Death Watch Beatle

The Trumptonshire Trilogy

I tried introducing my eldest son to the wonders of Chigley this morning, and it got me thinking about the 3 blokes who made it happen - Gordon Murray was the driving force with Bob Bura and John Hardwick, his stop-motion animators. News on Gordon Murray seems a little thin on the ground, other than the articles about him burning all the puppets and scenery one day. John Hardwick has died but did get an obituary in The Times Online and I can find very little on Bob Bura. They may all be dead for all I know. Does anyone know any better?

DWB :rolleyes:

Nope, but I'd suggest inflicting the immortal 'Trumpton Riots' from the first Half Man, Half Biscuit on the young 'un. Absolute classic.

Gordon Murray and Bob Bura are still alive

Trumpton wiki page with links to some sites fit to satisfy the obsessives. I'll be honest, I got a bit scared and stopped surfing, couldn't see much up to date health info on yer brace of oldsters though.

F**k, this dates me. I'm a member of the Andy Pandy/ Rag, Tag and Bobtail/Bill&Ben/Woodentops generation. By the time Trumpton came on the scene I had discovered Airfix, girls and pissing competitions. Have to confess I preferred to "locate and cement lugs on binacle to fuselage" than a quick snog in the bike sheds.

Trumpton wiki page with links to some sites fit to satisfy the obsessives. I'll be honest, I got a bit scared and stopped surfing, couldn't see much up to date health info on yer brace of oldsters though.

Lovely. Looking at this has given me a warm nostalgic glow. My favourite was always Windy Miller, although I did always hope he'd be killed by the windmill sail.

I'm sure back in the rave days when sampling was the new toy on the block someone sampled the sound of Windy Miller's windmill and used it as a backing track for a record. Can't remember who, title of the track or even how well it did.

Anyone know more?

I'm sure back in the rave days when sampling was the new toy on the block someone sampled the sound of Windy Miller's windmill and used it as a backing track for a record. Can't remember who, title of the track or even how well it did.

Anyone know more?

Trip to Trumpton.

In a similar vein, I remember a styling from around the late 80s called "The Trumpton Rap" by a band called "The Herbs" (?). This contained the lines:

"I said Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb.

They came out of the fire station

And were on their way to the pub

Get down!"

... I think :P

The backing track was based on "Rapper's Delight" by "The Sugar Hill Gang" (which was itself, of course, lifted from "Good Times" by "Chic")

If anyone can find that one, I'd be very impressed

... talking of which

Michael Bond, creator of "The Herbs" (and, of course, "Paddington") is now 80.

He has outlived both Ivor Wood (director, died 2004) and the wonderful Gordon Rollings (story editor and narrator, also Charlie Moffit in "Coronation Street") who sadly succumbed to the big "C" in 1985

That IMDB doesn't mention it but didn't Michael Bond get a major break landing a job on the production team of early days Blue Peter which - in turn - got his Paddington stories aired there from which point on, he was minted?

In a similar vein, I remember a styling from around the late 80s called "The Trumpton Rap" by a band called "The Herbs" (?). This contained the lines:

Get down!"

... I think :crossbone:

The backing track was based on "Rapper's Delight" by "The Sugar Hill Gang" (which was itself, of course, lifted from "Good Times" by "Chic")

Sorry to be 10 months late, but is

what you're after? Even Mark King would be impressed with that slaptastic bass solo. :crossbone:

PS I was led to the Herbs via a search for puppeteer creator of Trumpton/Pugwash, Gordon Murray, who's now 86 and an outside possibility. Not very famous to non-30/40something Brits, I'll grant you.

Gordon Murray turned up in the Animation Nation series on BBC 4 last November, looking old but OK....and also in June's Children's TV on Trial...

Keep an eye on the Oliver Postgate/Peter Firmin duo also... :unsure:

Get down!"

... I think :lol:

what you're after? Even Mark King would be impressed with that slaptastic bass solo. :unsure:

Harry, you are a top fella but, blimey, you digging that out could have been accompanied by copious amounts of barrels being scraped.

VSB from H, did you leave the ward much in the 80s? :rip:

Anyway, everbody knows that the Woodentops were the true arse kicking kids programme of the 60s...and of course Mary, Mungo and Midge.

PS: How is Richard Baker these days?

Whaddya reckon, time to dig up the Cliff Mitchelmore thread as well.......

Oi, stop throwing stuff!

Get down!"

... I think :unsure:

what you're after? Even Mark King would be impressed with that slaptastic bass solo. :rip:

PS I was led to the Herbs via a search for puppeteer creator of Trumpton/Pugwash, Gordon Murray, who's now 86 and an outside possibility. Not very famous to non-30/40something Brits, I'll grant you.

Does anyone know if Pugh and his twin brother Pugh are still alive?

... "I said Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb. ...

Weren't they called Hugh and Pugh? I can't imagine that, even in the rural backwaters of Trumptonshire, people were so hopelessly in-bred as to think it fitting to call identical twins by identical names.

Weren't they called Hugh and Pugh? I can't imagine that, even in the rural backwaters of Trumptonshire, people were so hopelessly in-bred as to think it fitting to call identical twins by identical names.

I once met two brothers from the Outer Hebrides who were both called Donald. Donald Angus and Donald John, if I recall correctly.

I don't claim to be a Trumptonshire genealogy expert but I'd have thought that Pugh was their surname (cf Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb; don't ask me why McGrew was allowed a christian name). It would have made common sense for Captain Flack to use their first names to differentiate between them but I guess that wouldn't have sat well with an upper-class martinet like Flack.

"The rhyme everybody remembers is the Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub. Where did that come from ?

Well, it was just the rhythm. That was the big bit of choreography that I did, influenced by my wife who was a ballet dancer you see. Pugh and Pugh are twins you must understand - not Hugh, Pugh"

http://www.t-web.co.uk/trump_gm.htm

Bitterly ironic that they all died in a fire, don't you think?

Weren't they called Hugh and Pugh?
I once met two brothers from the Outer Hebrides who were both called Donald. Donald Angus and Donald John, if I recall correctly.

I'm not even sure if you're being ironic or not, DDT. I presume these scots brothers also shared their surname, but that doesn't mean they had the *same* name. Now, if only we could find out whether or not Hugh & Pugh, or Hugh & Hugh, had other names besides their surname, we could solve this conundrum.

I'm not even sure if you're being ironic or not, DDT. I presume these scots brothers also shared their surname, but that doesn't mean they had the *same* name. Now, if only we could find out whether or not Hugh & Pugh, or Hugh & Hugh, had other names besides their surname, we could solve this conundrum.

Conundrum solved.

Interview with Gordon Murray who hates people going Hugh & Pugh, when it's Pugh & Pugh.

Only Barney McGrew has a first name, because of the "sound" apparently.

Get down!"

... I think :unsure:

what you're after? Even Mark King would be impressed with that slaptastic bass solo. :rip:

Harry, you are hereby promoted to God!

Nice to see Chris de Burgh doing a decent song for a change!

Apparently the first one was called Neville Pugh and the second was also called Neville Pugh. Which made it difficult for their father Neville Pugh to tell them apart.

Apparently the first one was called Neville Pugh and the second was also called Neville Pugh. Which made it difficult for their father Neville Pugh to tell them apart.

Phil and Gary Neville's dad is called Neville Neville. Imagine the difficulties John Motson would be in if he'd decided to call both of his sons Neville Neville as well. :rip:

Phil and Gary Neville's dad is called Neville Neville. Imagine the difficulties John Motson would be in if he'd decided to call both of his sons Neville Neville as well. :blink:

I went to school with a girl who's mum's name was Joyce Joyce.