Grim_Rita

Alec Bedser

Any info/thread on the cricketer?

Didn't realise Sir Alec was 88! But I can't find any suggestion of ill health.

The pic is from 2001:

_1294962_bedser301.jpg

Bedser's twin brother Eric died in May, aged 87. Apparently, Alec's friends were worried about him as he and Eric were very close (they were inseperable and neither married), but Alec seems to be doing ok. That's all I know.

Bedser's twin brother Eric died in May, aged 87. Apparently, Alec's friends were worried about him as he and Eric were very close (they were inseperable and neither married), but Alec seems to be doing ok. That's all I know.

Identical twin no less...

Just checked an old electoral roll and they lived together, so it could well add to his problems. Didn't realise that, but as I said, I wouldn't consider him all that likely for 2007.

He was recently interviewed in the special Ashes supplement that was given away with the Times a couple of weeks ago.

"Sir Alec Bedser, the one surviving member of the England party that toured Australia 60 years ago, is contemplating making what will be his 25th visit to his favourite country this winter."

Quite a few interesting facts: he still lives in the Woking house his father built in 1953, he has portraits of himself and former Surrey and England captain Peter May and a letter from Sir Donald Bradman "detailing in the friendliest of terms how his bowling could be improved [bedser's bowling, presumably]."

He goes on to complain about the state Britain is in today, and criticises the modern game in the manner common to long-retired players. On Kevin Pietersen: "It's a pity he's a South African and not an Englishman. He's a cocky bugger and I can't stand him."

He wrote to Lancashire suggesting how James Anderson might improve his action, " but, although the club replied, the player did not." Rather like Tom Finney offering tips to Wayne Rooney.

"Ray Lindwall [old-time Aussie bowler] was the best bowler ... he never bowled a wide, not like Steve Harmison." (I wonder if he saw Harmy's first ball at Brisbane)

And so it goes on. He finishes, "I have stayed with the same families in Australia for 40 years and would like to be there now, given the state this country is in."

It's being so cheerful that keeps him going, you know ...

Dying no, but I see his home getting turned over big time if he's so happy to give his antipodian travel plans to the press.

Dying no, but I see his home getting turned over big time if he's so happy to give his antipodian travel plans to the press.

I hope you are not suggesting that rogue journos would go and help themselves to his goodies :lol::lol::lol:

ok what about this one!! 'alec bedser' the twin brother of eric bedser (who died may 2006)famous cricketers and twins, on avarage how much longer does one twin last longer than another?

anyway food for thought and a new name to discuss

[Topics merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Following the death of Arthur McIntyre, Alec Bedser is now England's oldest surviving test cricketer.

OK, I was curious about what the difference was between "test" and "regular" cricket, so I went and looked it up. I will admit to not really understanding the game, but do I read it right in that in a "test" match, the players play for six hours a day for up to five days straight?

OK, I was curious about what the difference was between "test" and "regular" cricket, so I went and looked it up. I will admit to not really understanding the game, but do I read it right in that in a "test" match, the players play for six hours a day for up to five days straight?

It's just taken England a mere four and a quarter days to give South Africa a sound thrashing.

Here's a quick rules refresher, CA, as inscribed on many a tea towel (dish towel):

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

It's just taken England a mere four and a quarter days to give South Africa a sound thrashing.

Here's a quick rules refresher, CA, as inscribed on many a tea towel (dish towel):

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

OK. If your tea towel says so.

I'm sticking to baseball.

Yes, they do, and there may still not be a winner.

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Good to see you address the serious things in life in a more acceptable fontage Harry!

The Telegraph have just published an obituary within the last hour. Another name removed from the DL who has bitten the dust this year... oh dear. :wheelchair:

Guest Guest
The Telegraph have just published an obituary within the last hour. Another name removed from the DL who has bitten the dust this year... oh dear. :wheelchair:

When was he on the list?

Sir Alec Bedser died on the 4th April 2010

Sir Alec Bedser died on the 4th April 2010

Thanks for that info.

Love

from

Dr Watson

From what I heard, the two never married and had no children. They were inseparable and never separated, they lived together in the same house

Incest? I think so

Edited by Éricles Souza
Incest
  • Confused 3