Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

@Bibliogryphon

Yes, I am curious about Shape of Water, too.

BTW, to wash the taste of that awful, awful Valerian film from your mouth, here is a short trailer for a kids' cartoon version which actually seems to be a lot better than Besson's 200 million dollar monstrosity. At the very least, they faithfully adapt Laureline from the comic version:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

@Bibliogryphon

Yes, I am curious about Shape of Water, too.

BTW, to wash the taste of that awful, awful Valerian film from your mouth, here is a short trailer for a kids' cartoon version which actually seems to be a lot better than Besson's 200 million dollar monstrosity. At the very least, they faithfully adapt Laureline from the comic version:

I have been watching a lot of anime recently so that would quite  appeal to me. I did watch that with no sound though. It is a big shame about Valerian though because a good non Marvel Disney franchise would be quite welcome.

• Thanks 1

So, having survived the taxing job this week and looking forward to the fast-moving corporate excitement tomorrow me and Mrs MPFC were availing ourselves of a pub meal an hour back and wondering aloud about spending next week's date night at the cinema

Whaddya reckon on recent stuff still in the multplexes

I'm tending towards Three Billboards but could be persuaded about Gary Oldman as Churchill

Opinions anyone (I mean, obviously these are opinions on the films.  Please avoid expressing an opinion on the folly of planning your romantic life on the back of dead pooler's opinions)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I have been watching a lot of anime recently so that would quite  appeal to me. I did watch that with no sound though. It is a big shame about Valerian though because a good non Marvel Disney franchise would be quite welcome.

Absolutely. Better still, it would have been a non-Hollywood franchise. Apparently, it was the most expensive European film AND the most expensive indie film ever made.  Besson apparently had plans to make a trilogy. Might be better if they are never made if they were going to be anything like the first travesty.

At least we have Blade Runner 2049 as a good art SF film this year.

On 7/29/2017 at 06:23, Joey Russ said:

Eh, it only got a 6% on rotten tomatoes. I'll gladly pass...

Betting it's better than Dunkirk.  Truly awful.   I know this is a thread about positive vibes, but where else can I complain about 2 hours of my life I want back. 

I'd have rather re-read all of your posts here on DL, Joey.  For 2 hours.

SC

^ I like how that is essentially 4 or 5 different complaints in about 40 words!

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the New remake of the 1970s film: Death Wish? The original starred the late, great Charles Bronson who played Paul Kersey, greaving husband turned vigilante. The recent one stars Bruce Willis in the main role. Is it ok or will we be wanting our money back? :tomatododge:

15 hours ago, theoldlady said:

Has anyone seen the New remake of the 1970s film: Death Wish? The original starred the late, great Charles Bronson who played Paul Kersey, greaving husband turned vigilante. The recent one stars Bruce Willis in the main role. Is it ok or will we be wanting our money back? :tomatododge:

Why bother remaking that. I mean, if they'd cast Johnny Vegas and taken it somewhere else...

In other news got The Party on DVD - 68 minutes black and white intense drama. A bunch of unlikable types get together for a party that doesn't look too jovial and then things take a turn for the (much) worse. 

My kinda movie - would recommend it to those who like grim humour and generally bleak drama

• Like 1

Fancy a movie on the Irish Troubles but stuck for choice?

A list of 60 on the one page (links to some full films, or scenes/trailers to see if worth looking for) over the last 90 years.

https://belfastchildis.com/60-films-about-the-troubles/

*eta.

No 'the wind that shakes the barley' but 'the grasscutter' looks worth a find..

2 hours ago, theoldlady said:

On a positive note, it's Bruce Willis rather than Sylvester Stallone, but conversely, will you be able to watch it without thinking it's Die Hard 6?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Why bother remaking that. I mean, if they'd cast Johnny Vegas and taken it somewhere else...

In other news got The Party on DVD - 68 minutes black and white intense drama. A bunch of unlikable types get together for a party that doesn't look to jovial and then things take a turn for the (much) worse. 

My kinda movie - would recommend it to those who like grim humour and generally bleak drama

I prefer the Peter Sellers hippie comedy of the same name. Birdy-num-nums. What a blast.

Have you ever seen Festen?

