Death in Pixie Boots

12. Dennis Skinner

Many happy returns to the legend then.

Just balancing things out. :lol:

• Like 1

Poor old Dennis is getting a lot of flack at the moment for his pro Brexit stance, mainly from horrible Momentum type rabid new converts to the Labour cause who seem oblivious to the fact that there has always been a solid left wing argument for leaving the EU.   Parliament will be a poorer place without him IMO.

For those interested in the great man's work, check out this clip of a tired and irritable Skinner savaging David Dimbleby the morning after the surprise Tory election victory in 1992.   Allegedly this performance was the reason why Skinner was never invited on to Question Time during Dimbleby's tenure.  

• Thanks 2

The Beast of Bolsover lost his seat on Friday - I was listening as the result came in around 5 a.m. Dennis was too ill - after a recent hip operation - to attend.

At 87, got to be a good choice for 2020 I'd have thought ...

• Like 1

Dennis Skinner trending on Twitter tonight after Derbyshire radio station erroneously reported that he had died...

• Like 1
  • Shocked 4

32 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I see there's going to be a play about his life: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-60087393

Good news: Gareth Williams of the Flying Pickets is still alive.

I was disappointed when they said that it's not a musical.

Now if they had made it in to a rock opera, people will go and see it just for the S&G factor.

• Like 1

The legendary MP is now 90 years old and surely deserves his own thread.

He does have his own thread. Merge please.

• Like 1

That is a fake account

91 in February.

Not seen in some time (years?).

I know there was a film on his life that came out earlier this year. In the trailer, it looks like they used an actor for the figure walking around Bolsover who is meant to be Skinner.

He was too ill to campaign in 2019 when he lost his parliamentary seat.

Seems a very good punt for 2023.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Seems a very good punt for 2023.

Agreed. I had completely forgot about Skinner for some reason. I cannot see him making 2025. It will be interesting to see who is the last man standing out of Skinner and Nigel Lawson (two British politicians in their 90th year). If anyone is interested, I can start a poll on this.

I can see Skinner going in 2023; Lawson in 2024. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Agreed. I had completely forgot about Skinner for some reason. I cannot see him making 2025. It will be interesting to see who is the last man standing out of Skinner and Nigel Lawson (two British politicians in their 90th year). If anyone is interested, I can start a poll on this.

I can see Skinner going in 2023; Lawson in 2024. 

I honestly don't think Lawson will live past 2023. They're both excellent punts for next year. As are Hurd and Tebbit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I honestly don't think Lawson will live past 2023. They're both excellent punts for next year. As are Hurd and Tebbit.

Lawson has looked like an unexpected boo would finish him off for years now. Though given he was meant to be quite badly ill with cancer about a decade ago (never did find out what type of cancer) he's done well to make it this far.

As has Dennis Skinner tbh - the hushed tones from Labour folk who knew during the 2019 election made it sound like 3 months was a tall order, let alone 3 years.

• Like 5

I quite like this pick

• Like 2

He is a massive name in UK politics.Despite never holding anything near high office he was one of the most recognisable and memorable MPs of recent times.

I hope he is enjoying his retirement despite it being unwanted.He was unwell in 2019 and only stood out of loyalty as he was so personally well regarded.I was researching him the other day and last video I could find was of him talking about his love for gardening 2 years ago where he looked reasonably well. He has previously had bypass surgery , cancer and a hip replacement in the past.

• Like 2

On 12/02/2019 at 21:31, DevonDeathTrip said:

Poor old Dennis is getting a lot of flack at the moment for his pro Brexit stance, mainly from horrible Momentum type rabid new converts to the Labour cause who seem oblivious to the fact that there has always been a solid left wing argument for leaving the EU.   Parliament will be a poorer place without him IMO.

For those interested in the great man's work, check out this clip of a tired and irritable Skinner savaging David Dimbleby the morning after the surprise Tory election victory in 1992.   Allegedly this performance was the reason why Skinner was never invited on to Question Time during Dimbleby's tenure.  

What a lot of the modern Labour types never understood was that the sovereignty argument had more significance than many centrists would ever admit.Skinner along with Benn Corbyn and many others wanted to fundamentally change the economic policy of this country and the EU was a barrier to radical change which is what Skinner represented.He rebelled against the established order so it is completely logical he was anti EU.

• Like 4

Anyone outside the UK's initial thought when they see this pick

• Haha 8

Would be nice for him to hang around long enough to see Bolsover kick the Tories back out of his seat. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomarse said:

Would be nice for him to hang around long enough to see Bolsover kick the Tories back out of his seat. 

I would love that. Have a feeling he will be a 2024 death, so potentially depending on when a ge is called

• Like 1

Why has terminally ill Frank Field been dropped in favour of Dennis Skinner and Norman Tebbit?

• Like 2