Death in Pixie Boots

12. Dennis Skinner

In Blair's speech today, he mentioned Dennis Skinner - 'The Beast of Bolsover',

who is apparently ill. Now he's been ill before.

Is he to hear the last divsion bell?

• Like 1

Skinner could be a good one for next year. He's never looked too clever, mind. Cyril Smith can't be far off either.

Skinner could be a good one for next year. He's never looked too clever, mind. Cyril Smith can't be far off either.

Denis Skinner has his own thread, which has slipped in to obscurity, it last saw action on December 1st 2003.

[Posts moved -- MH]

Edited by Magere Hein

Despite the fact that our politics are poles apart, I've always had a sneaking admiration for the 'Beast of Bolsover'. I wish him well. The same goes for Anthony Wedgewood Benn too.

"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead."

Benjamin Franklin

Josco, it might just be me but didn't it go something like 'three may keep a secret if one of them are dead?'

Skinner's such a tough old boot it'll take more than cancer and a by-pass to see him off. DL 2009, maybe.

Many moons ago, I met his son (also called Dennis) at a student party in Manchester. Later on, I heard him having a blazing row with another guy. The latter was obviously left wing, but Dennis jr. was coming back with lots of tory sounding claptrap. I asked my friend who had originally introduced us what was going on. He told me "Oh, he's always doing that. He just likes to have an argument!"

A chip off the old block then! :D

Benjamin Franklin

Josco, it might just be me but didn't it go something like 'three may keep a secret if one of them are dead?'

I'd never seen the quote until it appeared in Josco's signature, but I know which version I think is more likely to be right. :D

Or could it be, 'Three may keep a secret if they're all alive but really promise in the strongest possible terms not to say anything. And are really trustworthy about that sort of thing'?

Benjamin Franklin

No, it was "Three may keep a Secret, if two of them are dead." Poor Richard's Almanac, 1735.

Benjamin Franklin

Yes, it's just you. :D

:rolleyes: Rumours abound that Dennis Skinner might be about to announce his retirement.

Time stops for no man and that includes incorruptible Dennis Skinner, 78. The Derbyshire MP maintains he'll run again but allies whisper cancer and a triple bypass have taken their toll.

He's been kicked out of the Commons for the rest of the day.

He referred to the prime minister as dodgy Dave and when asked by Commons Speaker John Bercow to withdraw the remark, he refused and instead chose to repeat it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36017171

• Like 2

Ha I saw it live!Brilliant stuff.He looks pretty good for an 84 year old who has had heart problems and cancer in the past.Could easily pass for 74.

Ha I saw it live!Brilliant stuff.He looks pretty good for an 84 year old who has had heart problems and cancer in the past.Could easily pass for 74.

sounds like he has a heart of gold wait no that's plague.

Love Dennis. He calls a spade a spade, and speaks from the heart. Now if only other Lemmings of MP's had the balls to stand up and be counted rather than hide behind their whips to tow the line. Speak for what you believe. Now that's what separates the Skinners from some of the clowns currently sitting in the hours of commons. :bow:

Love Dennis. He calls a spade a spade, and speaks from the heart. Now if only other Lemmings of MP's had the balls to stand up and be counted rather than hide behind their whips to tow the line. Speak for what you believe. Now that's what separates the Skinners from some of the clowns currently sitting in the hours of commons. :bow:

He is a twat.

How many times has he been thrown out over the years?

He is another 'Grandstander' making futile and pointless attacks on opposition Politicians.

So we all think Dave is dodgy, so what? Skinner just rolls out another 'do bears shit in the woods' statement and diverts several barrow loads of shit away from Cameron as everybody gets side tracked by somebody who has been in Politics long enough to know better.

Well done Dennis, you bell end.

He is a twat.

He is another 'Grandstander' making futile and pointless attacks on opposition Politicians.

So we all think Dave is dodgy, so what? Skinner just rolls out another 'do bears shit in the woods' statement and diverts several barrow loads of shit away from Cameron as everybody gets side tracked by somebody who has been in Politics long enough to know better.

I quite like him despite being no where near him on the political spectrum.To me he comes across as one of those grumpy old Uncles/Granddad`s every family has that turn up to family events in a bad mood and just insult everyone and completely disband their filter but that somehow you respect their honesty and have a certain warmth to them that you can`t explain.In terms of making the comments he did he could have not referred to David Cameron as "Dodgy Dave" but by getting kicked out he got a hell of a lot more media exposure and access to the public than he would if he hadn`t used that phrase.Sad that is the way it is but it is true.

• Like 1

He is a twat.

I quite like him despite being no where near him on the political spectrum.To me he comes across as one of those grumpy old Uncles/Granddad`s every family has that turn up to family events in a bad mood and just insult everyone and completely disband their filter but that somehow you respect their honesty and have a certain warmth to them that you can`t explain.In terms of making the comments he did he could have not referred to David Cameron as "Dodgy Dave" but by getting kicked out he got a hell of a lot more media exposure and access to the public than he would if he hadn`t used that phrase.Sad that is the way it is but it is true.

Im nowhere near him on the Political scale either and, tbf, whole swathes of working class folk are nowhere near him either.

20 years ago he was good sport, came up with some good quotes, would go bare knuckle with the old Etonians across the floor and said much that chimed with the public.

Now he just comes across as a rude old git, a show off, an attention seeker who puts himself before his 'people'

The day ended up being as much about good old Dennis as it did about Tax dodging, unforgiveble really.

Fucking hell, he could even have taken Cameron to task over spunking £9 million of taxpayers money on high grade bog roll containing 'facts and nothing but the facts' pertaining to remaining within the EU.

THAT is a fucking scandal, its not like Brexit will be given £9 million of OUR money to provide a counter argument, is it.

He is a twat.

Im nowhere near him on the Political scale either and, tbf, whole swathes of working class folk are nowhere near him either.

20 years ago he was good sport, came up with some good quotes, would go bare knuckle with the old Etonians across the floor and said much that chimed with the public.

Now he just comes across as a rude old git, a show off, an attention seeker who puts himself before his 'people'

The day ended up being as much about good old Dennis as it did about Tax dodging, unforgiveble really.

Fucking hell, he could even have taken Cameron to task over spunking £9 million of taxpayers money on high grade bog roll containing 'facts and nothing but the facts' pertaining to remaining within the EU.

THAT is a fucking scandal, its not like Brexit will be given £9 million of OUR money to provide a counter argument, is it.

Deleted

• Like 1