Cowboy Ronnie

Seen Any Good Films Lately?

Watched "Prey" a couple of nights ago.  If you liked the predator movies, I'm sure you'll like this.  I've tried a few times to try to explain my reasons how clever it was, but I guess you'll have to watch it to find out for yourself.  I was impressed by the way the preditors weapons were depicted in the film.  Just like our own from the 1700's, they've evolved. 

• Like 1

Facebook translator fail - but sounds like a great movie plot!

D8CA6CB3-5FF8-4519-B933-0E3A32009E09.jpeg

• Like 1

Not really a film man, but looking forward to this one:

image.png.c457c4bf99bec39b6f67392a1e724b04.png

Should be right up there with The English Patient and The Shawshank Redemption.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Not really a film man, but looking forward to this one:

image.png.c457c4bf99bec39b6f67392a1e724b04.png

Should be right up there with The English Patient and The Shawshank Redemption.

When's it due out? 

• Like 1

The School for Good and Evil was released on Netflix today. I haven't finished all of it, so far it works well as a film, but it is weighed down by the greatness of the books. So much changed between them. One of the characters whose (pre-story) death served as a major plot point is still alive, the School Master has changed entirely, the albino is black, numerous characters, including one who plays a major part in all 6 books, find themselves on the cutting room floor, deliberately-well-placed stereotypes are ignored, such as the princesses, who, in the books, are initially terrified by Agatha, are instead total bitches towards her from the word go. Some characters aren't even in the books, for example Gregor, who, going by the book ages of his parents, should be much older. Hort has changed families, too. 

In short, a great standalone film, but very different to the books. Too different, I find. 8/10 so far. 

EDIT: Finished it now. The ending was worth the wait. 10/10, and room for a sequel. 

• Like 1

A big pet peeve of mine is when someone rates or judges a film, book, etc. when they haven't finished it. How can you tell me something is good or bad if you haven't reached its end?

• Like 1

Watched Halloween ends on Friday. I have to say me and my wife loved it, but Moreso to do with the subplot of Corey rather than the Laurie/Michael showdown. The opening is great & so were a lot of the kills. But it's divided a lot of people and it seems you either love it or hate it.

Second best out of the whole franchise behind the original.

• Like 1

Just been to see the new Dungeons & Dragons film.

It is pitched absolutely perfectly. So much fun

• Like 2

I watched The Pope’s Exorcist, I love horror so for me it was very good, I loved it

On 03/04/2023 at 21:25, Bibliogryphon said:

Just been to see the new Dungeons & Dragons film.

It is pitched absolutely perfectly. So much fun

Should come on this thread more often, I go to the cinema most weeks. Saw this a couple of weeks ago. Never played Dungeons and Dragons in my life but the trailer looked really good and I was hoping it hadn't ruined all the best jokes. Didn't need to worry, great fun, enjoyable adventure quest romp. Would be perfectly happy to see a sequel.

• Like 2

I watched some:
Inheritance (2020), The Stranger (2022), Evil Dead Rise (2023), Sadako DX (2022) Bed Rest (2022), The Deep End of the Ocean (1999), Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 (2023), for I find a movie bad, it has to be really bad, I liked them all

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Worked the show for The 5,6,7,8's last night.

They put on  fantastic performance 

PXL_20230513_041047396.jpg

PXL_20230513_042903573.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Worked the show for The 5,6,7,8's last night.

Steps tribute act?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just been to see A Haunting in Venice which led Mrs B to declare that I am no longer to be trusted to pick films and she is never going to see another bloody Kenneth Branagh film ever again

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Just been to see A Haunting in Venice which led Mrs B to declare that I am no longer to be trusted to pick films and she is never going to see another bloody Kenneth Branagh film ever again

I love Branagh films, I saw Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express.

58 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I honestly think that your wife is not wrong.

With Kenneth Branagh, I always expect to be disappointed.

• Like 3

I went to the cinema to watch the movie «Barbie»….I lost two hours of my life watching that cinematographic waste. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Gisooo said:

I love Branagh films, I saw Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express.

