Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

I quite like

although the lip-synch is not as good.

Saw Joseph Andrews on BBC 4 this week, dated old bawdy romp full of British luvvies but it answered a question for me about a scene someone described to me but couldn't source. Well worth the moment if you get a chance to see it; Basically there's all kinds of injustice going on and Hugh Griffith (I think) is a local squire keen to hang someone, when he realises his first two choices are off limits he fixes to kill the people who grassed them, Michael Hordern - playing a priest - goes into one about mercy and justice whilst Griffiths wanders slowly over to a table, picks up a blunderbuss, mumbles 'bollocks' and shoots his three suspects dead.

I always wondered what Stanley Kubrick's 2001 was about, particularly the end. If you have 20 minutes to spare this makes everything, ahem, crystal clear.

Bloody hell! That was nearly as epic as the film.

The net result? It told us what we knew all along.

Man cannot control his tool........... :skull:

Something like that, anyway.

saw "The Man who would be King" over the holiday. What a glorious movie. Great story, beautifully shot, perfectly cast. 10/10.

Unlikely to be everyone's favourite film but - effete intellectual that I am - I would like to recommend Ten Canoes, which you may well find in your local Blockbuster, funny and affectionate film set in the past when there were no whites in Australia and mainly about day to day goings on in a tribe but - sort of - resonant with the way all small communities behave.

I saw 'The Great Debaters' directed by Denzel Washington yesterday. I would rate it a strong seven out of ten. The movie was put together the right way 'it was based on a true story' but it was very long and from now on coming attractions seriously need to only show upcoming films instead of annoying commercials nobody cares about.

Unlikely to be everyone's favourite film but - effete intellectual that I am - I would like to recommend Ten Canoes, which you may well find in your local Blockbuster, funny and affectionate film set in the past when there were no whites in Australia and mainly about day to day goings on in a tribe but - sort of - resonant with the way all small communities behave.

Perhaps its me...but I watched this yesterday (via a free months subscription to "LOVEFiLM " ) . Possibly the worst film ever-made . Apart from a few fart and knob gags , there weren't any laughs . Maybe it was supposed to be some sort of Aboriginal historical record with a hidden meaning :sicktherm: I didn't get it anyway.....I gave it 60 mins or so...so I dont know how it ended....

Perhaps its me...but I watched this yesterday (via a free months subscription to "LOVEFiLM " ) . Possibly the worst film ever-made . Apart from a few fart and knob gags , there weren't any laughs . Maybe it was supposed to be some sort of Aboriginal historical record with a hidden meaning :sicktherm: I didn't get it anyway.....I gave it 60 mins or so...so I dont know how it ended....

You mean, you popped the disc before the spaceship landed!?

Incidentally re worst film; don't get me started. Okay there's stuff like Santa Clause Conquers the Martians or Plan 9 From Outer Space that are so blisteringly bad they're brilliant. But have you, or anyone else suffered the shite that is The Legend of Boggy Creek? Put it this way, it's a 1970s documentary about a bigfoot type creature seen near Boggy Creek. Not a single frame of the creature and most of the witnesses interviewed at length are hicks from the sticks not particularly well disposed to talking on film.

Just finished watching the entire run of the Blackadders. Bit of a slow start, but picked up rather quickly, just my sort of thing really, and ended with the spectacular finale of Blackadder Goes Forth. Also saw "Blackadder: Back and Forth," which had so much potential, but lost it by trying to cram it into 34 minutes and ended up really feeling like an unfunny rip off of Blackadder. Overall, and though I'm sure most everyone else knows it here, worth it for Blackadder the Third and Blackadder Goes Forth, if nothing else.

Now that I have a better understanding of Hugh Laurie and am 250 posts into Twunt Mastery, I thought I'd choose to honour a new subject to be Twunt Master. Having just received the entire set of Star Trek: TOS and Star Trek: TNG movies, I could think of no better choice to give ol' Prince George a rest than the Priceline Negotiator himself.

Damn, you have adverts for Priceline over there? Not more competition for bids...I'm only just being trained up by my father in the name your own price bidding wars. Got myself a nice Mariott in the Latin Quarter, Paris this friday to look forward to at £45. Bidding can almost be as complicated as rocket science if you want to get the cheapest of deals so I guess the Startrek guy is a good choice.

Perhaps its me...but I watched this yesterday (via a free months subscription to "LOVEFiLM " ) . Possibly the worst film ever-made . Apart from a few fart and knob gags , there weren't any laughs . Maybe it was supposed to be some sort of Aboriginal historical record with a hidden meaning :banghead: I didn't get it anyway.....I gave it 60 mins or so...so I dont know how it ended....

You mean, you popped the disc before the spaceship landed!?

Incidentally re worst film; don't get me started. Okay there's stuff like Santa Clause Conquers the Martians or Plan 9 From Outer Space that are so blisteringly bad they're brilliant. But have you, or anyone else suffered the shite that is The Legend of Boggy Creek? Put it this way, it's a 1970s documentary about a bigfoot type creature seen near Boggy Creek. Not a single frame of the creature and most of the witnesses interviewed at length are hicks from the sticks not particularly well disposed to talking on film.

