Sign in to follow this  
Banshees Scream

Big Yellow Bird

I dreamt 'A Big Yellow Bird' had died. Caroll Spinney who has played the part of Sesame Street's, 'Big Bird' is now 73 years old and his biography claims 'In recent years Spinney has had to minimize his time performing Big Bird, due to his age. The literally heavy responsibility of performing Big Bird has gone to Matt Vogel, who performs the character in the regular "Journey to Ernie" segment, and to a very limited extent, Rick Lyon' -

Over his career he performed the characters in Australia, China, Japan, and across Europe.

visited the White House multiple times.

conducted orchestras across the US and Canada, including the Boston Pops.

starred in the theatrically-released movie Follow that Bird, with a high-billing in Elmo in Grouchland.

served as a recording artist on dozens of albums.

Will this bird turn from yellow to blue soon?

Look at it this way Jasper, if Spinney flies the coop, spinneys off into the afterwards, starts molting without replacements, you'll be able to say that you dreamed it and therefore it were or was...or was it really merely a pinhole in the curtain of night?

I dreamt 'A Big Yellow Bird' had died. Caroll Spinney who has played the part of Sesame Street's, 'Big Bird' is now 73 years old and his biography claims 'In recent years Spinney has had to minimize his time performing Big Bird, due to his age. The literally heavy responsibility of performing Big Bird has gone to Matt Vogel, who performs the character in the regular "Journey to Ernie" segment, and to a very limited extent, Rick Lyon' -

Over his career he performed the characters in Australia, China, Japan, and across Europe.

visited the White House multiple times.

conducted orchestras across the US and Canada, including the Boston Pops.

starred in the theatrically-released movie Follow that Bird, with a high-billing in Elmo in Grouchland.

served as a recording artist on dozens of albums.

Will this bird turn from yellow to blue soon?

The main question would be "would he earn a UK obit"?

He falls into the same sort of category as Thurl Ravenscroft (voice of Tony the Tiger from the Kellogs Frosties ads).

Surely the main question is, will he be buried/cremated in the Big Bird costume?

If buried he wouldn't need a coffin the costume would act as a very eye catching shroud.

Surely the main question is, will he be buried/cremated in the Big Bird costume?

If buried he wouldn't need a coffin the costume would act as a very eye catching shroud.

It would take a lot to make a coffin to accomodate the costume

What about Mr Snuffleupagus?

Or how about the actor who plays Oscar the Grouch.. would he get buried in his trash can?

'The literally heavy responsibility of performing Big Bird has gone to Matt Vogel, who performs the character in the regular "Journey to Ernie" segment, and to a very limited extent, Rick Lyon' -

Mr Vogel has an apt name for that job, considering that "Vogel" means "Bird" in German and Dutch.

regards,

Hein

The main question would be "would he earn a UK obit"?

He falls into the same sort of category as Thurl Ravenscroft (voice of Tony the Tiger from the Kellogs Frosties ads).

Yes. I think he would. And Thurl Ravenscroft was once of my own list, the year he decided to croak. But Deathlist left him off that year...

'The literally heavy responsibility of performing Big Bird has gone to Matt Vogel, who performs the character in the regular "Journey to Ernie" segment, and to a very limited extent, Rick Lyon' -

Mr Vogel has an apt name for that job, considering that "Vogel" means "Bird" in German and Dutch.

regards,

Hein

Interesting.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:37, Spade_Cooley said:

Caroll Spinney, who has played Oscar the Grouch and Big Bird on Sesame Street since its inception, is to retire.

• Like 3

You’re in a better place now Caroll. RIP.

I'm happy that before he passed, he was able to see the 50th anniversary of Sesame Street. RIP 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Robinson said:

Sad news... He was a part of many people's childhood. RIP Caroll Spinney. 

Here's him singing "Bein' Green" as Big Bird at Jim Henson's memorial in 1990...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZyMptC2eQ

This is one of the saddest things to watch on YouTube. I sure hope there is a filmed memorial service for Caroll Spinney with a fitting tribute like this as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Robinson said:

Sad news... He was a part of many people's childhood. RIP Caroll Spinney. 

Here's him singing "Bein' Green" as Big Bird at Jim Henson's memorial in 1990...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lrZyMptC2eQ

Big Bird looking up at the sky and saying "Thank you, Kermit" gives me goosebumps every time :(

RIP Caroll and thanks for the many happy memories.

• Sad 1

:( RIP he's hit #20 for me.

RIP Big Bird :( 

Please note to avoid confusion for British posters this thread is not about our current Prime Minister

• Haha 6