When I watched Death on the Nile I was constantly comparing it to the Ustinov version and it did not really match up bit I thought my judgement was clouded. I was unfamiliar with the source material for this one so thought it a better marker to judge by. I think a lot of the issues are down to dear old Agatha but it is overdone from a directorial point of view

• Like 1

Bit late to this particular party but last night we streamed the Barbie movie

It is absolutely pitched perfect with a fantastic cast, script and message

I can get that it is not for some people but the over-reaction in some portions of the media actually proves the point that the film is trying to make.

A lot has focused on Margot Robbie in the title role but I think that people should also recognise just how good America Ferrera is.

My wife and daughter went to the cinema to see this a few weeks ago and the both admitted that they cried and I know that my wife does not normally cry at movies (I do she doesn't)

• Like 5

I just watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 today, even though it's a romantic-comedy family movie, tears flowed from my eyes when I watched the events as they happened, not because it was sad but because it gave you a warm feeling (I don't know but it was good).

New characters, old ones were not missing, some who were in the first and second films were not in the 3rd film like Harriet (Fiona Reid), Mike (Ian Gomez), Jayne Eastwood (Mrs. White) and Grandmother (Bess Meisler)

RIP Michael Constantine (Gus/Kosta), Bruce Gray (Rodney) and Mark Margolis (Panos)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gisooo said:

I just watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 today, even though it's a romantic-comedy family movie, tears flowed from my eyes when I watched the events as they happened, not because it was sad but because it gave you a warm feeling (I don't know but it was good).

New characters, old ones were not missing, some who were in the first and second films were not in the 3rd film like Harriet (Fiona Reid), Mike (Ian Gomez), Jayne Eastwood (Mrs. White) and Grandmother (Bess Meisler)

RIP Michael Constantine (Gus/Kosta), Bruce Gray (Rodney) and Mark Margolis (Panos)

Fantastic! Number 1! The best! ;) I enjoyed it. I'm not pretending it's high art, but it was a good heartwarming film as you say. 

While I'm here, film of the week was "The Great Escaper", Michael Caine's farewell picture and Glenda Jackson's posthumous release. While on paper, it may seem like your classic British eccentric tale, told to humorous effect, it was actually much more nuanced than that, touching on old age, the fragility of life, the memories we create, the guilt we carry and the secrets we hide away. Both Caine and Jackson are superb but the supporting cast do a great job too. Yes, it has a little of the classic British caper about it, but it goes far beyond that. An excellent way for two screen legends to bow out.

• Like 4

One of my friends is the kind of insane Taylor Swift fan who draws the number 13 on her hand and makes friendship bracelets with acronyms like "NGSITCATAWYD". She's been trying to make me a Swiftie for several years. Well, I went to see the Eras Tour concert film and I think my friend succeeded.

Everyone has opinions about Swift, but it's cool to witness a musician taking over the world in a way that none have in my lifetime.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

One of my friends is the kind of insane Taylor Swift fan who draws the number 13 on her hand and makes friendship bracelets with acronyms like "NGSITCATAWYD". She's been trying to make me a Swiftie for several years. Well, I went to see the Eras Tour concert film and I think my friend succeeded.

Everyone has opinions about Swift, but it's cool to witness a musician taking over the world in a way that none have in my lifetime.

I'm a closet Swiftie. In that, I don't own any of her albums, I am not going to the cinema to see the Era Tour, but can't help but admire her cultural significance and the fact she seems to keep churning out decent music at an alarming rate. It is quite incredible to see - in the USA, Scorsese's latest masterpiece debuted at No. 2 in the box office BEHIND Taylor Swift, who's already been out a week! This is an insane, if not unhealthy, level of fandom, and while she must be incredibly grateful on one level, it must be exhausting and unnerving on another. And I accept the inevitable counter argument that she invites a certain level of "celebrity" on herself.

*Confirming my lack of Swiftie credentials, I have absolutely no idea what that acronym is meant to mean...

• Like 2