Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Ronnie

2007 DL Nominations Please

I hope this doesn't turn into a large debate, because I don't think this is the right forum to do so in

I don't think you understand. This is www.Deathlist.net

You're right. I'm just trying to use caution since I'm new here.

Dave Mustaine, lead singer of MegaDETH, just got a feeling on this one....probably be proven wrong though

Cheeta the chimp would be an excellent selection, wasn't Red Rum on the list one year?

So why not Cheeta, he's a world famous movie star and the world's oldest known chimp.

Over the years, rules have become more sifisticated. Red Rum was on the list a few years ago, but in Deathlists modern day, Cheeta would be considered illegal.

BS is correct - no animals. One reason is that most animals have much shorter life spans than humans, so one would start approaching fish in a barrel territory by picking e.g. the White House dog (insert Bush joke here).

I suppose an agrument could be made that any animal with an expected life span similar to that of humans could be considered (here's a somewhat haphazard list some Doolittle type posted http://sonic.net/~petdoc/lifespan.htm. Some of the numbers he quotes look like so much bullshit, but anyway), but the Committee decided against.

Ahmet Ertugun is dead - too late for that one!

Good call though, OoO

Ertugun dead.

Not Olivia de Havilland. She looked ready to rock til 100 at her party recently.

My suggestions:

Saddam Hussein - execution

Lansana Conte - very ill

Ariel Sharon - coma

Fidel Castro - terminally ill?

Maurice Papon - the bastard has to go soon

Basil d'Oliviera - very ill with Parkinson's

Ahmet Ertugun - coma

Frederick Chiluba - very ill with heart probs

Luciano Pavarotti - pancreatic cancer

Louis Farrkahan - cancer

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - cancer

Phil Hill - very frail & ill fast

Charlie Drake - ill

Jesse Helms - dementia

Kurt Waldheim - frail, internal bleeding

Sargent Shriver - alzheimers

Richard Widmark - lucky pick

Why Jack Jones? From what I can tell he is a 68 year old in good health.

Jack Jones

Sorry Weatherman, I should have been clearer. I meant this Jack Jones. Famous enough here, but not internationally I agree. He might get a knighthood too.

That would make more sense.

Why Jack Jones? From what I can tell he is a 68 year old in good health.

Jack Jones

Sorry Weatherman, I should have been clearer. I meant this Jack Jones. Famous enough here, but not internationally I agree. He might get a knighthood too.

John Demjanjuk - 86 - Nazi

Luise Rainer - 97 Acress

Mitch Miller - 95 - Bandleader

John Paul Stevens - 86 - US Supreme Court justice

Art Linkletter - 94 - Entertainment

Sargent Shriver - 91 - Politics '(Alzheimers)

Phil Rizzuto - 89 - Hall of fame Yankee player and broadcaster.

Oral Roberts - 88 - Religion

Yasuhiro Nakasone - 88 - Former PM of Japan

Al Molinaro - 87 - Actor

John Glenn - 85 - Exploration

Walter Mondale - 79 - Former VP

Norman Wisdom - 91 - Actor

Clive Dunn - 86 - Deathlist Favorite

I just have a couple of suggestions that I couldn't see mentioned in earlier posts

George Beverly Shea - 97 (98 on Feb 1st) Religious singer often follows Billy Graham around

Steven Adler - 41 (has suffered a stroke and also a heart attack in the past, still hasn't kicked drug habit)

Some corkers above with which I wholeheartedly agree, a few others I think we should consider:

Michael DeBakey

Lindsey Hughes: A particular favourite at MPFC Towers, academic and notable to the point of assured broadsheet obit, and suffering a touch of the old terminal liver cancer.

Evel Knieval

Tsien Hsue-shen: Father of Chinese Rocketry, unlikely to be blasting for another year.

Anton Balasingham;Tamil Tiger negotiator

Edward Upward: Another MPFC Towers favourite, poet who's already topped a ton in age. Broadsheet obits already prepared, apparantly.

Some corkers above with which I wholeheartedly agree, a few others I think we should consider:

Already dead.

Aye, thanks lads, been a bit busy workwise of late, couldn't make his funeral meself like. Still think I've got a winner or two in my other picks, mind.

Michael DeBakey

I like this one, very unwell as of late and quiet since his blood clot.

Lindsey Hughes: A particular favourite at MPFC Towers, academic and notable to the point of assured broadsheet obit, and suffering a touch of the old terminal liver cancer.

