrality.

He authored a "holy" book called Rukhnama - which official Turkmen media placed on a par with the Bible or Koran - and he ordered golden statues of himself to be built.

In a tradition apparently borrowed from the North Koreans, Turkmen officials wear pins bearing Turkmenbashi's profile - golden pins for cabinet members, silver for deputy ministers and aluminum for bureaucrats.

The regime was widely seen as among the world's most repressive - a "bastion of tyranny" in the view of Human Rights Watch.

Turkmenistan's potential instability could have far-reaching security repercussions. Following the Soviet Union's collapse in 1991, the country retained large stockpiles of Soviet-era military hardware, including 300 jet fighters, 600 tanks and 1,500 armored vehicles.

Developments in Turkmenistan are being closely watched in Russia, which views the Central Asian republics as an ongoing sphere of influence.

"We hope for a legitimate transfer of power and that continuity in our relations," Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Thursday.

Any political instability and social unrest following Niyazov's demise could disrupt Turkmen gas supplies to Russia, estimated at 41 billion cubic meters this year.

Turkmenistan's gas reserves are important to Moscow, because the Russian natural gas monopoly Gazprom is looking for sources to compensate for shortages created by its export commitments to Europe.

Gazprom has an agreement to buy gas from Turkmenistan until 2009, at a fixed price of $100 per 1,000 cubic meters - less than half the price it then charges for the gas it sells to European markets.

Long dependent on Russian gas pipelines, Turkmenistan has been looking for alternatives, and last April Niyazov signed a deal with Beijing involving sales of gas to China and the commissioning of a Turkmenistan-China pipeline by 2009.

Niyazov also hoped to build a pipeline through Afghanistan to Pakistan, although the project remained on paper due to Afghanistan's volatility.

With many powers interested in Turkmenistan's hydrocarbon riches, the country could become a playground for diverse conflicting interests, analysts predict.

;)

[Topics merged and somwhat smaller picture used -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

The death of Niyazov not only takes out one of my DDP team before the starter has even raised his flag, but also leaves the world bereft of a total lunatic.

He renamed the month of January after himself, April after his mother, May after his father and September after his book, the Rukhnama!

Rukhnama

In March 2006 Niyazov was recorded as saying that he had interceded with Allah to ensure that any student who reads the book three times would automatically get into paradise. An enormous mechanical replica of the book is located in the capital; every night at 8:00PM it opens and passages are recited with accompanying video.

Now that's pure class. I wonder if that mechanical book will find it's way on to Ebay? It would look nice in my drawing room.

The death of Niyazov not only takes out one of my DDP team before the starter has even raised his flag, but also leaves the world bereft of a total lunatic.

Indeed, a great shame, they don't make dictators like that anymore. ;)

Nizayov, Bokassa, Amin, Jong Il .. all taken so young.... :);)

Guest Guest

wikipedia is reporting the death of Irish comedian Jimmy Cricket .I cannot find any info to verify th is however.Anyone able to back it up?

wikipedia is reporting the death of Irish comedian Jimmy Cricket .I cannot find any info to verify th is however.Anyone able to back it up?

His career has been dead for quite a while.

Iain,

sh*t off.

His web site is reporting that he recently attended Frank Carson's 80th birthday bash. Also in attendance were Roy Walker, Bobby Ball, Eddie Large. Did no-one have any of that polonium-210 stuff handy?

http://www.jimmycricket.co.uk/JCNew/default.htm

Guest Guest

wikipedia is no longerreporting the death of Jimmy Cricket-I assume therefore thi sis another wiki hoax.I am getting a bit teed off about it frankly :banghead:

wikipedia is no longerreporting the death of Jimmy Cricket-I assume therefore thi sis another wiki hoax.I am getting a bit teed off about it frankly :banghead:

Iain, f**k off.

Jimmy Cricket's wiki page was last amended on the 4th October 2006.

In other words, you've made it up & posted it here as a "laugh", then blame it on Wikipedia. Not big, not clever, unless you're 6 years of age. :angry:<_<

and stop hiding as "guest". We all know it's you.

Iain, f**k off.

In other words, you've made it up & posted it here as a "laugh", then blame it on Wikipedia. Not big, not clever, unless you're 6 years of age. :angry:<_<

I believe our resident idiot was referring to Wiki's recent deaths page;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...;oldid=95912550

Jimmy Cricket's death was added by someone with a Minnesota IP, now whom here lives in Minnesota...

Iain, f**k off.

I believe our resident idiot was referring to Wiki's recent deaths page;

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...;oldid=95912550

Jimmy Cricket's death was added by someone with a Minnesota IP, now whom here lives in Minnesota...

I live in Minnesota, but it certainly wasn't me that amended Wikipedia

A personal near miss, this one.

Last week I entered my DDP team and Wilma Dykeman was one of my entries. Despite being seriously ill and taken to a hospice, I had hopes she would at least make it to 2007, and then we'd see about an obit.

But not so, Wilma Dykeman dies

:P This is all so annoying.

It will be interesting to see if she does get a UK obit, actually.

He renamed the month of January after himself, April after his mother, May after his father and September after his book, the Rukhnama!

Rukhnama

In March 2006 Niyazov was recorded as saying that he had interceded with Allah to ensure that any student who reads the book three times would automatically get into paradise. An enormous mechanical replica of the book is located in the capital; every night at 8:00PM it opens and passages are recited with accompanying video.

Now that's pure class. I wonder if that mechanical book will find it's way on to Ebay? It would look nice in my drawing room.

I doubt it. Word from the government there is they are going to preserve the lunatics communist regime. :lol:

He's British! :lol: