Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

Ah that's quite a good film, saw it on Talking Pictures last year. The killer is Nigel Green of Zulu/Ipcress File fame.

Witness in the Dark.

Saw it many years ago, when I were a lad.

So much for obscure then, lol...

By the way, here is the Adolf-lookalike I was talking about!!!!!!!!!

xZ4ayIw.jpg

SUw1Gko.jpg

It's effing uncanny :o:D:o:D

• Like 1

On the plane on Sunday I watched Your Name which is a Japanese animated movie (not Ghibli) with subtitles (I don't know whether there is a dub available) but it starts out as a high school body swap comedy then about half-way through goes in an unexpected direction. I would recommend.

Has anyone seen In Order of Disappearance? It's supposedly a thriller, but I found it to be a very, very black comedy and quite funny in a kind of In Bruges style.

But I'm left wondering if I just have an unusual sense of humour.

Has anyone seen In Order of Disappearance? It's supposedly a thriller, but I found it to be a very, very black comedy and quite funny in a kind of In Bruges style.

But I'm left wondering if I just have an unusual sense of humour.

oh god

I watched Captain Fantastic on the plane it is very good Viggo Mortensen deserves his Oscar nomination and the six children have a real ring of truth about them. However it is not an easy watch but there are some very funny scenes.

I saw Trainspotting 2 last night. It really was very good. Still quite dark. Soundtrack not as good as the first. And I saw Ewan McGregor's AND Jonny Lee Miller's cocks.

Oh come on, you didn't expect a USEFUL review from me, did you? Just go and see it.

• Like 2

I saw Trainspotting 2 last night. It really was very good. Still quite dark. Soundtrack not as good as the first. And I saw Ewan McGregor's AND Jonny Lee Miller's cocks.

Oh come on, you didn't expect a USEFUL review from me, did you? Just go and see it.

Well...

The one thing always bothering me about the first part is the scene, when you see that cock from that blonde, goofy guy passing out and shitting on the bed... the girl looks at the cock and says "didn't miss much..." or something like that. But I thought it was quite a handful.

• Like 1

Deepwater Horizon is very good and worth a watch but won't spoil the ending for you.

Does it feature Russian ladies of negotiable affection?

Deepwater Horizon is very good and worth a watch but won't spoil the ending for you.

Does it feature Russian ladies of negotiable affection?

Nope, but there's a shower scene if that's your thing.

It is an excellent review, Lardy, and tells me all I need to know B)

• Like 2

Well...

The one thing always bothering me about the first part is the scene, when you see that cock from that blonde, goofy guy passing out and shitting on the bed... the girl looks at the cock and says "didn't miss much..." or something like that. But I thought it was quite a handful.

Couldn't agree more. It's like a baby's arm holding an apple. Certainly bigger than the two I've had.

The ending answers that old riddle about what has four legs and goes "woof!" right?

Just finished watching it. As the only person around here who has worked offshore rigs 100 miles out similar to where the action was, it was a unique perspective. I was on land jobs when DH occurred. I could knit pick different professional aspects of the movie but it's a movie (e.g. Walberg waltzing around the deck without FRCs....as if.)

Review: The authentic parts of the movie - A

The parts that were Hollywooded up - D

Overall - C

No reason to add Hollywood to this event. I knew 11 died, but they musta showed 30 people doing so. In 2012 I met a DH survivor at -- you guessed it -- offshore survival and he had plenty to say which is at odds with the depiction provided.

I will say it's an intense action flick that ended and I'm like huh? And 90 minutes had gone by and it felt like 30. So there's that.

Sir Creep

Much to my surprise I actually got round to watching a film i'd taped (ok, digitally recorded or whatever) over xmas.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is a joy. It's quick fire humour delivers joke after prat fall after toe curling embarrassment after laugh out loud one liner. The plot is nonsense. But it enables a narrative thread to run throughout into which Coogan places a character whose behaviour makes you want to to embrace him one second and punch him the next. Joyously funny and guaranteed to lighten any post-truth dark day. 

Bringing @Davey Jones' Locker Valerian discussion into this thread.

I think the film is on dodgy ground. If fans of the original like DJL are upset then they are not going to go and I do not think there is enough in that trailer to convince me that this is worth spending my money on.

Like John Carter I will probably wait and watch it on a plane or on DVD.

I actually quite liked John Carter despite its linearity but I had not forked out £30 to take the family to see it which may have reduced my expectations.

My daughter is boycotting the Ghost in the Shell movies because it has been Americanised and the same goes for the up coming Death Note movie.

and another thing while I am ranting why do we even need a Beauty and the Beast remake. The original animated version is the closest Disney came to perfection and imo it should have beaten Silence of the Lambs to the Best Picture Oscar surely remakes should be those films that came close but no cigar. Not just a cynical marketing ploy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think the film is on dodgy ground. If fans of the original like DJL are upset then they are not going to go and I do not think there is enough in that trailer to convince me that this is worth spending my money on.

I actually quite liked John Carter despite its linearity but I had not forked out £30 to take the family to see it which may have reduced my expectations.

My daughter is boycotting the Ghost in the Shell movies because it has been Americanised and the same goes for the up coming Death Note movie.

and another thing while I am ranting why do we even need a Beauty and the Beast remake. The original animated version is the closest Disney came to perfection and imo it should have beaten Silence of the Lambs to the Best Picture Oscar surely remakes should be those films that came close but no cigar. Not just a cynical marketing ploy.

Yes, Valerian is unfaithful to the original and does not seem to be impressing the general public if newspaper comments on yhe trailer are anything to go by.  

Why do we need another Beauty and the Beast when Cocteau's French version is a classic?

18 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

...surely remakes should be those films that came close but no cigar. Not just a cynical marketing ploy.

Totally agree. Why the hell did anyone think of remaking Watership Down with modern liberal sensibilities, removing the basic premise that for such creatures like can be cruel, unkind and unfair. I think mollycoddled kids could learn a lot from watching the original Watership Down from the 70s. There's no need to mess with this stuff, leave it alone.

It makes me glad that some authors refuse to let filmmakers tinker with their source material (e.g. Keri Hulme)

• Like 1

On 30/03/2017 at 15:49, Bibliogryphon said:

I guess that's the other point. You are obviously a fairly big SF fan and the trailers haven't motivated you to see Valerian at the cinema. If even SF fans aren't that interested, let alone the casual public, this is going to bomb and bomb badly. I am torn between being sad about this because I would love to see a French SF classic do well but half happy because it has clearly been Americanized into a militaristic action shoot-'em-up. :(

I was holding onto a very slim hope that if it did well and went mainstream it could prove a viable alternative franchise to Star Warsfor youngsters (that was always going to be a very long shot though.) 

• Like 1

@Bibliogryphon

I found out something weird/distasteful yesterday.  Apparently Disney are holding a big Star Wars convention this weekend and plan to release the first promotional trailer for Last Jedi as one of the convention events this Friday.  As in Good Friday.

For all their lip service to religion, I realise the Yanks don't formally recognise Good Friday/Easter as a religious holiday (they call it "Spring Break" and give the kids some time off school) but it just struck me as really odd to release the first promotional trailer for one of the most anticipated films of all time on what is a religious holiday in much of the western world, given they are going after international box office.  Marketing blunder or is the Star Wars hype machine so huge that people will tune in no matter what?  What about all the people traveling on vacation over the holiday period who won't have an internet connection to see the trailer?

Who cares? The Star Wars franchise as a whole is just a poor man's Battle Beyond the Stars

• Like 1

Just saw a movie where Olivia de Havilland plays a Swedish nurse. :wub: