Sign in to follow this  
Cowboy Ronnie

2007 DL Nominations Please

I don't think Messner would be famous enough to merit a place on the Dl.

However she is a cult figure and is thus fair game on the DDP..

Upward is a writer and was an associate of Christopher Isherwood and so would

clean up in the British obits...whether that is enough for the DL..?

"Edward Upward" almost 23,000 Google hits, "Tammy Faye" almost 500,000 Google hits.

"Edward Upward" almost 23,000 Google hits, "Tammy Faye" almost 500,000 Google hits.

Stanley Kunitz, 131,000. Lou Rawls 543,000. Alfredo di Stefano, 33,000. Ronnie Biggs, 53,900.

I actually agree with you mostly TF, I'm just being a sh*t disturber because it's kinda fun. :rip:

Seriously though, to point out that it's fairly hit and miss when it comes to "famous."

Stanley Kunitz, 131,000. Lou Rawls 543,000. Alfredo di Stefano, 33,000. Ronnie Biggs, 53,900.

I actually agree with you mostly TF, I'm just being a sh*t disturber because it's kinda fun. :rip:

Seriously though, to point out that it's fairly hit and miss when it comes to "famous."

A bit of a lottery this. Godot - 2.75m. Mind, John Smith gets 1.64m.

Windsor - 48,700,000.

Upward is a writer and was an associate of Christopher Isherwood

Who?

Christopher Isherwood. Wrote 'Goodbye to Berlin', which inspired the film 'Cabaret'...

Just to put my 2 cents in - I would really really like to see Tammy on the list if she survives. She is almost a 100% guarantee. I think she makes the famous-enough cut - plenty of google results, and I heard of her before DL (for what its worth). She also has a lengthy wikipedia article, which I sometimes use as a guideline.

To put it into perspective, I'm guessing that between 700-900 articles would show up on google news upon her death. That is a pretty big number - Peter Boyle pulled in about 825.

Windsor - 48,700,000.

I've just googled 'lard bazaar' - 565 results, one of them being a wholesaler for, ahem...marital aids.

Not if you choose the option "pages from the UK"

Tammy Faye Messner - 65 hits

Edward Upward - 280 hits

But as CP said, this is somewhat flawed.

Anyway, Octopus of Odstock brings in a global total of.......... 6

:rip:

All right, I'll have a go....

21,000 (global), 542 (UK)....

I think I might change my name, it was never the most original moniker.... :rip:

Bugger, lit the fire, chilled out and missed some lively debate on this thread prompted by my suggestions. All good stuff, thanks for yer opinions. Re Ms Hughes, I take the 'not famous enough' argument on the chin but she's just about in there. Own wiki page and that. My main reason for pushing her is that she's almost the sort of banker pick Lou Rawles gave us last year. At least, the last rumour I heard said she was. Put it this way, I'm guessing Wham's 'Last Christmas' is banned in her house at the moment.

Bugger, lit the fire, chilled out and missed some lively debate on this thread prompted by my suggestions. All good stuff, thanks for yer opinions. Re Ms Hughes, I take the 'not famous enough' argument on the chin but she's just about in there. Own wiki page and that. My main reason for pushing her is that she's almost the sort of banker pick Lou Rawles gave us last year. At least, the last rumour I heard said she was. Put it this way, I'm guessing Wham's 'Last Christmas' is banned in her house at the moment.

What about Blue Christmas?

I'll get my coat....

I think this idea may need a little more research; but previously Ultra skinny Models Ana Carolina Reston and Luisel Ramos managed to starve themselves to death.

Possibly next year will bring another Undernourished death. Models Esther Cañadas, Olga Sherer, Vlada Roslyakova and Maria Dvirnik could all be interesting candidates.

[Topics merged - ff]

Edited by football_fan

Skinny models do their liver and kidneys no favours, a few years down the line such a creature could be an inspired pick.

Windsor - 48,700,000.

I've just googled 'lard bazaar' - 565 results, one of them being a wholesaler for, ahem...marital aids.

Sorry, had to join in...

TLC - worldwide 22,600,000, UK 886,000.

My full name, nothing. I one day hope the French transport company I share my surname with tries to corner the uk market as my surname.co.uk website might get a few extra hits i.e. some. Not that there's anything there anymore, I kind of lost interest after discovering I could just about create web pages, but couldn't then think of anything to put on them.... :blink:

The (seriously) planned virtual Asda shopping 3D reality experience never really got going due to my not being arsed enough to get the photos developed....

I'm betting that 90% of the world's population have never heard of them, they're far too obscure.

Obscure might be the word, but if there job on this earth is worth the time of Deathlist, knowing there part had been hollered in the loud speaker before, even if people didn't pay close attention, I would leave the doors open wide.

I'm betting that 90% of the world's population have never heard of them, they're far too obscure.