14 hours ago, charon said:

Fancy a movie on the Irish Troubles but stuck for choice?

A list of 60 on the one page (links to some full films, or scenes/trailers to see if worth looking for) over the last 90 years.

https://belfastchildis.com/60-films-about-the-troubles/

*eta.

No 'the wind that shakes the barley' but 'the grasscutter' looks worth a find..

Quite a list - though I'm seeing a gap for a bright, colourful feel-good musical!

On 25/01/2018 at 19:27, Bibliogryphon said:

Not seen the Last Jedi yet.

Not heard good things. Might go and see The Shape of Water instead

Saw it today. Yes, in its own way, it really is worse than Valerian. Old timers will be relieved to know Hamill is fine and Luke maintains his integrity but everything else was putrid.

What I think has happened is that Johnson wanted to make a film that deconstructed SW cliches by subverting them and even making fun of them. This would work better in a standalone not in Episode 8 of an ongoing story though. There is still absolutely no context to what is happening and we are two films into the trilogy, so there is no real reason to care about the characters.

Snoke is the most pointless character ever. It would have made much more sense to make Hux a less Vaudevillian villain and make him the new leader of the remnants of the empire and have him psychologically abuse Kylo. By introducing Snoke as a super powerful force user, they just created a huge mess for themselves that they apparently have no idea how to resolve.

Along with this attempted subversion, there is a lot of cheesey Disney humour and preachiness about social issues which really grated on my nerves (even when a few of the social issues are ones I support!) Definitely a lot of corporate meddling here, I'd say, in an attempt to tick demographic boxes.

Daisy Ridley makes Hayden Christensen look like Laurence Olivier with her "acting". 

Load of tedious bollocks. Will be interesting to see how much the box office drops off for Episode 9 after this one, to say nothing of their toy sales.

• Like 1

On 14/03/2018 at 08:31, maryportfuncity said:

Quite a list - though I'm seeing a gap for a bright, colourful feel-good musical!

Good Vibrations almost fits that bill....

14 minutes ago, charon said:

Good Vibrations almost fits that bill....

Aye - fair point; and probably the one Belfast deserved.

On 1/25/2018 at 21:18, maryportfuncity said:

I'm tending towards Three Billboards but could be persuaded about Gary Oldman as Churchill

Opinions anyone (I mean, obviously these are opinions on the films.  Please avoid expressing an opinion on the folly of planning your romantic life on the back of dead pooler's opinions)

Just saw Three Billboards.

Quriky (well it is Frances "Fargo" McDormand and loony Sam 'Moon' Rockwell), Sad, Extremely humourous in part (certainly if you prefer the dark variety) and a fine exposition of the often hard to understand balance between anger and empathy.

Not for action fans but if you tire of 'seen it all before' fare definitely worth your time. Recommended  (by anyone, as above, in this case, er, me.)

Also recently seen Blade Runner 2049. Fan of the original and the book. This? Not so much. To be fair it was a hard act to follow, perhaps others may view it differently.

Churchill: - On the list.

One to avoid utterly and completely is Wunderland , a yank take on the Battle of the Bulge.

Dialogue and one liners are fucking awful, as is the 4 yanks kill fifty SS time after time.

Lol, holding his crucifix the Capitan recites " it reminds me why I'm fighting this War" :D

Glad they got massacred at the end.

* tho, it does throw Tom Berringer onto my lists, old, fat, not got another 5 years.....

Its not exactly the Shaw class on the Battle.

On the other hand.

Bomb city.

Think it based on troooo story.

Punks v society in 99 murica , society wins.

Great soundtrack and more importantly, watchable.

1 hour ago, charon said:

On the other hand.

Bomb city.

Think it based on troooo story.

Punks v society in 99 murica , society wins.

Great soundtrack and more importantly, watchable.

"more importantly, watchable"

only watched half of it, average at best

not a new concept and a boring story line 

I went to see the two hour long toy commercial that is Han Solo today with the same guys from work who dragged me along to King Arthur  last year.  Here are some initial thoughts about it: it was basically a typical generic Hollywood action/gangster film with some Star Wars dressing. However, even a generic action film is far better than the sequel trilogy offerings, so these standalone cash grabs are at least better than the turgid Kylo Ren/Rey snoozefests.

