Sign in to follow this  
Octopus of Odstock

Will Ill Kill Phil Hill?

I know this fellow is covered in the motor racing thread, but in all fairness, the man deserves a thread of his own - he is, after all a World Champion in a sport that has a large worldwide audience.

Phil was doing quite well, until a recent downturn and is now a shadow of the man he used to be. The problems with getting about that he now as is akin to Pinter's current state. Son Derek has quit racing himself to help Phil get about.

The latest news with Phil was that he was at a dinner to celebrate the racing career of friend Chuck Daigh this weekend, so he's still getting around & about.

But it might well be worth reading this article;-

1) It gives an excellent statement of his current health

2) It gives an excellent background into who exactly Phil Hill is.

I appreciate many have named teams already for 2007 and the DL has candidates locked for next year, likewise, but this is no worse a candidate for 2008, then say, Jimmy Savile or Bruce Forsyth, I guess... perhaps more so.

Admin/Mods, hope you understand why I've set up a separate thread and please feel free to move any posts from the motor racing thread into this one - especially the photos.

The article, by the way, is here. Phil Hill remembers Monza

and don't say that I don't give you any motor racing insider tips..... :huh: (at least, MIB, it isn't an African leader :o )

He was a player for a while but one thing that marks his generation out re the lasting fame thing is that many retired young, assuming they were still alive and the whole corporate schmoozing retirement plan was less developed then. Meaning that a few legends of his era dropped off the radar fairly soon.

Hill also lucked into his world title - in a manner of speaking - when his higher profile German team mate who was leading the championship was killed in the 1961 Italian Grand Prix. Hill won that race and, with the one guy who could have beaten his total points dead the same day, became champion unexpectedly. We did discuss the fact hereabouts that the only two US world champions both won their titles at the Italian Grand Prix as a result of their team mates dying in accidents at the same race. Technically speaking Mario Andretti in 1978 had to wait a while until Ronnie Peterson died in hospital but from the second they hauled him out of the inferno the title was obviously Andretti's, Peterson wasn't initially expected to die but his season was obviously over.

Phil may be old and ill, but he's one of the few drivers left who drove for Ferrari in the late 50s-early 60s. What must it have been like to see Castelotti, Musso, Collins, de Portago and Trips die before their 35th birthdays and have to drive the same cars as they did? They say that Enzo was to blame for all that. He tended to hire more drivers than he had cars for and pressurise them into driving faster by hinting that someone else may have their ride for the next race. Hill's view of racing was soured by his years at Ferrari, but unlike more than a few, he came through it.

He was more perceptive than most too. Checking out the driving of his new 19 year old team mate Ricardo Rodriguez Hill said "If he lives, I'll be surprised." Ricardo didn't live to see 21. Robert Daley's book "The Cruel Sport" has excellent coverage of Phil Hill during this era.

I´d have gone for Phil Hill Still Ill? as a title but there you go...

With Barbera having snuffed it, Hill might be a good choice to replace on the DL as well

as my own ´shadow´deathlist. Probably not on my DDP however... -_-

Phil is 80 today!

Phil is having a relatively quiet day at home, I understand, to celebrate his birthday.

You are joking, 80 years old?!? Bloody hell, time really does fly.

Often, when an active person suddenly goes quiet, you start wondering if there's something wrong with them, especially when you know they're getting frailer.

Well, it looks like Phil Hill might hang in a little longer, after my original fears.He's competiting in the Porto Historic GP.

So well enough to fly to Portugal, well enough to drive racing cars, but strangely not that well enough to walk long distances unaided.... :huh:

Having said all that, I've moved him down my list & moved a few other racing drivers up, for the time being at least.

If you look at my above ruminating, it was clear that Phil Hill had taken a downturn of health recently, but I was unable to pin-point precisely what the illness was. Well, it's been confirmed as Parkinson's Disease.

So, maybe it won't kill him just yet, especially as he is still making the odd festival, but the man is 80 after all & can't go on forever.

Still a decent candidate, I think, for a DL or DDP place.

If you look at my above ruminating, it was clear that Phil Hill had taken a downturn of health recently, but I was unable to pin-point precisely what the illness was. Well, it's been confirmed as Parkinson's Disease.

A bit of a shaky diagnosis if you ask me.

Although tempted to put it in the motor racing & the hospitalised thread, I'll put it here - Phil Hill was taken ill just before last week's Monterey Historic Festival & was hospitalised. He's still in there, but said to be recovering well, whatever that means...

A little while back, young TMIB wrote that when certain famous people die, to the likes of some of us, it is so upsetting we don't quite know how to react to the news. (or something akin to that)

Alas, it has happened to me tonight.

Phil Hill, 1961 World Champion, motor racing legend, musician, restorer & above all, gentleman has died of complications of Parkinson's Disease this afternoon.

Full obituaries to come very shortly.

:sicktherm: Phil.

A little while back, young TMIB wrote that when certain famous people die, to the likes of some of us, it is so upsetting we don't quite know how to react to the news. (or something akin to that)

Phil Hill, 1961 World Champion, motor racing legend, musician, restorer & above all, gentleman has died of complications of Parkinson's Disease this afternoon.

Obit in the L.A. Times

Sad news OoO, that's how I felt when Janez Drnovsek died...although I did have him on my DDP team, which helped a bit. :P

That's the thing with Parkinson's, you can live with the disease for years, but it has so many potential serious side affects that the end can be very sudden.

That was rather sudden...I thought he'd be alright for a bit.

The only American-born driver to win the Formula 1 Motor Racing Championship...

RIP :sicktherm:

He might have been a gentleman but his inconsiderate demise has forced a last minute reshuffle in my CPDP line up.