Obscure might be the word, but if there job on this earth is worth the time of Deathlist, knowing there part had been hollered in the loud speaker before, even if people didn't pay close attention, I would leave the doors open wide.

Come on Banshees, this is easy to learn. If it's posessive, if it belong's to people, then we say "their". If it's a place we talk about "there". This is not difficult to grasp. It's junior school English grammar.

Now get it right.

regards,

Godot

I agree with keeping de Havilland off the list. True, her A-list quality makes her tempting, but she seems quite active and lucid for her age; there are many who are older and many who are sicker.

Keeping Solzhenitsyn around seems important to me - both him and Vonnegut seem to be just sitting around waiting to die, and you can never overestimate the impact of losing "joie de vivre."

I'm a Canadian born to American parents, so I'm not sure who flies as celebs in the UK (neither one of my 60-something New York City parents has ever heard of Stanley Kunitz), but here are a few, some already mentioned here, some not:

Jack Kevorkian - may be suffering from a strain of Slowly Dying Dictator Syndrome, in which a controversial figure claims to be dying for ten years and still won't kick it; I suspect he's on the level. And who would know better, really?

Les Paul - it's hard to know at his age, but he seems to have missed numerous public appearances

George Jones - may not be known in the UK. country singer with chronic history and recent bouts with pneumonia.

Rogert Ebert - sure, he SEEMS fine now, but that was an awful lot of sick in the past year.

Janez Drnovsek - last i heard, the Slovenian president was refusing treatment and sticking with all-natural remedies.

Humphrey Lyttelton - aw, but i like him, so please don't pick him.

John Mahoney - Frasier co-star has something up with his pancreas.

Paddy Roy Bates - how much longer can Sealand carry on?

Suzanne Pleshette/Tom Poston - this could be a duprass in the works. If one of the American sitcom actors goes, so will the other. Again, I don't know how well they're known in the UK.

General Paul Tibbets - was reported as "too ill to fly," which is exactly what they said about Don Knotts.

Wendy Richard - Served!

Most of the other obvious picks (Forsythe, Sharon, Astor, Heston, Griffith, Castro, Vidal, etc.) have been set. This forum is so expansive - is there a keep/drop poll option for names on the current list, or one where we people can pick, say, 5 out of 20 tentative new names? I realize such things wouldn't be official, but it would be handy.

Also, what is the current status of Harold Pinter? He seemed like a lock last year but reports have fallen silent in my neck of the woods.

Interested you went for Wendy Richard Starch. I thought that was one of my bummest picks in the past year. I don't think she will last more than a few years more. But unless you have some lowdown on whether she left Eastenders for health reasons it's difficult to pick her.

Run Run Shaw: 100 year old Asian media mogul. Famous enough to count for our purposes and the kind of character who might prompt some interesting debate, a la Al Lewis, since his surprising traits include patronage of education.

Come on Banshees, this is easy to learn. If it's posessive, if it belong's to people, then we say "their". If it's a place we talk about "there". This is not difficult to grasp. It's junior school English grammar.

Now get it right.

regards,

Godot

O I typed one possibly two words wrong, and Mr.Godot comes on with a school - book lecture. Sorry I couldn't bite it the right way, my fault.

is there a keep/drop poll option for names on the current list, or one where we people can pick, say, 5 out of 20 tentative new names? I realize such things wouldn't be official, but it would be handy.

I did two polls on the "who shall we keep/drop" last month and worked out the rankings for the admin guys.

One easy way of finding polls is just to use the search functions at the foot of the tread title listing page with the "poll" option high-lighted in the "topic" box.

The top twenty five carry forward names in their respective positions at this time would be:-

Harold Pinter

Gerald Ford

Claude Levi-Strauss

Brooke Astor

Lady Bird Johnson

Ronnie Biggs

Suharto

Clive Dunn

Billy Graham

Charlton Heston

George Melly

Kirk Douglas

Muhammad Ali

Jane Wyman

Charles Lane

Kurt Waldheim

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Elizabeth Taylor

Michael Foot

Oscar Niemeyer

Margaret Thatcher

Ingmar Bergman

Dino de Laurentiis

JD Salinger

Ernest Gallo

The resurve names list being headed by Dom Mintoff and is as follows:-

Dom Mintoff

Norman Wisdom

Albert Hofmann

Abdelaziz Bouteflika

Eli Wallach

Mickey Rooney

Tony Curtis

Nelson Mandela

Jake Lamotta

Vera Lynn

Alfredo di Stefano

Claire Rayner

Patrick Moore

Run Run Shaw: 100 year old Asian media mogul. Famous enough to count for our purposes and the kind of character who might prompt some interesting debate, a la Al Lewis, since his surprising traits include patronage of education.

But fit as a fiddle & still partying, as proved on my post about him last month. Leave well alone, Deathlist, leave well alone.