In terms of tone, it is a little like a cross between Return of the Jedi and Attack of the Clones. There, is of course, almost zero substance to the film at all apart from a few sly digs at the mindlessness of blind obedience in the military and the effect that unemployment can have on a family. There are also  a lot of in-jokes and references to other SW films.

The person who plays Han is a mediocre actor at best but it is the guy who plays Lando who steals the show: the only times the film comes to life is when he is onscreen. The female characters are all woeful, especially the droid/robot rights activist. Emilia Clarke is the least convincing gangster's moll ever. 

The much publicised controversy over Lando's "pansexuality" is just Hollywood hype bollocks: he calls Han "babe" a few times which might be to flirt with him or might just be to wind him up. His droid claims robots and humans can sleep together but one is never sure whether she is telling the truth or completely delusional.

Most of the plot was actually fairly boring: an early train heist sequence should have been much more elaborate and tense than it was and the Kessel robbery/run, which has been so often referenced in Star Wars folklore turned put to be so boring that I really wanted to fast forward through that part of the film. It was fun to see the infamous game of  Sabacc  (a made-up bollocks name for space poker) where Han wins the Falcon off Lando, though.

There was some nice triple crossing at the end which offered the film's only real surprise. Also, the bizarre cameo by the supposedly long-dead Darth Maul would have been a strange twist if it had not been leaked all over the internet months ago. As it stands, it is a weird sequence, probably setting up a sequel and hinting that the empire is using the mafia to do its dirty work for it.

One common theme to all these new Disney films is that they are developing the theme that the Rebel Alliance is just as morally questionable as the Empire and this film continues that theme as it shows a crime gang working for them.

Although the Falcon is supposedly a smuggler's vessel, no smuggling is shown in this film. I always imagined Han would be quietly skulking in and out of space ports with contraband, dodging i perial customs officials. Instead, the Falcon is basically a getaway car for heists after typical Yank-style action film shoot-outs.

Overall, 5/10. Don't bother to see it at the cinema unless you are a diehard SW nut. If you are a casual SW fan, wait until it is in the bargain bin at your DVD shop (or go buy a Valerian comic instead). If you couldn't give a rat's about SW, avoid it altogether as it is just another dumb Hollywood action film at the end of the day. At any rate, this film won't win over any new converts to the charms of this tired old franchise. Disney's self-wrought undermining of the SW brand continues apace! Never has a franchise self destructed so comprehensively so quickly....

• Like 2

star wars is so politically correct now that it makes me sick

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, runebomme said:

star wars is so politically correct now that it makes me sick

SJW's and far left marxists are cultural body snatchers they want to replace everything with their own sanitised politically correct version. I honestly never liked star wars or star trek but I love sci fi movies about space and aliens lol I have weird taste.

• Like 1

I watched never hike alone the other night it was excellent for a fan movie. It's what a remake/reboot of friday the 13th should of been.

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

SJW's and far left marxists are cultural body snatchers they want to replace everything with their own sanitised politically correct version. I honestly never liked star wars or star trek but I love sci fi movies about space and aliens lol I have weird taste.

i liked them both and all this new crap is ruining them

most people complain but I liked enterprise

everything after that has been shitty

• Like 2

6 hours ago, runebomme said:

i liked them both and all this new crap is ruining them

most people complain but I liked enterprise

everything after that has been shitty

@the_engineer @runebomme You lads are going to despise the L3 droid then who, as I said above, is a robot liberation activist and possibly Lando's sex-bot girlfriend (or it could just be a self-deluded malfunctioning scrapheap.) It is like a more-militant rehash of Rose from The Last Jedi. ( Of course, there is also the possibility that L3 was intended by the writers to be a sly parody of Kathleen Kennedy but I am not sure they would be that cunning...)

At any rate, on the bright side, at least Jar Jar is only the third-most annoying SW character now...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScdebGK8uFEAUZiwYKypI

The way things are going, the next film will probably feature a droid with the serial number PA1\1KHU12ST or G12EE12.  

The heavy-handed social justice messages in the new films and this notion of sex with other species and robots do seem a lot more Gene Roddenberry than George Lucas. 

• Like 1