While I don't doubt that she'll get a UK obit, I'd say not famous enough for DL standards (at least, that's what I guess the committee will say)

Evel Knieval

Preparing a lawsuit against Kanye West, so I guess he plans on being around for a while.

Tsien Hsue-shen: Father of Chinese Rocketry, unlikely to be blasting for another year.

Another one I like, and thus suggested above. Interesting and frail.

Dead as noted.

Edward Upward: Another MPFC Towers favourite, poet who's already topped a ton in age. Broadsheet obits already prepared, apparantly.

A good one I think, but I believe DL is trying to steer away from centenarians this coming year...

Lindsey Hughes; who?

Michael DeBakey; who?

Tsien Hsue-shen; who?

Edward Upward; who?

I'm sure the DL committee can come up with some real celebs who might cark it, as opposed to these obscure individuals.

Michael DeBakey; who?

He's a pioneering heart surgeon

Edward Upward; who?

103 year old novelist

Michael DeBakey; who?

I know who they all are, though I wouldn't have if they hadn't been mentioned on DL.

Hardly household names though are they.

Michael DeBakey; who?

I know who they all are, though I wouldn't have if they hadn't been mentioned on DL.

Hardly household names though are they.

DeBakey's been mentioned a few times, in fact he's on my CPDP

Upward I think has been mentioned once before. The others I don't think they've been mentioned at all

Lindsey Hughes; who?

Michael DeBakey; who?

Tsien Hsue-shen; who?

Edward Upward; who?

I'm sure the DL committee can come up with some real celebs who might cark it, as opposed to these obscure individuals.

I'd never heard of George Best before I came to this site? Does that make him obscure? No, it just means I don't watch British football, and I'm sure no one would have had a problem with putting him on the list.

It's all relative, you can't say someone is obscure just because YOU have never heard of them.

Furthermore, with the exception of Hughes, all of those are at least as famous as, say, Niemeyer, Kunitz, Levi-Strauss, Rayner, Melly etc. in the global sense... some of them may be known very well in Britain, but relative to the world, they're just as famous as DeBakey, Hsue-shen or Upward and would probably make for better threads than a few of them too...

MPFC you have gone about this Lindsey Hughes woman so much and so long that I feel as if she lives next door. No-one else but you seems to know who the hell she is or what her ailment is but my faith in your judgement is such that I feel I have to list her. So she's my MPFC bonus selection in the DDP (unless I lose heart tomorrow).

Lindsey Hughes; who?

Michael DeBakey; who?

Tsien Hsue-shen; who?

Edward Upward; who?

I'd never heard of George Best before I came to this site? Does that make him obscure? No, it just means I don't watch British football, and I'm sure no one would have had a problem with putting him on the list.

It's all relative, you can't say someone is obscure just because YOU have never heard of them.

Furthermore, with the exception of Hughes, all of those are at least as famous as, say, Niemeyer, Kunitz, Levi-Strauss, Rayner, Melly etc. in the global sense... some of them may be known very well in Britain, but relative to the world, they're just as famous as DeBakey, Hsue-shen or Upward and would probably make for better threads than a few of them too...

I'm betting that 90% of the world's population have never heard of them, they're far too obscure.

I agree with you on Kunitz though, he should never have been on the list.

Tammy Faye Messner is pretty obscure in the UK. I think you'd struggle to find more than 3 people in a workplace of 100 that would know who she actually was rather than sometimes hearing the name. And that 1 of those 3 will say she's a singer....

Tammy Faye Messner is pretty obscure in the UK. I think you'd struggle to find more than 3 people in a workplace of 100 that would know who she actually was rather than sometimes hearing the name. And that 1 of those 3 will say she's a singer....

But she's pretty darn famous in the US of A. Whereas the four names mentioned above probably aren't even famous in their home towns.

But she's pretty darn famous in the US of A. Whereas the four names mentioned above probably aren't even famous in their home towns.

Oh I quite agree, and won't dispute that. If it wasn't for MPFC, and MPFC alone I wouldn't even heard of Lindsey Hughes or Edward Upyours.

But my point with Messner is not all these US "titans of fame" muster even a raised eyebrow here in the UK -Red Auerbach who, to use just one example? (first thought was Red Adair, the firefighter had died, then realised he was dead already)- It's a two way thing.