Boggy Creek, Yes when I was about 8, scared the crap out of me! (well I was only 8. Not sure what was more frightening the monster or the Deliverance style hicks!) The first sequel (yes there is more than 1 :D ) would get my vote for worst film.

Happy New Year OSP. Hell, I hadn't realised they'd done sequels but the IMDB lists 3. Which must mean enough chumps shelled out for the first two to make the 1985 movie sellable.

Took a break from Star Trek to watch the 1986 version of Little Shop of Horrors. I found it to be quite amusing, not to mention that I enjoyed a handful of the songs, but, at the very least, I'd say that musicals have to be your thing in order for you to enjoy this one, and even then, it's still a bit iffy. The cameos (John Candy, Christopher Guest, Bill Murray, Jim Belushi) seemed pretty outdated to me and Candy, the one good one, was underused. If it's been hyped up for you already as a "classic," then forget it, because the one or two cultural references that you will suddenly understand just aren't worth it otherwise. If you're a fan of musicals and you come in with lowered expectations, it can be quite charming. If nothing else, like most musicals, it moves along pretty quick. I guess that's not a very helpful review, since I sort of changed my mind in the middle of the review. I'd watch it again, but I enjoy darker musicals (Chicago, RHPS, West Side Story etc.)

For bonus Deathlisting points, the movie stars current DL candidate (and 2x time DDP candidate for myself) Levi Stubbs, who provides the voice of "Audrey II," which would have given him top billing, had he not merely been voicing a one-ton puppet.

Also watched Spartacus on the plane, but I think I gave my opinion on that somewhere where I was arguing about Kubrick films. It's much better the second time around, as it doesn't seem as slow as the first go was. Would watch it again too, but perhaps not for a bit.

I quite enjoyed The Number 23

Went to see the much-hyped No Country for Old Men last night. The first 3/4 was excellent, very entertaining, but the last part was frankly a disappointment. One major bit of plot inexplicably takes place off screen, and from that moment on they kinda lost me. Also, despite numerous opportunities to do so, at no point did any of the characters say, "This here's No Country for Old Men".

8/10.

Went to see the much-hyped No Country for Old Men last night. The first 3/4 was excellent, very entertaining, but the last part was frankly a disappointment. One major bit of plot inexplicably takes place off screen, and from that moment on they kinda lost me. Also, despite numerous opportunities to do so, at no point did any of the characters say, "This here's No Country for Old Men".

8/10.

Oh right, I'd obviously misheard the stuff on radio about the movie. I thought it was about the miseries of getting old and was called 'No C*** for Old Men.'

I'll see meself out, obviously.

Taxidermia

Gross, twisted and - consistently - inspired. Hungarian with subtitles and not for the squeamish, but unforgettable. Myself and the Voice of Young Maryport enjoyed the entertainment whilst his mother maintained a safe distance surfing for hotels with organic food for a half-term break.

Just saw Cloverfield last night. I am a big fan of JJ Abrahams and am looking forward to his Star Treck movie.

In any case, Cloverfield was amazing... everything that movies like Godzilla and Independence Day should have been... but weren't.

8/10.

Saw it tonight CR, totally agree about odd off screen plotting near the end but was gripped nonetheless. A fine film, great baddy, couldn't believe the odd ending but sorted it all out when I got home. The question I'm still not sure about is whether the bad guy got the money. I think he probably did because he gave the kids $100 to keep quiet. Some great scenes all the way through.

One intriguing bit near the end when the cop goes in to the hotel room and the bad guy is there but the bad guy doesn't kill the cop. Then you notice a coin on the floor and it's heads up, so the bad guy probably let him (the cop) off.

The title is explained by the conversation between the two old cops (after the Mexicans have shot up the motel) where they are lamenting the changing times and lack of respect in modern (1980) US society. I loved it. Must see it again.

No Country For Old Men - Enjoyed it throughout, but had to watch the ending 3 times and still wasnt completly happy. 8/10

Juno - Great film, especially if you enjoyed 'Superbad'. Very funny and very wierd 9/10

Sweeny Todd - Um Different... "70% Musical" according to Tim Burton, another awesome Depp performance 8/10

Jesse James (Brad Pitt) - Great acting from Pitt but overall i found it a bit drawn out and boring 7/10

The question I'm still not sure about is whether the bad guy got the money.

You must have left before the final bit of the film that the Coen Brothers' craftily tacked on after the credits had finished. Turns out the bad guy did get the money, uses it to get a decent haircut, and ends up with Penelope Cruz.

Penelope-Cruz-y-Bardem.jpg

I always feel completely thick and stupid when in this thread, as I've never heard of any of the films mentioned. I obviously am uncultured and common. Anyhow, I just watched The Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller, and seeing as I think he's quite funny, was a bit disappointed, as it was not that funny at all. A couple of smirk moments, but not his best moment by any means.

I'll try and watch a meaningful, intelligent film next time so I can feel a bit more clever like what you lot are. <_<

I watched This Is England yesterday - it was all right, but came to a bit of an abrupt end I thought.